GDT: WJC, Jan 2: US vs. Latvia, 5:00 p.m. local, 11:00 a.m. EST

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Smith will turn pro I’m guessing. He was drafted too high to go back to school and I think he’s ready. The other two will be the team leaders along with Eiserman and Hagens from the 06s.
As a Sharks fan, I think Smith will most likely be at the WJC next year. Sharks have no reason to rush him and he’s not physically ready for the pros.

Reactions: Chainshot

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
As a Sharks fan, I think Smith will most likely be at the WJC next year. Sharks have no reason to rush him and he’s not physically ready for the pros.
I think another year in school would be good for Smith. He's the prototypical kid who could use another 5-10lbs of muscle before he makes the jump

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC
Latvia's path trough the tournament has been weird. Three unimpressive games (SWE, CAN, FIN), zero goals, little resistance. Then, suddenly, the game vs. Germany, a team which had been looking really good before: 6-2 win. Today they are heading towards another clear loss, again giving little resistance. Was this their plan? To focus on the game vs. Germany to avoid the relegation game, and nothing more? That would kind of suck, especially considering the guys are juniors who should be extra enthusiastic about the game.
I’d say Latvia tried to win today, it was much different from the round Robin losses. Had some good moments but ultimately USA is obviously better

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think another year in school would be good for Smith. He's the prototypical kid who could use another 5-10lbs of muscle before he makes the jump
Agreed. His conditioning seems abysmally and he could definitely use more strength.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Yes, it was always apparent the US simply had a much more stacked team. I was just expecting a bit more from the Latvia players, especially guys like D.Locmelis, Fenenko and a few others, because I consider them talented guys who can make very good careers in professional hockey. But this apparently wasn't their tournament. Still I see a big potential especially in Locmelis, was impressed by his performance at the men's WCH the last spring.
Locmelis is scoring at a PPG rate on a team that is scoring 1.6 goals a game. What exactly did you expect of him?

Fenenko has a neutral +/- on a team that has a -21 goal differential and he's playing 30 minutes a game.

• Wow
Reactions: onionsack and Pieck

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I'm a Will Smith fan. Thought he should have went 4. I expected more from this tournament from him. Thought he's been just okay.
Apparently, had Fantilli gone 2 to the Ducks, the Blue Jackets were prepared to take Smith ahead of Carlsson, and then Trotz was prepared to trade 15, a 2nd, Askarov, and possibly more to move to 4 to take Carlsson.

And yes, Smith has just been fine in this tournament. But watching his film predraft, he never seemed like a dominant, take over the game type. Leonard has more of that in him, at least from a physical presence & using that to take over.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Locmelis is scoring at a PPG rate on a team that is scoring 1.6 goals a game. What exactly did you expect of him?

Fenenko has a neutral +/- on a team that has a -21 goal differential and he's playing 30 minutes a game.

It is not so much about numbers. When I was watching them, I was often thinking "he could have made a better play here". That is nothing against these players, rather the opposite: I see both as future NHL players, and good ones.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I'd be a little surprised if he does turn pro, mainly because I don't think SJ will be in any rush to bring him on.
And he really does not seem to be physically ready to compete against men. I would be surprised if he goes pro next year.

hypereconomist

Mar 10, 2019
It really did look like Latvia was only playing not to get blown out by the US instead of genuinely trying to win. Not a bad effort overall though. The outcome could have easily been 5-2 without a softie or two like the one that flipped over Rolovs' pad.

Is a reach to say that Latvia would play more aggressive offense if they have more depth? I didn't realize it until looking at the game sheet afterward, but they only rolled five defensemen and three forward lines the entire game. Why not play Uljanskis? His underlying stats in the Swedish J20 league are good for a 17 year old.

And good on Stradnieks for making the most of his 2:00 of ice time and setting up the screen for Locmelis' first goal.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
It really did look like Latvia was only playing not to get blown out by the US instead of genuinely trying to win. Not a bad effort overall though. The outcome could have easily been 5-2 without a softie or two like the one that flipped over Rolovs' pad.

Is a reach to say that Latvia would play more aggressive offense if they have more depth? I didn't realize it until looking at the game sheet afterward, but they only rolled five defensemen and three forward lines the entire game. Why not play Uljanskis? His underlying stats in the Swedish J20 league are good for a 17 year old.

And good on Stradnieks for making the most of his 2:00 of ice time and setting up the screen for Locmelis' first goal.
Yeah, no.

You clearly did not watch the other Latvia games.

Uljanskis is good at moving the puck, but he has been prone to making positional mistakes defensively. He has to improve defensively in order to make it at the next level. They scored on Uljanskis in the first 20 seconds of him being on the ice. Same with Mots, a 1 minute shift and he got scored on.

They simply could not keep up and were benched, which was the only right decision to make.

Uljanskis will be a good player, but it's way early for him to be a difference maker.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I’d say Latvia tried to win today, it was much different from the round Robin losses. Had some good moments but ultimately USA is obviously better
Agreed - I wanted them to play hockey and I thought they gave a pretty good account of themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad