GDT: WJC, Jan 2: US vs. Latvia, 5:00 p.m. local, 11:00 a.m. EST

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The rout is on. Run the lines and pairs and keep everyone fresh and healthy for the semis.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
BC line could be really really special in this tournament next year, unless Smith is in the pros I guess.
Smith will turn pro I’m guessing. He was drafted too high to go back to school and I think he’s ready. The other two will be the team leaders along with Eiserman and Hagens from the 06s.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Smith will turn pro I’m guessing. He was drafted too high to go back to school and I think he’s ready. The other two will be the team leaders along with Eiserman and Hagens from the 06s.
You think he's ready for the league next year? Doesn't seem like a smart idea for him to be in the A with the Barracuda (for very long at least) since they've been a tire fire of a development team recently.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Latvia's path trough the tournament has been weird. Three unimpressive games (SWE, CAN, FIN), zero goals, little resistance. Then, suddenly, the game vs. Germany, a team which had been looking really good before: 6-2 win. Today they are heading towards another clear loss, again giving little resistance. Was this their plan? To focus on the game vs. Germany to avoid the relegation game, and nothing more? That would kind of suck, especially considering the guys are juniors who should be extra enthusiastic about the game.

• Haha
Reactions: Namejs

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You think he's ready for the league next year? Doesn't seem like a smart idea for him to be in the A with the Barracuda (for very long at least) since they've been a tire fire of a development team recently.
Yeah he can definitely crack the Sharks roster from my perspective.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
I'd be a little surprised if he does turn pro, mainly because I don't think SJ will be in any rush to bring him on.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007

I don't think so, he's had decent production in college but has not looked like a particularly NHL-ready skater. A little too weak, a little too under-conditioned. I think one more year in Boston is the likely outcome

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Latvia's path trough the tournament has been weird. Three unimpressive games (SWE, CAN, FIN), zero goals, little resistance. Then, suddenly, the game vs. Germany, a team which had been looking really good before: 6-2 win. Today they are heading towards another clear loss, again giving little resistance. Was this their plan? To focus on the game vs. Germany to avoid the relegation game, and nothing more? That would kind of suck, especially considering the guys are juniors who should be extra enthusiastic about the game.
Look at their club stats. They are just OK players and likely not in the top division at all if not for IIHF bans.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
We have 3 defenders and 6 or 7 forwards who can keep up with the US. The rest of them are completely overmatched in speed, skill and hockey IQ.

We're playing hockey and trying to score. Not sure what more do you expect.
And we're doing better than Slovakia so far, at least.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't think so, he's had decent production in college but has not looked like a particularly NHL-ready skater. A little too weak, a little too under-conditioned. I think one more year in Boston is the likely outcome
Would be good for USA. Next year is in Ottawa so the team will have to deal with getting booed and heckled every game. Experienced returning talent make a big difference in that environment.

Reactions: Church Hill

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
We have 3 defenders and 6 or 7 forwards who can keep up with the US. The rest of them are completely overmatched in speed, skill and hockey IQ.

Actually, it was only 5-2 after 2 periods vs Slovakia, after two late 2nd period goals by the US. The Slovaks held the edge in shots 32-27, while the US is outshooting Latvia 28-12.

Slovakia actually gave the US a game through the first 37 mins of the game, it was 3-2 late in the 2nd. Latvia was out of this one midway through the 1st.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Actually, it was only 5-2 after 2 periods vs Slovakia, after two late 2nd period goals by the US. The Slovaks held the edge in shots 32-27, while the US is outshooting Latvia 28-12.

Slovakia actually gave the US a game through the first 37 mins of the game, it was 3-2 late in the 2nd. Latvia was out of this one midway through the 1st.
What happened with Slovakia earlier today, by the way?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Can you name 3 teams that have a better roster and would move us to Div IA?
Russia and Belarus (whom I believe has surpassed Latvia) the last couple years would likely mean no Latvia or else they’d be right on the up for the second division/down from the top division yo-yo.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice

Yes, it was always apparent the US simply had a much more stacked team. I was just expecting a bit more from the Latvia players, especially guys like D.Locmelis, Fenenko and a few others, because I consider them talented guys who can make very good careers in professional hockey. But this apparently wasn't their tournament. Still I see a big potential especially in Locmelis, was impressed by his performance at the men's WCH the last spring.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I don't think they have played that much different in any of their games, it's just that they scored and built momentum in the game vs. Germany.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
What happened with Slovakia earlier today, by the way?
You mean when they played an incredibly evenly matched game against the Finns, not at all reflective of a 70/30 odds split? Slovakia was actually slightly better throughout the game, but obviously anything can happen in a sport like hockey.

Reactions: Chainshot

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Crazy that Howard has more goals than Gauthier in this tournament. Small sample size, sure, but I thought Gauthier was going to be sniping in every game. He'll likely get a big goal in the semifinal and/or final if they get there.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Crazy that Howard has more goals than Gauthier in this tournament. Small sample size, sure, but I thought Gauthier was going to be sniping in every game. He'll likely get a big goal in the semifinal and/or final if they get there.
Gauthier also hasn't been playing with any playmakers, for some odd reason. Snuggerud and McGroarty are both shooters, as is Gauthier. Never understood why they were put together as a trio.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I don't think they have played that much different in any of their games, it's just that they scored and built momentum in the game vs. Germany.
It is possible. Their game vs. Germany was one of the games I was unable to watch, I just checked the scoreboard a few times during the game and was surprised. I still think Latvia has some interesting prospects and their potential is bigger than shown in this tournament. Many people were sceptical about hockey in Latvia after they quit their partnership with the Russian system (the KHL/MHL), but I think this may actually help hockey in Latvia. Going to Sweden, Finland, or the NA junior leagues may at the end serve the talented guys better than spending hours and days in a bus travelling through Russia with the Riga junior team. The last men's WCH was also a big boost for Latvian hockey.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3