WJC: Dec 29 GDT - Germany vs. Canada

OuchiesOuchies

Dec 29, 2006
I agree. People may not like the trapping system, but it's all Germany has until they can level out the talent base a little more. They look to be well on their way though, especially in net. I also hope that this tournament convinces someone to take a chance on German overagers like Stefaniszin & Gawlik.

I also love all the hilariously overconfident predictions early in this thread. The stuff like 7-1, or 9-1. This was exactly the type of game I expected. Germany plays a frustrating brand of piss-you-off hockey, and when mens-level teams sometimes succumb to frustration, you have to figure that the kids are going to let their emotions get the best of them and lead to some careless play and dumb mistakes.

I agree wholeheartedly, they played very well and remained disciplined throughout. If they can maintain this level of play in the future they will no longer be the whipping boy of the tourney.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
As a Canuck fan I kept my eye on Bourdon and was it ever disheartening. Continues to show such a lack of on-ice awreness. Got totally bailed out by Price on the third period shift were he let the German walk right in on Price. Overall, Bourdon plays like this and he will get murdered in the NHL. Has zero anticipation.

Germans were hard working and positionally great. Canada got very individulaistic at times.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
As a Canuck fan I kept my eye on Bourdon and was it ever disheartening. Continues to show such a lack of on-ice awreness. Got totally bailed out by Price on the third period shift were he let the German walk right in on Price. Overall, Bourdon plays like this and he will get murdered in the NHL. Has zero anticipation.

Germans were hard working and positionally great. Canada got very individulaistic at times.
I didn't think he had a terrible game or anything but he had one absolutely brutal shift (which culminated in the chance that you mentioned). He has all the tools to be dominant, I'm just not sure if he can put them all together.

Cogliano had a really frustrating game, he created a lot of scoring chances but he also turned the puck over like mad on the powerplay. I'm beginning to think he might not fit in on a line with Downie, Cogliano likes to use his speed on the rush but Downie prefers dumping the puck in deep and getting the cycle game going.

Thank god Gagner was taken off the top powerplay unit, the play died every single time it touched his stick today.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico

I thought it was just me that thought he looked bad.
Guess not.

OuchiesOuchies

Dec 29, 2006
I think it's been the best ever, well besides adding Domi.

I disagree. I've never seen a tournament with so many missed faceoffs due to ads over-running. It's not imperative, but it is poor production. The camera work has been decent, considering the tournament is in Europe, which makes it doubly hard (expensive) for TSN. On the whole, I'd give them a B. That said, with this year's advent of TSN's live stream on broadband, I have to give them a hearty handclap - they've helped out a lot of people with that.

yeah, i think its been even worse than that to be honest...the first 2 days they had all sorts of technical difficulties (i.e. the clock was wayyyy off, no powerplay info being displayed, commercials over running). Add to that the exuberant but lackluster play by play with several missed calls and the constant commiserating with the ****** officiating and it barely merits a B-.

Then the final straw is the stream of cliches you have to endure at intermission from Bob McKenzie. Yeah Bob, I know we need to 'put the puck in the net' and 'play good positional hockey' and all that ***** but how about some actual analysis, how bout breaking down the trap we saw today or how the US defense was pinching too hard in the last game or anything else remotely relevant.

my grade: C

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Despite the loss, which was to be expected, I'm very happy with the German team so far. And I'm sure they learned a lot playing a team as skilled and talented as the Canadians.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Anyone have any clue why Toews got credit for the 2nd assist on Canada's 2nd goal and not Cogliano (Cogliano definitely made the pass to Letang)?

espo*

My point is that the germans are the best there is when it comes to teamplay and psyche. Just look at their footballteam. They are unbelievable.

You are getting German domination in the game of hockey from one tournament and the fact they play a good team game in football?(they have'nt won that in awhile either) They would definately be good but you're making quite a leap that they would ever dominate in hockey from what you are basing it on.and population does'nt garuntee dominantion either if you think their 80 plus million would do the trick along with the other asset you mention.........look at Russia.

Very questionable thesis at best.

Last edited by a moderator:

espo*

Whew! we broke them but it sure was'nt easy.Cogliano finnally asserted himself and that's good news.

Good game by the german team,they skated well all 3 periods and played one of the best games i've ever seen them play at this thing.

Canada is going to have a rough road to Gold.They can do it but this team is far below many teams we've sent to this thing on offensive ability.They are good enough to get the job done but from here on in it's all tough sledding.

Toews again very good,Price solid,...the usual suspects plus Russell on D.
The semi-final will be hairy.

LongRoad

Jan 5, 2005
My point is that the germans are the best there is when it comes to teamplay and psyche. Just look at their footballteam. They are unbelievable.
Something sounds funny about suggesting Germany breeds better athletes but I can't put my finger on it.

Anyways, not the most entertaining game I've seen but I thought Canada played it pretty well. Didn't loose patience and got what they could on net. Germany's doing something right with it's hockey program.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Something sounds funny about suggesting Germany breeds better athletes but I can't put my finger on it.

Anyways, not the most entertaining game I've seen but I thought Canada played it pretty well. Didn't loose patience and got what they could on net. Germany's doing something right with it's hockey program.

How you read anything about "breeding better athletes" in that comment is beyond me. You people all turn into goofballs during these national tournaments.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
You are getting German domination in the game of hockey from one tournament and the fact they play a good team game in football?(they have'nt won that in awhile either)

Germany is one of extremely few nations who have won WC three times. They were in the finals 2002, and the semifinals this summer 2006(you only play it once every fourth year). Football is incredibly competetive, and is the biggest sport in the world, and thus WC is the toughest tournament to win. Germany has always be known for their teamplay and their psyche, and in a teamgame like hockey, where mistakes should be eliminated at any costs... i think Germany would be really great. They also have 80 million people... while Russia might have that too, they don´t have the same psyche and teamplay.

I read in a previous thread that ppl thought England could be great in icehockey. I don´t. Biggest chockers of all time.. just look at football once again.. they SUCK.. although they have one of the best leagues in the world.

I know i know.. im just speculating... but I honestly think the germans could have been a great one.

rival

Feb 15, 2004
Victoria
Anyone know why Stefaniszin didn't play for the Germans? I really wanted to see him play again, after that incredible game vs the Americans.

Pierre and Gord seemed to think it was a matter of having him rested for tomorrow's game against the Swedes.

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
Germany is one of extremely few nations who have won WC three times. They were in the finals 2002, and the semifinals this summer 2006(you only play it once every fourth year). Football is incredibly competetive, and is the biggest sport in the world, and thus WC is the toughest tournament to win. Germany has always be known for their teamplay and their psyche, and in a teamgame like hockey, where mistakes should be eliminated at any costs... i think Germany would be really great. They also have 80 million people... while Russia might have that too, they don´t have the same psyche and teamplay.

I read in a previous thread that ppl thought England could be great in icehockey. I don´t. Biggest chockers of all time.. just look at football once again.. they SUCK.. although they have one of the best leagues in the world.

I know i know.. im just speculating... but I honestly think the germans could have been a great one.

Good points.

German and swedes are best athletes. They don't fear losing. They rarely make mistakes, when it matters most.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
Despite the loss, which was to be expected, I'm very happy with the German team so far. And I'm sure they learned a lot playing a team as skilled and talented as the Canadians.

I agree, plus everyone thought this would be easy for Canada, but they thought wrong.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I agree, plus everyone thought this would be easy for Canada, but they thought wrong.

Not everyone thought that. The 3-1 score doesn't surprise me one bit. Germany's hard trapping game forces opponents to play an equally structured and team-oriented counterattack.

However, like I said in an earlier post, the German system is best described as what I lovingly call "piss-you-off hockey", meaning that their setup breeds anger and frustration. If there's one thing you can see across all sports, it's that young players usually haven't learned to play with their heads instead of their instincts.

You can drill instructions and systems into them, but until something clicks in their brains that makes them realize they're being played by the opposition, the usual youth reaction will be that when the initial structure is failing, it's time to fall back on individual skill. That's precisely why the US lost its initial game vs Germany. So many USA players were trying to do it on their own and that doesn't work against what Germany throws at you.

wildone26*

Whew! we broke them but it sure was'nt easy.Cogliano finnally asserted himself and that's good news.

Good game by the german team,they skated well all 3 periods and played one of the best games i've ever seen them play at this thing.

Canada is going to have a rough road to Gold.They can do it but this team is far below many teams we've sent to this thing on offensive ability.They are good enough to get the job done but from here on in it's all tough sledding.

Toews again very good,Price solid,...the usual suspects plus Russell on D.
The semi-final will be hairy.

The semifinal will not be vs the winner of the other group though, and only the winner of the other group will have the potential to beat Canada. I am not worried about the semi, the final is the only possable problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad