Prospect Info: With the 28th Pick the Senators Select Shane Bowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Swinging for the fences usually leaves you with nothing to show for it. At least a kid who makes the NHL has some value.

If we're going to take a risk on a kid, I'd rather do it in the second round....or if we have multiple first round picks to play with.

The thing is that there was a higher ranked forward (13th) available named Tolvinen that could have been taken. Only time will tell (hindsight) what the best pick would have been.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
The thing is that there was a higher ranked forward (13th) available named Tolvinen that could have been taken. Only time will tell (hindsight) what the best pick would have been.

I have it on good authority Dorion couldn't pronounce Tolvinen so he drafted bowers.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Gotta disagree. There's just no point in trying to draft easily replaceable bottom six players. Why draft a guy whose clone is available in UFA for the same money? Just sign that other guy instead and swing for the fences on draft day.

Some other team is going to win the powerball while we're dropping quarters at the Crown and Anchor table.

The Colorado Avalanche are the most extreme example of why teams need guys who have a reasonable chance to pan out as good third liners in the NHL. You can't add an entire team of bottom 6 players in free agency.

You also have to overpay in salary/term. For example, if this team felt that Nick Paul was ready to be a 4C/fringe 3C when Brassard is out to start the year, we wouldn't have had to pay Thompson nearly 2M, we could have used Nick Paul who as an RFA player would have been much cheaper for the next few years. RFAs in bottom 6 roles is where teams can save a huge amount of money which can be used to retain (or in more desirable FA destination teams cases) attract higher end talent.

I also see the sentiment a lot that the Senators want to draft safe character guys with low ceilings every year, but this seems to be the farthest thing from the truth when you actually look at who we are drafting. We invested the 12th overall+a 3rd rounder in Logan Brown last year who is the definition of swinging for the fences, Chabot was a highly skilled riser, Gagne wasn't a safe pick. Even dating back a few years ago, Zibanejad wasn't a safe pick either, neither was Puempel, Cowen, or Karlsson. I'm not sure where this sentiment of the team only taking safe players comes from because if you look at the Senators modern draft history, there are a few Lazar/White types in the first two rounds, but there are just as many if not more high skilled or high risk picks.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Swinging for the fences usually leaves you with nothing to show for it. At least a kid who makes the NHL has some value.

If we're going to take a risk on a kid, I'd rather do it in the second round....or if we have multiple first round picks to play with.

If you look at the picks since Dorion was named an A-GM then GM, the team has made more skill and/or swing for the fences picks than he has made safe picks high in the draft.

Even dating back throughout the entire Bryan Murray regime, we've made a lot of skill or high boom/bust type picks. We passed on Couturier to take Zibanejad. We took Cowen in the top 10 as he fell due to injuries. We took a highly skilled riser in Erik Karlsson who was the size of a small Swedish child at the time. We traded up to take Matt Puempel who was though to be a risky but high upside goal scorer. More recently, we took Chabot a highly skilled riser and Gagne a boom/bust project both in the same draft, both relatively high. Last year we took Brown and Dahlen both very high with an added 3rd round pick invested in Brown.

I honestly don't get it. We're clearly taking more skilled and/or more boom/bust guys than we are taking safe Curtis Lazar clones, but the moment the team takes a safe guy people like to speak in absolutes and push the sentiment that we ALWAYS take safe players.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I wouldn't consider White safe. He had mono so his performance dipped during draft year I believe.

I agree to an extent, but I am more going off Dorion's evaluation of him and the general perception which at one point I believe may have been something like having a ceiling as a 2C, but having a skillset that if he failed to reach his ceiling he could be a good 3C in the NHL. (paraphrasing)

Although I agree the context of him falling and being hard to properly evaluate due to mono made him a riskier pick, those types of players seem to be the types of picks people here are rallying against.

But in general, yeah we've taken quite a few either highly skilled or boom/bust type picks in the 1st or high in the 2nd round. So I don't get why people try to portray things like we're taking Curtis Lazar every season.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
looks like Greenway is going back to BU for another year. He must be looking forward to playing with Bowers

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

From what I understand of the 2017 draft, there was no consensus after the first two kids. For all we know, Bowers could've been BPA on the Sens' list.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
What I don't understand is what's so safe about a prospect who has NHL safe size and grit when they don't have NHL skill.

Lazar types aren't a safe pick.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Dude white was safe. Which is cool. But don't say he wasn't safe.

He was safe as a player when healthy but whenever a guy misses a significant portion of his draft year for whatever reason it's a concern. He had a wrist injury, he also had mono. We knew he was a good player but these injuries played a part in where White was drafted.

Jarrod Maidens was a damn good prospect before the injuries hit him, a 1rst rounder, we took a chance on him in the 2nd round and he ended up never playing because of those injuries. Now, I get that concussions are a different thing, but whenever a player misses a big part of his draft year it's a concern because the biggest developmental curve (positive or negative) happens in the draft year. That's why we so often draft late risers like Zibanejad, Brown, Gagner and etc.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
From what I understand of the 2017 draft, there was no consensus after the first two kids. For all we know, Bowers could've been BPA on the Sens' list.

Yes Bowers could have been. But the consensus of the entities that rate the players viewed Tolvinen at a much higher rating.

It would be interesting to see statistics on rating the entities in their assessments of potential draft picks using results.

I like the description of Tolvinen as a shooter. we need more scorers.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Tolvanen has Hoffman/Tarasenko type release. If he work on his skating he has a great chance of becoming this drafts best goal scorer. I take that risk everytime at 28.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I didn't know the Sens were his team growing up...kinda cool.

He mentioned it in a video that was just posted on the Sens YouTube channel.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I didn't know the Sens were his team growing up...kinda cool.

He mentioned it in a video that was just posted on the Sens YouTube channel.
DDQst3WXUAEKD1L

His favourite player was Heatley also...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
After watching Bowers at the development camp, the guy he reminded me the most of was Colin White, who reminds me of Kyle Turris. We essentially have three centres who look & play a lot alike, whether that is a safe pick or a smart pick assuring they get an NHL player in the first round is subject for argument I guess. But it makes a lot more sense to draft a prospect who has NHL potential whether for your team or as a trade asset to acquire something down the road. Drafting a prospect who has & will hold his value as opposed to a prospect whose questionable makes much more sense to take the more valuable asset.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
After watching Bowers at the development camp, the guy he reminded me the most of was Colin White, who reminds me of Kyle Turris. We essentially have three centres who look & play a lot alike, whether that is a safe pick or a smart pick assuring they get an NHL player in the first round is subject for argument I guess. But it makes a lot more sense to draft a prospect who has NHL potential whether for your team or as a trade asset to acquire something down the road. Drafting a prospect who has & will hold his value as opposed to a prospect whose questionable makes much more sense to take the more valuable asset.

I think White is more of a pest than Turris and will play more physical as well. I think his style and upside is somewhere between Bergeron and Kesler. If he ever becomes as good as Kyle Turris we're laughing though. Same goes for Bowers. If we get two Turris level players out of these two picks then the Sens are sitting pretty.

I haven't seen Bowers play but if we get even a Pageau level player out of him that pick is a huge win. No, not THAT kind of huge Aragorn. :D

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Anyone watching the WJSS? Jesper Boqvist went 36 to NJD looks like a good one; He can fly, and has really good skill. I get the feeling something was up with our euro scouting this year. He'll pass Mcleod on their depth chart.... again some pretty decent depth in this draft , unlike what we were lead to believe.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

True, but if you agree with that as logic for taking Bowers then everything the Senators do would be the best that could be done.

Only time will tell, but many other ratings services felt Tolvinen was a higher ranked pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad