Prospect Info: With the 28th Pick the Senators Select Shane Bowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
People keep complaining about losing Methot for this pick. It was the 2018 pick they wanted. Not this one

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
To be fair for every year you play in the CHL you get a year of university..

So the degree thing isnt that big of a factor

I thought it was ~5k towards tuition, so depending on what university you go to for Hockey the degree could be worth more than what the CHL chips in towards your schooling.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The rumour was this year's pick plus Chlapik, and they would draft Claesson. Or to pick, say, Borowieki, next year's first and White or Brown and something else.

In both cases, I would have drove Methot to the airport myself. I love Marc and we're going to miss him but Claesson + 1st + Chlapik was way too much to keep him

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
So, why not to take a chance for Senators and draft Klim Kostin. This racist "stay away" (we had bad experience with Yashin, oh my god, sob, sob) from Russians, Czechks and Slovaks, really bothers me. Kostin in my books top 3 talent in this draft. Top 10 in the league in 5 years. Kostin plays Don Cherry's style of the game. Skilled to the brims forward who loves to use his size and push people around. We need a super star winger and Kosin fills the bill. No, we draft another Lazar. Safe pick(fodder) for future trades. Get a player other people picked. So why we need scouts then? They stayed away also from one particular Slovenian by the name of Kopitar, and took Brian Lee instead. And Kostin is progressing nicely form his shoulder surgery. The philosophy of the first round selection, should be not to pick the future trading asset for someone else's pick in the future , but to pick on your own the best player available. Take risks, rip rewards. I was wring the same rant here, when we did not pick Kopitar.

Another Brian Lee in the system.

Murray said right after the pick, that Chabot needs to improve his "shooting the puck" skills

Brian Lee 6.3 good size, can not shoot the puck if his life depends on it. This pick like a d�j� vu to me.
Chabot does not need to have the same style of play with Brian Lee to share Brian Lee’s fate.

Another intriguing piece of information. That all 7 American born players, Senators drafted in first round, quit on this team, asked to be traded, or were traded away. Way to go to draft another American born player Murray in the first round. :)

You have a pretty terrible, yet consistent, shtick. You go on this exact rant after every player we choose in the 1st.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I thought it was ~5k towards tuition, so depending on what university you go to for Hockey the degree could be worth more than what the CHL chips in towards your schooling.

The deals are different depending on the player. There is a bare minimum that is always met, but for the most part the better/higher pick, the better education deal you get.

I had teammates and friends go 3rd and 7th overall, and some much later. The 16 year old high picks got much better education packages compared to the 6th rounders and walk-on's when they cracked the line-ups.

Like you said, they can, for the most part, play for whatever university they want to if they were able to play 4 years in the CHL. Their tuition tends to go further in the Maritimes, which is why UNB/Saint Mary's/StFX tend to have top teams year in year out.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The deals are different depending on the player. There is a bare minimum that is always met, but for the most part the better/higher pick, the better education deal you get.

I had teammates and friends go 3rd and 7th overall, and some much later. The 16 year old high picks got much better education packages compared to the 6th rounders and walk-on's when they cracked the line-ups.

Like you said, they can, for the most part, play for whatever university they want to if they were able to play 4 years in the CHL. Their tuition tends to go further in the Maritimes, which is why UNB/Saint Mary's/StFX tend to have top teams year in year out.

I remember working at UNB Fredericton many decades ago. Beautiful campus on a hill overlooking the river.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I wrote this in development thread but it probably should be here.

Anyone else pleasantly surprised with Bowers offensive puck skills and creativity at development camp? Hopefully he's more 2nd line centre than 3rd line centre ! !!!

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I'm setting the bar at being a point per game player next year at BU. That shouldn't be tough to achieve with Harper and Tkachuk on his wing.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm setting the bar at being a point per game player next year at BU. That shouldn't be tough to achieve with Harper and Tkachuk on his wing.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Last year these are the freshman who put up ppg:

Keller
Borgstrom (19 years old)
Fox
Smirinov (19 years old)
Fredric (played 30 games)

So 5 guys, 2 were not 18 year old freshman like Bowers. 3 offensive players, a pure offensive D, and Fredric.

Turris never even put up a ppg in his freshman season as an offensive guy chosen 3rd overall.

I'll be happy with (expecting) 15-20 points. Anything else is gravy.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
You're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Last year these are the freshman who put up ppg:

Keller
Borgstrom (19 years old)
Fox
Smirinov (19 years old)
Fredric (played 30 games)

So 5 guys, 2 were not 18 year old freshman like Bowers. 3 offensive players, a pure offensive D, and Fredric.

Turris never even put up a ppg in his freshman season as an offensive guy chosen 3rd overall.

I'll be happy with (expecting) 15-20 points. Anything else is gravy.
I'll be disappointed if our first round pick gets 20 points ugh. But floating around ppg/ getting 30+ points is the bar for me. Just is that general area.

Jost
Kunin
Thompson
Fredric
White
Boeser

All recent first rounders that got 30+ points and floated around ppg. I'll hope that Bowers can continue the trend and at least put up respectable numbers.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'll be disappointed if our first round pick gets 20 points ugh. But floating around ppg/ getting 30+ points is the bar for me. Just is that general area.

Kunin
Thompson
Fredric
White
Boeser

All recent first rounders that got 30+ points and floated around ppg. Bowers should be able to do that.

Bowers doesn't have the offensive ability of any of them (Frredric possibly), it really is unrealistic to set that standard, especially as a true freshman.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Jost
Kunin
Thompson
Fredric
White
Boeser

All recent first rounders that got 30+ points and floated around ppg. I'll hope that Bowers can continue the trend and at least put up respectable numbers.

lol bowers couldn't hit ppg in high school, you're going to be disappointed

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Although I would have liked Robertson or Kostin more, (Ottawa has a COD MW2 like approach to the draft, "No Russian", and I hate it)I like this pick.
I was skeptical at first but after watching Dev camp I like the selection. He has really nice speed and could replace Pageau/Smith in the future.
Although I question managements/ownerships decisions quite frequently, I trust our scouting staff.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Bad pick then. Also, he played in the ushl not high school.

Look at Toews .... not a point a game player... bad pick ? HF boppers would likely say yes

How 'bout Jack Roslovic, #25OA in 2015, same age as White, played with White on the USNTDP team, played 1 year NCAA scoring 10 goals and 26 points in 36 games; Won WJC gold last year, Played for the AHL Moose last year as a 19 y/o and had 48 pts in 65 games... bad pick?

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Look at Toews .... not a point a game player... bad pick ? HF boppers would likely say yes

How 'bout Jack Roslovic, #25OA in 2015, same age as White, played with White on the USNTDP team, played 1 year NCAA scoring 10 goals and 26 points in 36 games; Won WJC gold last year, Played for the AHL Moose last year as a 19 y/o and had 48 pts in 65 games... bad pick?

Wait, so you're telling me there's more to the game of hockey than production!?!?

And you're telling me that production isn't linear!?!?

WHAT IS GOING ON

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Although I would have liked Robertson or Kostin more, (Ottawa has a COD MW2 like approach to the draft, "No Russian", and I hate it)I like this pick.
I was skeptical at first but after watching Dev camp I like the selection. He has really nice speed and could replace Pageau/Smith in the future.
Although I question managements/ownerships decisions quite frequently, I trust our scouting staff.

Me too, after watching him at the development camp you can see he has all the tools, is smart with the puck & looks to make plays. He has decent size, very good skater, good vision & IQ & can be a good playmaker. He may not be elite at anything but he looks like he will be very good at everything. Top 9 for sure with top 6 potential, maybe even top line potential.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
It's not really what I would call analysis, but yeah you're right :laugh:

I'm really not trying to be a dick, I just don't get it.

I haven't said too much about Bowers because all I've really seen of him is dev camp where he looked like a solid hockey player. Not great at anything, but not bad at anything.

That's a pretty typical profile for someone coming out of the US system. Not to say the Americans are not skilled, but you get a lot of guys who are just solid hockey players. Of course, that doesn't limit them, look at Patty Kane and Oshie for example.

Colin White is another guy who doesn't really wow you in any area, but very solid hockey player top to bottom. Those guys build NHL rosters. And when you're picking in the bottom of round 1, it's a solid get.

I'm just not enitrely sure how you can go "not a ppg player, so obvioulsy not a good pick". Like come on, that's lazier than Pierre McGuire's "analysis".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad