AUS.jpg

full

Canada
Confirmed Tournament Roster

CAN.jpg

Reactions: ThatAvsGamer

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Hopefully it won't be a poopshow. would love a close, competitive game, but Canada for the W by 6 goals.

Mainiac

May 15, 2021
I'd much prefer CAN be in the "tough group". Last year they looked great until the big game and then, well...

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
I'm trying to jinx and say that Canada wins 20-0. That said, i hope that Austria would somehow pull an upset but chances are zero to none after seeing their game yesterday.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Well, all joking aside, at most Austria is maybe a slight favourite: Canadians are tough and hard working and could easily surprise. My prediction: 2-2 at the end of the regulation and Canada will win on penalties.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Will they go with Sommer in goal? I just don't know if you can go back to back with Wraneschitz after yesterdays onslaught.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
I'll make a bold statement and say Canada wins this.

I do look forward to the 'goal differential matters' crowd coming in. It doesn't in this case. Not once in my life of watching this tourney has beating the shit out of the 5th nation in a pool of 5 had an impact on rankings. There are several tiebreakers before that (head to head being the first one, the second one being goal differential between the teams that are tied and not the team with 0 points). Having said that... kick the hell out of them and run the score. No rule against it. But don't pretend that winning 5-0 or 15-0 is for advancement. Here are the 5 tiebreakers and not one of them is overall GF and GA from the 4 games overall: First tiebreaker for 2 teams is tied is head to head because there are no ties in this tournament (eg. if Czechs and Germans end up tied, Germany gets the higher seed because they beat us - we could beat Austria 35 to 0 and it won't matter).

If three teams end up tied (I'm not sure who the third team is that could end up somehow tied with Canada and Finland?). However, let's assume Germany, Finland and Canada end up in a 3 way tie:

upload_2021-12-28_13-2-3.png

upload_2021-12-28_13-2-29.png

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'll make a bold statement and say Canada wins this.

I do look forward to the 'goal differential matters' crowd coming in. It doesn't in this case. Not once in my life of watching this tourney has beating the shit out of the 5th nation in a pool of 5 had an impact on rankings. There are several tiebreakers before that (head to head being the first one, the second one being goal differential between the teams that are tied and not the team with 0 points). Having said that... kick the hell out of them and run the score. No rule against it. But don't pretend that winning 5-0 or 15-0 is for advancement. Here are the 5 tiebreakers and not one of them is overall GF and GA from the 4 games overall: First tiebreaker for 2 teams is tied is head to head because there are no ties in this tournament (eg. if Czechs and Germans end up tied, Germany gets the higher seed because they beat us - we could beat Austria 35 to 0 and it won't matter).

If three teams end up tied (I'm not sure who the third team is that could end up somehow tied with Canada and Finland?). However, let's assume Germany, Finland and Canada end up in a 3 way tie:

View attachment 493870
View attachment 493871

Tie breaker or not you have to play the game, can't just sit in your end and hold onto the puck because you don't want to score anymore, that would be a worse embarrassment.

There is only one way to end beat downs in international hockey and we all know what it is, get better. Either that or reduce the amount of teams playing and then we would have the very vocal crowd saying..." how can these teams be expected to get better if they don't play and test themselves against the powerhouses or experience playing in these tournaments?"

The lopsided scores in this tournament should never be an issue with fans here knowing the reality. What does a team get by totally laying off and clearly dogging it anyway? a HF fans nice guys team award?

I always find it odd when fans moan about the beat downs and want teams to "lie down".

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Tie breaker or not you have to play the game, can't just sit in your end and hold onto the puck because you don't want to score anymore, that would be a worse embarrassment.

There is only one way to end beat downs in international hockey and we all know what it is, get better. Either that or reduce the amount of teams playing and then we would have the very vocal crowd saying..." how can these teams be expected to get better if they don't play and test themselves against the powerhouses or experience playing in these tournaments?"

The lopsided scores in this tournament should never be an issue with fans here knowing the reality. What does a team get by totally laying off and clearly dogging it anyway? a HF fans nice guys team award?

I always find it odd when fans moan about the beat downs and want teams to "lie down".
I totally agree... I hope Czechs put 10 up on them too. 2 teams scored touchdowns on us last year and I didn't complain once (well, I complained about us sucking but not the other team being good). But it won't be to help us advance.

That's all.. just countering the inevitable posters that will come on tonight and say it is necessary and could make a difference down the road after the last round robin game. Overall GF and GA is not a tiebreaker in this tournament.

Also, there are 5 tiebreakers that I listed .. I think the rules were purposely made so that destroying that weak nation from Division B will not benefit a team.

Reactions: jj cale

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
Tournament is about to end, even if it doesn't it's lost all legitimacy. I'll watch this game knowing it will likely be the last one. The IIHF deserves this, and should've had the foresight to realize playing in Canada was a mistake. Every tournament should be played in Texas or Florida from now on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad