GDT: WJC 2023

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Svechkov would have been there if Russia was.

I’m somewhat disappointed that Olsson and Kulonummi don’t even seem to have been on the radar despite having some selling points. :dunno:

Reactions: Scoresberg

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Svechkov would have been there if Russia was.

I’m somewhat disappointed that Olsson and Kulonummi don’t even seem to have been on the radar despite having some selling points. :dunno:
Olsson’s a bit disappointing. Kulonummi isn’t a surprise. There was a lot of older defensemen and Finland usually wants go with older defensemen. He’ll be there next year.

Reactions: Myopinionsarewrong

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Watched the pre-tourney game between USA and Sweden last night. Here's my notes on Ufko:

- Had 2 assists in the game, now with 4 points in two games. 1st assist, intercepted a breakout pass in the offensive, passed it to the low-slot where USA scored a one-timer goal. 2nd assist, basic powerplay assist. I really hope he wins the 2nd PP job for team USA. He's earned it.

- He is small and not the fleetest of foot. On the defensive side, he needs to gain some foot speed and muscle.

- His positioning was second-to-none, both offensively and defensively.

- He doesn't wow you at any way, he's just a smart player. Knows his limitations with his size and speed but is effective in stick checking and intercepting plays before they even happen.

- Very comfortable even under pressure with the puck. Had some really nice breakout passes in the game. This is one area, I'm really trying to examine in his game.

- Excellent PP QB, not the hardest shot but gets it through the first body and to the net, which is the most important thing.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Watched the pre-tourney game between USA and Sweden last night. Here's my notes on Ufko:

- Had 2 assists in the game, now with 4 points in two games. 1st assist, intercepted a breakout pass in the offensive, passed it to the low-slot where USA scored a one-timer goal. 2nd assist, basic powerplay assist. I really hope he wins the 2nd PP job for team USA. He's earned it.

- He is small and not the fleetest of foot. On the defensive side, he needs to gain some foot speed and muscle.

- His positioning was second-to-none, both offensively and defensively.

- He doesn't wow you at any way, he's just a smart player. Knows his limitations with his size and speed but is effective in stick checking and intercepting plays before they even happen.

- Very comfortable even under pressure with the puck. Had some really nice breakout passes in the game. This is one area, I'm really trying to examine in his game.

- Excellent PP QB, not the hardest shot but gets it through the first body and to the net, which is the most important thing.
Except for that last point he sounds just like a young Ellis.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Does is speed and size force him into bad gap control?
It could for sure, but I didn't notice it last night.

I think he's smart enough to not overplay any rush and that he's able to read on the forwards' body position on what they're going to do with the puck - do they try to carry it into the zone, are they going to dump it in etc.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Kemell the 13th forward for Team Finland in pre-tourney game against Canada. Matier as the 7th D for Team Canada.

Last edited:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I thought Kemell was the 13th forward? Are they allowing more than 20 to skate in these pre tourney games?
Yes, in international games you can dress 21 guys for the game.

Also, I think Kemell was the 13th forward as he's proven himself already and they didn't want him to get hurt. IIRC, he had a minor injury a couple weeks back and it's possible they're just trying to shelter him in these pre-tourney games.

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Damn.. so I was wrong.

What a sad year for Kemell... his team in Finland sounds like crap and aren't using him properly, and now this...? If he had an out in his contract, would like to see them just bring him over to Milwaukee immediately. He is signed, but I would burn a year of that ELC just to get him into a better development situation. Although usually you can't un-loan a guy just for AHL purposes, alas. But hopefully next season at least.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad