GDT: WJC: Austria Vs Canada | Decemember 28th @ 5pm MT

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Who cares, winning this tournament now means little. It’s lost all its merit with the states having to forfeit a game.
The States have a pretty bad team by their standards this year. After squeaking by the Slovaks and losing to the Finns I’d say they were the fourth most competitive team at best. They also aren’t out of this tournament by any means, but if that’s the end result, any team that gets through Canada, Russia, Sweden, and Finland deserves it.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
The States have a pretty bad team by their standards this year. After squeaking by the Slovaks and losing to the Finns I’d say they were the fourth most competitive team at best. They also aren’t out of this tournament by any means, but if that’s the end result, any team that gets through Canada, Russia, Sweden, and Finland deserves it.
I disagree, they are the top team in that division imo. The Slovaks are legit, that was a hard fought game. Sweden and Russia don’t impress me as much as the states do.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Tournament is about to end, even if it doesn't it's lost all legitimacy. I'll watch this game knowing it will likely be the last one. The IIHF deserves this, and should've had the foresight to realize playing in Canada was a mistake. Every tournament should be played in Texas or Florida from now on.

You think the IIHF protocols would be different in Florida or Texas?

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
What channels is the game on??

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Anyone know what channel this game is on ?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'll continue to watch since the NHL is barely back yet and my favorite team doesn't play again until January 2nd.

But I agree with the people saying this tournament just lost a lot of legitimacy and spark for me. Having one of the best teams and defending champs potentially out of the tournament to Covid just completely sucks the life out of it.

Should have just made the decision to bubble up again when cases started rising rapidly in mid December, especially if they were going to continue with such tight restrictions as they are.

Either that, or move the tournament to Texas.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
This game is going to have a different feel to it for me because it feels like this tournament is now on a death bed watch.

It will continue somehow, they will not interrupt it now. But if the US team is forced to forfeit it would be a terrible pity and the tournament would lose a lot of its appeal.

Btw, two Austrian players were tested positive (Peeters and Wallner), now they are back in the line-up. False positives?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It will continue somehow, they will not interrupt it now. But if the US team is forced to forfeit it would be a terrible pity and the tournament would lose a lot of its appeal.

Btw, two Austrian players were tested positive (Peeters and Wallner), now they are back in the line-up. False positives?
Well, any of the top 6-8 teams going out and the tournament takes a dive and any top 5 team it goes right into the toilet. You will see the lack of enthusiasm on the "gold medal" winning team too, and us fans.

Hopefully that doesn't happen but you can just about see the writing on the wall now that this tournament is going to be marred if not outright ruined.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Well, any of the top 6-8 teams going out and the tournament takes a dive and any top 5 team it goes right into the toilet. You will see the lack of enthusiasm on the "gold medal" winning team too, and us fans.

Hopefully that doesn't happen but you can just about see the writing on the wall now that this tournament is going to be marred if not outright ruined.

That's what I saying. The tournament would become much less appealling and basically ruined. But it will be finished somehow, they are not going to cancel it now and send all teams home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad