Prospect Info: With the 21st Overall Pick the Rangers Select Filip Chytil

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
I think it goes both ways:

The New York Rangers select Connor McDavid

*********! HOW COULD THEY PASS ON JACK EICHEL!?!?

The New York Rangers select Frank Ntilikina

LOVE THE PICK! IT'S WHO I WANTED ALL ALONG! He's 18, he's big. He's gonna be a great player for the Rangers

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He can skate, has a lot of confidence, and has some swagger. Interesting pick.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Something else I like about Chytil is that this kid is one of the youngest players in this draft. If he was born 12 days later, he'd be in the 2018 draft. Really young kid for this draft. A player like Nolan Patrick is 11.5 months older.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
So we went with two guys playing in men's leagues at a young age. I wonder if that was a theme and time-to-NHL was a consideration.

These picks remind me of the JT Miller pick in a weak 2011 draft. Team went for likelihood of NHLer over the highest upside.

Yeah I think so. Had a conversation with OLA about this and the CAP.

Makes a lot of sense for the Rangers.

5 years of cap cost control.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Something else I like about Chytil is that this kid is one of the youngest players in this draft. If he was born 12 days later, he'd be in the 2018 draft. Really young kid for this draft. A player like Nolan Patrick is 11.5 months older.

I know that matters to some (not only in the NHL but in every sport), but I don't really understand it. Whether a guy is 17, 18 or 19 doesn't matter to me. I want the best player available regardless of age.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
The combine had him at 6'3.5 191 lbs, he has NHL size already at 17. This seems like a safe pick but one we'll look back at as a solid pick. They needed to draft centers.

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
while the 7th ov pick maybe is a let down (but to be honest both Glass and Petterrson off the board), i think this is a very good pick at 21ov, he will be a good player, but i think this solidifies a rebuild both players will be key players but not great. Whats interesting is they took the Czech here but i would of took Necas over Andersson, or gamble on middelstadt or go defense at 7th.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I know that matters to some (not only in the NHL but in every sport), but I don't really understand it. Whether a guy is 17, 18 or 19 doesn't matter to me. I want the best player available regardless of age.

I think the idea is that, if he was born 12 days later, he'd be in the next draft and probably a top-10 pick, provided he continued along his current progress.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

A kid who is 17 who is nearly as good as a kid who is 19 could very well be the better player a year or three down the line. Teams aren't drafting for the quality of player they are getting today, because most of these kids won't be playing today. It's all about projected development.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

But these are kids. You get a kid like Glass who's not a draftable player 12 months ago. You get players who go from Round 1 to Round 4 or 5 in 12 months.

12 months matters a lot with development at this age.

You just don't know. I agree that you gotta take players you think will be quality players, but you also should account for some players developing a lot in certain periods of time, and others not doing so.

What if Chytil was 12 days younger and had an incredible season next season? This is a player who could theoretically go top 10 in 2018, if that was to happen. Would it then not matter? Sure, its hypothetical, I just think its at least something to consider.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

You're not drafting on how good a guy is now (unless we're talking generational guys), you're drafting on how good they'll be in a few years. If two guys are basically equal but one is a year younger you go with the younger guy, as he has more room for development. The draft is all about projection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad