GDT: WJC 2023

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Ufko had the primary assist on Team USA's 1-0 goal in the Semi-Final against Canada. Canada ended up winning 6-2, so Ufko will go face Team Sweden in the Bronze Medal Game. Matier heads off to Gold Medal game against the Czechs.

Ufko now has 8 points in 6 games in the tournament.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Man that was a painful loss by the US against Canada. TWO US goals overturned on review, both pretty dang questionable calls. Ugh

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Man that was a painful loss by the US against Canada. TWO US goals overturned on review, both pretty dang questionable calls. Ugh
I would expect there are some heated threads about it elsewhere, but looking at those plays and reading the rules... I have to admit, it looks to me like the right calls were made. I'm not even sure how they could be deemed "questionable", aside from the fact that anybody will "question" in the heat of a game... but then the answer when watching the replays and reading the rules is pretty obviously "no goal". :dunno: 6-2 didn't really reflect how close the game was aside from that. Too bad Ufko doesn't get to play for gold, he seems to have had a surprisingly good showing.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I would expect there are some heated threads about it elsewhere, but looking at those plays and reading the rules... I have to admit, it looks to me like the right calls were made. I'm not even sure how they could be deemed "questionable", aside from the fact that anybody will "question" in the heat of a game... but then the answer when watching the replays and reading the rules is pretty obviously "no goal". :dunno: 6-2 didn't really reflect how close the game was aside from that. Too bad Ufko doesn't get to play for gold, he seems to have had a surprisingly good showing.

I thought the first one was probably correct but at the very least the 2nd one could have gone either way. The announcers both thought it should have been a goal.

I just thought both of them were close enough that you've seen similar plays go both ways in NHL games- just tough to go 0 for 2 on them

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
Not even gonna get into that USA vs CAN game from last night…

I just really hope USA has a big statement game against the Swedes.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I thought the first one was probably correct but at the very least the 2nd one could have gone either way. The announcers both thought it should have been a goal.

I just thought both of them were close enough that you've seen similar plays go both ways in NHL games- just tough to go 0 for 2 on them
I guess I would have flipped those... the first one, it's more just because of the way the IIHF rules are whereas it would have counted in the NHL. But the second one... it was under the pad, and nowhere in hockey can you just come in later after it's covered and ram the whole goalie's leg into the net and call it a goal.
:dunno:

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
Ufko with a PP goal 2-0 USA

Update: Ufko turns over the puck on a whiffed exit pass that leads to a goal, tied at 3-3 now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Holy crap this US/Sweden game is nuts
1672955380661.png

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Good lord, this can't possibly make it through 1 minute of OT can it???? Imagine if it goes to a shootout and they just score on every shot for like 20 rounds... :oops:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That's a helluva tourney for Ufko, though. Don't think anybody saw 1g,9a coming. :handclap:

Doubt he'll get a nod for the all-tournament team, though, they probably have to give some higher profile guys like Jiricek or somebody from Canada the spots. But still.

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
Too bad the gold game is during the preds game, well most of it at least.

Glad USA pulled it out. Ufko looks great offensively, but in his own zone he needs some maturation on decision making.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad