GDT: WJC: Austria Vs Canada | Decemember 28th @ 5pm MT

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yeah that 2004 team was loaded up front compared to this year's team.
Yep, that's the big difference. Crosby was just not going to get the minutes and role on that team that Bedard has been carving out here, there was just way more talent on that 04 team.

Bedard is in just a lot better situation to shine here, to his credit though, his play has forced Camerons hand. But if Bedard had been playng on that 04 team he would have been a very limited minutes guy like Crosby.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Yep, that's the big difference. Crosby was just not going to get the minutes and role on that team that Bedard has been carving out here, there was just way more talent on that 04 team.

Bedard is in just a lot better situation to shine here, to his credit though, his play has forced Camerons hand. But if Bedard had been playng on that 04 team he would have been a very limited minutes guy like Crosby.

Or Bedard would have forced mins. Bedard was barely getting any ice time in the pre tournament game (still scored and created chances).

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Or Bedard would have forced mins. Bedard was barely getting any ice time in the pre tournament game (still scored and created chances).
I don't think so, Crosby played well with his limited minutes and that didn't force the coaches hand in 04 and it was never going to.......the older stars were going to get the lions share of ice time that year, 16 year old Crosby would be getting major minutes on this years team, this team doesn't even compare to that 04 team.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
At the 2004 WJC Canada leaned heavily on its top two lines, each of which was dominant.

Getzlaf Carter Burns
Dawes Richards Stewart

There was a checking line that I think was Paille, Brent, and Dixon. Then there was a depth line with Crosby, Jeff Tambellini, and I believe it was Colliton. Crosby did get some power play time. Crosby was a better player at 16 than Bedard is so I highly doubt that Bedard would have made the 2004 team. They're in different situations playing with tiny samples. Still impressive that Bedard has managed to take advantage of what chances he gets. I hope he can keep it up.

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
I don't think so, Crosby played well with his limited minutes and that didn't force the coaches hand in 04 and it was never going to.......the older stars were going to get the lions share of ice time that year, 16 year old Crosby would be getting major minutes on this years team, this team doesn't even compare to that 04 team.
What are you basing your claim that this team doesnt even compare to the 04 team lol? The 04 team didnt even win gold lol

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
What are you basing your claim that this team doesnt even compare to the 04 team lol? The 04 team didnt even win gold lol
What am am I basing it on? the players involved and my eyes. It was a better team by far, that is what i am basing it on., gold or not. I watched both teams..........not close.

Were you around watching at that time or just looking at a medal result and making a decision on both teams?

That 04 team would walk through this tournament, they would put this version of TC through a meat grinder.

Last edited:

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
What am am I basing it on? the players involved and my eyes. It was a better team by far, that is what i am basing it on., gold or not. I watched both teams..........not close.

Were you around watching at that time or just looking at a medal result and making a decision on both teams?

That 04 team would walk through this tournament, they would put this version of TC through a meat grinder.
Exactly based off nothing lol. Your favourite Nova Scotian boy was on your little 04 team so of course they were a super team lmao.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Exactly based off nothing lol. Your favourite Nova Scotian boy was on your little 04 team so of course they were a super team lmao.
oh, so I get it now, you just don't have a clue.

I pretty much knew that already from your first post but this post confirmed it and as an added bonus I now know you've got some personality problems added on to that.

I don't have much time for children, especially ones that don't know what they are talking about.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

a lot of those players on the '04 team went on to be the most dominant Team Canada the following year in '05. and then when those same juniors became pros a few years later they added 2 Olympic Gold medals to their trophy cases. So, yeah, based on something a little more than nothing. The 'o4 team was significantly better than this year's version. And I doubt this year's Team Canada would be able to keep up with the '05 team.

Reactions: jj cale

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Ah, the 04 team with Nigel Dawes and Anthony Stewart as team Canada's leading scorers and didn't even win the gold? I think Bedard does fine on that team.

Reactions: J bo Jeans

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
a lot of those players on the '04 team went on to be the most dominant Team Canada the following year in '05. and then when those same juniors became pros a few years later they added 2 Olympic Gold medals to their trophy cases. So, yeah, based on something a little more than nothing. The 'o4 team was significantly better than this year's version. And I doubt this year's Team Canada would be able to keep up with the '05 team.

Of course they went on to be dominant the next year, they were an entire year older. There were also a bunch of NHL busts on that team like Dawes and Stewart.

We're not talking about the 05 team here with a 17 year old Crosby and 19 year olds from the 03 draft. We're talking about the 04 team that couldn't win gold against the great Al Montoya.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The 04 team beat Swiss and Ukraine by a combine score or 17-2. The Swiss beat Ukraine 11-0
That's often the problem with the bottom feeder teams, it's possible Ukraine had a strong group of 19 year olds the prior year to get then promoted, but then those guys age out and the next group may stink, hence the slaughters at the top division. That Ukraine teams had a 1-43 goal differential in the preliminary round 04 :laugh:. Canada (10-0) was their 2nd "closest" game.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Don't see much point in how well a particularly player "bum slays" lousy competition across sample sizes of like 1 or 2. A guy like Gabriel Bourque who was only a 5th round pick and went on to be a career 4th liner for a 413 game NHL career once had 7 points which was (maybe is) a Canadian record against some crap team like Norway. Against these lousy teams, it's often just a matter of who wakes up feeling good and ready to dominate the vastly inferior competition, and those kids on the other team will give up quickly because they know they are overmatched. You can look at the consistency at what they do in an entire season of Juniors or if you really believe in "BIG GAME CLUTCH PLAYER" hype, what they do in Gold Medal games or against the better teams to get a better feel for where players are at a given age.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Ah, the 04 team with Nigel Dawes and Anthony Stewart as team Canada's leading scorers and didn't even win the gold? I think Bedard does fine on that team.
Never said he wouldn't do fine and neither is anyone else, what is being said is that he would have never been put in a major role on that team. Sidney Crosby wasn't and sure as hell Connor Bedard would not have. It does not matter whether that team won gold or not.

That's the point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad