GDT: WJC, Jan 2: Finland vs. Slovakia, 12:00 p.m. local, 6:00 a.m. EST

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I won't lie... I hate this game. Two nations I enjoy a lot.

Don't care about exhibition and don't care about last game.

Good luck to both.. I am cheering for Slovakia but won't be upset at all if Finland advances.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
pesky fins will find a way to win . sweden game woke them up I think and there gonna be a pain in the ass to anyone in the qf or semi finals.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Slovakia been better at these games (even with that USA game) what us.
but hey, i thought Swedes would destroy us... so what do i know :)

Team Slovakia : better players, better coaching

We have to rely on our team play, we have to defend well as a whole 5 player unit in every shift
and get traffic front of Gajan and hope to get lucky with goals. AND NO STUPID MISTAKES BEHIND OUR OWN NET. (read: inside our own d-zone)

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Really looking forward to this game. Slovakia has been pretty impressive, but I think people are sleeping on Finland a bit. Sure, they had a really bad game against Germany, but it coloured people's perceptions as it happened early in the tournament, whereas people are much more forgiving of Slovakia's tough outing against the US as they had already shown to be a strong team.

I think it was a tactical mistake to sit Gajan in that US game, considering he was already going to get an off day both before and after that match. That decision lead to Slovakia getting absolutely trounced and potentially dampening the mojo they had been building.

I'm honestly not sure how to call this game, though I think Gajan could be the difference maker. I'll say Slovakia 4-3.

Reactions: BerthMania

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Kokko in net for Finland. Seems surprising. Kokko has lost 2 games and Vali has won 2 games.

Slovakia is a clear favourite. They have more talented and better team and much better goaltending.

I think Slovakia will beat Finland, just like they beat Finland in last year's U18 quarter-finals.

My prediction: Slovakia-Finland 5-2

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Kokko in net for Finland. Seems surprising. Kokko has lost 2 games and Vali has won 2 games.
Yes, but I didn't think those losses were particularly on Kokko. The Canada game particularly, I thought he was actually their best player.

king89

Dec 4, 2018
What's up with the early start when it's two European teams playing. A lot of people won't be able to watch this game.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo

Slovakia is a clear favourite. They have more talented and better team and much better goaltending.

I think Slovakia will beat Finland, just like they beat Finland in last year's U18 quarter-finals.

My prediction: Slovakia-Finland 5-2
Kokko is the better goalie. His numbers in Liiga are very solid and you can count in him being a pro goalie and have a decent career.

In fact, we don't have enough data to tell whether Kokko or Gajan is the better goalie of the two.

You should never base your judgment on 1 or 2 games, there's too much variance and luck involved. It's the right decision by the coaching staff.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Kokko is the better goalie. His numbers in Liiga are very solid and you can count in him being a pro goalie and have a decent career.

In fact, we don't have enough data to tell whether Kokko or Gajan is the better goalie of the two.

You should never base your judgment on 1 or 2 games, there's too much variance and luck involved. It's the right decision by the coaching staff.
Out of curiosity, what are you basing Kokko being the better goalie on? His Liiga numbers are practially identical to Vali’s and their styles are so different you can’t really draw a comparison on those alone.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3