WJC Bronze Medal Game: Jan 5 GDT - Sweden vs. USA

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Do not get confused there. Those were good calls. The call tat was made when USA scored was crap and if you say it was not you are full of it.

By the way, the Ref didn't call the roughing on Backstrom letting the roughing on Mueller go, he didn't call any roughing penalty. He called a holding on Backstrom just prior to this "altercation".

A roughing call on Backstrom would've been major crap since Mueller did the exact same thing. But there was a holding prior....

MadDagoBU

Mar 7, 2006
great job by the US team to come together and play a great couple of games at the end. There's no shame in a shootout loss to Canada and a bronze medal won against Sweden. There's a lot to be proud of.

I'm damn proud of this team.

SChan*

I told everyone that our coach was crap before the tournament, and I got flamed for it. Bendelin didn't use Backstrom any more than anyone else.

emb24*

can someone explain to me the disconnect between sweden's relatively mediocre junior coaching and team play and the fact you guys are FAR better in the olympics and WC?

is it the maturity factor? the familiarity factor - where because it's a small country players know each other and fit well into a team system quickly in elimination tourneys?

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
I have no problem with the penalty, but odds are that it wouldn´t have been a penalty if an american had done the same thing on a Swedish player.

C'mon. Ge dig. Of course it would have been. At any rate, it doesn't matter. They got this one right and they could potentially gotten a call that has never existed wrong. What's the argument?

The Swedes needed to get their skates going and put some pressure on the net, none of which is happening.

SChan*

can someone explain to me the disconnect between sweden's relatively mediocre junior coaching and team play and the fact you guys are FAR better in the olympics and WC?

is it the maturity factor? the familiarity factor - where because it's a small country players know each other and fit well into a team system quickly in elimination tourneys?

it's simple. Our system for decades has been that never let juniors develop in SEL unless they're really good. A system that I hate. In Sweden you have to be so mature in order to play.

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
By the way, the Ref didn't call the roughing on Backstrom letting the roughing on Mueller go, he didn't call any roughing penalty. He called a holding on Backstrom just prior to this "altercation".

A roughing call on Backstrom would've been major crap since Mueller did the exact same thing. But there was a holding prior....

Yeah, but that was like a year ago (literally, previous game :D )

emb24*

C'mon. Ge dig. Of course it would have been. At any rate, it doesn't matter. They got this one right and they could potentially gotten a call that has never existed wrong. What's the argument?

The Swedes needed to get their skates going and put some pressure on the net, none of which is happening.

don't concern yourself with 'kaktus' he seems to have an identity crisis. he posts from philadelphia but seems to have an allergy for all things US/Canada.
his credibility is zero and his arguments fallacious. Sweden didn't lose because of that penalty. they lost because they were out-coached, lacked Offensive flair and their special teams sucked. they had a 5 on 3 in the third for close to 2 mins and did ZIP. there was your 'penalty' equalizer right there 'kaktus'.

BUT an entire game is not played in 2 mins, surely you would know that?

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
Totally agree with previous poster, even though it sure feels bad that US had to score on that particular PP...

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
11 straight years without a medal for Sweden. Seems like an awful lot of years to be blaming the refs

:help:

Indeed! Congrats USA. I'll pin my hopes on next year's tournament. We have a bunch of kiddo's following this generation who are looking quite promising.

Heja Sverige, och grattis till en inte sa tokig fjarde plats trots allt.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

For three years from 1970-73 four amazing hockey players were born in sweden -- Sundin, Lidstrom, Forsberg and Naslund. They produced a ´golden generation´for their country. Their are probably a handful of other good players from that era as well. Those guys are all at the tail end of their prime right now and things don´t look so hot for the next 10 years.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
Gratz to the USA, well deserved win.

Okay tournament by Sweden, but to many players underachieved, Bergfors, Berglund, etc. I will not include Bäckström here, even though he didn't shoot the puck enough, and didn't skate enough. He made his points even though none of his linemates could score.
Berglund will be the leader next year, i hope he is better then.

Bad coaching by Bendelin in some moments, particular the powerplay. You ALLWAYS start with a player like Bäckström in powerplay. He needs as much time as possible, this time was not given to him.

But Bergfors... seriously, i haven't seen him play much before, but what i saw... im am not impressed. He will need to work hard in order to make it to the NHL.

Berglund, he was very praised before the tournament, some "experts" said that he was better then Bäckström. Plain ridiculous...
Bäckström allways brings something to the table, everynight, Berglund can dominate one game, and be invisible the next four... He need to be more consistant.

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
don't concern yourself with 'kaktus' he seems to have an identity crisis. he posts from philadelphia but seems to have an allergy for all things US/Canada.
his credibility is zero and his arguments fallacious. Sweden didn't lose because of that penalty. they lost because they were out-coached, lacked Offensive flair and their special teams sucked. they had a 5 on 3 in the third for close to 2 mins and did ZIP. there was your 'penalty' equalizer right there 'kaktus'.

BUT an entire game is not played in 2 mins, surely you would know that?

Amen. :clap:

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
For three years from 1970-73 four amazing hockey players were born in sweden -- Sundin, Lidstrom, Forsberg and Naslund. They produced a ´golden generation´for their country. Their are probably a handful of other good players from that era as well. Those guys are all at the tail end of their prime right now and things don´t look so hot for the next 10 years.

None of these players took part in the RigaWHC. We have showed that we have some potential for the future.

emb24*

i seriously think if the coach had let the swedish D play a more offensive game and allow them to pinch - the result tonight and in the russia game may have been different.

SChan*

Bergfors is my bust of the tournament, but he swedish media hasn't even written about him. It will be all about backstrom.

emb24*

None of these players took part in the RigaWHC. We have showed that we have some potential for the future.

but there is an answer even to that. and that is team play, which sweden is known for. they lacked the team play to make up for any lack of offensive talent. that was the equalizer. the swedish coached seemed to be coaching not to lose...lots of trapping and tentative play by the D in the Offensive zone

SChan*

but there is an answer even to that. and that is team play, which sweden is known for. they lacked the team play to make up for any lack of offensive talent. that was the equalizer. the swedish coached seemed to be coaching not to lose...lots of trapping and tentative play by the D in the Offensive zone

I very much agreed with you that our coach was out-coached.

emb24*

I very much agreed with you that our coach was out-coached.

alright my swedish friends. time for canada to try and whup the vodka-soaked circus bear
:)

nice to discuss hockey with you. sweden has some of the most knowledgeable and classy hockey fans in the world. good luck in WC for a repeat in April.

talk 2 u guys after the gold medal game.

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA

1. The hockey population in Sweden is shrinking. There aren't that many Jrs to pick from, so you can get 3-4 sharp kids out of each generation, but when they get to play Sr. hockey, they get to lump together those 3-4 kids from each age group into one team, so the population factor decreases quite a bit.

2. Not enough money is spent on Jr programs in Sweden. The elite clubs rather spend fortunes (considering their resources) on mediocre, or have-been, players to win or avoid relegation in the two top divisions (Allsvenskan and the SEL) as opposed to grow the talent and give the youngsters the best possible competition they can.

3. Arrogance. For years the Swedes were convinced that the "Golden Generation" was the ticket to national and international hockey success. Well, despite winning the OG gold in '06, the GG was a bust, and Swedish hockey took a bad blow and lost kids to other sports such as soccer, golf, basketball, you name it, as the hockey stars were labeled as primadonnas making excuses.

4. Lifestyle. It really is getting harder and harder to play hockey in Sweden. 20 years ago, kids grabbed their skates, helmets and sticks and went out to the local park or pond and PLAYED hockey, which kept the momentum and the enthusiasm for the sport alive. These days, they are sitting in front of their X-boxes, and eventually depending on the parnets income and availability, they go to hockey PRACTICE... let's face it video games are a lot easier and convenient for a parent to nurture and karate a lot less expensive (many nations battle this problem, of course, but the smaller nations get hit a little harder as the crop of players were fairly small to begin with).

I could probably list another 4-5 reasons, but this is way longer than anyone care to read as it is.

Last edited:

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Congrats to the US team. They deserved this bronze medal, clearly the better team in both games against Sweden.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
1. Population of Sweden. There aren't that many Jrs to pick from, so you can get 3-4 sharp kids out of each generation, but when they get to play Sr. hockey, they get to lump together those 3-4 kids from each age group into one team, so the population factor decreases quite a bit.

2. Not enough money is spent on Jr programs in Sweden. The elite clubs rather spend fortunes (considering their resources) on mediocre, or have-been, players to win or avoid relegation in the two top divisions (Allsvenskan and the SEL) as opposed to grow the talent and give the youngsters the best possible competition they can.

3. Arrogance. For years the Swedes were convinced that the "Golden Generation" was the ticket to national and international hockey success. Well, despite winning the OG gold in '06, the GG was a bust, and Swedish hockey took a bad blow and lost kids to other sports such as soccer, golf, basketball, you name it, as the hockey stars were labeled as primadonnas making excuses.

4. Lifestyle. It really is getting harder and harder to play hockey in Sweden. 20 years ago, kids grabbed their skates, helmets and sticks and went out to the local park or pond and PLAYED hockey, which kept the momentum and the enthusiasm for the sport alive. These days, they are sitting in front of their X-boxes, and eventually depending on the parnets income and availability, they go to hockey PRACTICE... let's face it video games are a lot easier and convenient for a parent to nurture and karate a lot less expensive (many nations battle this problem, of course, but the smaller nations get hit a little harder as the crop of players were fairly small to begin with).

I could probably list another 4-5 reasons, but this is way longer than anyone cares to read as it is.

I agree with everything. You mentioned it all, more or less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad