With Boudreau fired by Minnesota... The quartet of coaches

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am hoping Cooper quits this summer and moves over.

I have a real hard time believing he is going to do that to the best man in his wedding.

But maybe that is why we have rumors of Yzerman wanting to retain Blashill in an organizational role.

Again, I sort of expect Lane Lambert, though Gallant not signing on elsewhere makes him the other option.

I am curious how these staffs fill out anyway if we do make a coaching change this off-season. I would be surprised to see Cooper in Detroit at this point though. I am curious what Tampa does at the deadline, they need a little more grit, but they might finally break through this year making the point moot. They really are a lot like the mid 90s Wings in my and a lot of other peoples opinions, I absolutely see that parallel.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So you want to hire a coach who has underachieved with a loaded team to come to the Red Wings? No thanks.

He wants to hire a coach that has a proven rapport with our GM and coaches the style of hockey that fits the long-term vision of the franchise.

Tampa is an excellent team top to bottom, including their execution, and a surprise first round bump doesn't change that.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Gallant seems like a good coach but ive always liked Boudreau, Boubreau is who I would try to get
I'd be OK with either. Boudreau is great offensively but not so much defensively. At least we won't be seeing a defensive forward on each line with BB.

I'll be happy as long as Bylsma is gone. The PP is just horrible, a random fan could do better coaching.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
I'll take Gallant or Laviolete. f*** the other 2. Always Hated Boudreau. And now have a new found hatred for Babs.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
I mean we could always Blash an assistant again if we hire any of these guys. And Get rid of Byslma

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
He wants to hire a coach that has a proven rapport with our GM and coaches the style of hockey that fits the long-term vision of the franchise.

Tampa is an excellent team top to bottom, including their execution, and a surprise first round bump doesn't change that.

Again, do you want to win the cup or be the San Jose Sharks for the last 10 years? Because Cooper is a bum.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If Yzerman is planning on hiring one of these guys, whats the point in waiting till the offseason risking they get hired by another team? Why not lock them up now?
My goal has been to hire Gallant as a consultant. Sure it would confirm the writing on the wall with Blashill but at this point does it really matter?

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
This should probably be it for Blash. The effort just doesn’t exist.
Yzerman really dropped the ball on this. Blashill should have been gone before Christmas. Yeah, the team lacks talent, but early 80's Dead Wings bad? Bernier is the only guy on this team who has put forth consistent effort and looks like he gives a shit. Blashill has been horrible with developing talent and motivating the team. I don't get the undying devotion to him, like he's some kind of icon. It's a Holland-esque type move to keep him here.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yzerman really dropped the ball on this. Blashill should have been gone before Christmas. Yeah, the team lacks talent, but early 80's Dead Wings bad? Bernier is the only guy on this team who has put forth consistent effort and looks like he gives a ****. Blashill has been horrible with developing talent and motivating the team. I don't get the undying devotion to him, like he's some kind of icon. It's a Holland-esque type move to keep him here.
I do believe this first year is an evaluation year for Yzerman. He's probably paying close attention to see how young guys like Larkin, Bertuzzi, Mantha, Cholowski and Hronek develop. You can't really judge Blashill by the play of Howard, Ericsson, Daley, Abdelkader, Neilsen, etc.

It's tough to see much improvement from anyone. My guess is Yzerman is going to hold off on making significant changes until the TDL and then the end of the season. Hopefully we get the top pick and at that point the rebuild can really begin. We're still in teardown mode and my hope is we will be as active as possible at the trade deadline. This is quite different from how Ken Holland ran the franchise when he reduced it to the shambles it's been for the past couple seasons.

Reactions: 14ari13

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I wouldn't touch Boudreau or Babcock with a 10 foot pole.

I really like Babs. He shouldn't be anywhere near a developing team. His style of coaching is for established veterans, not developing rookies.

Reactions: odin1981

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Again, do you want to win the cup or be the San Jose Sharks for the last 10 years? Because Cooper is a bum.

I'll take being the Sharks the next decade. Hell yes.

The Blues were the Sharks until they weren't. So was Washington. That's how these things work.

You make a great team and go for it every playoffs. Eventually you hope it pays off. Unless you're icing generational top players at multiple positions, you're lucky to win one time.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I wouldn't touch Boudreau or Babcock with a 10 foot pole.

I really like Babs. He shouldn't be anywhere near a developing team. His style of coaching is for established veterans, not developing rookies.
He destroyed Tatar and Nyquist and it's hard to call those 2 NHL players. About Franzen , we all remember how consistent he was. He was also bad to Getzlav and Perry

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
He destroyed Tatar and Nyquist and it's hard to call those 2 NHL players. About Franzen , we all remember how consistent he was. He was also bad to Getzlav and Perry

Tatar, Nyquist, and Franzen were nearing their mid 20s by the time they were under Babcock...

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I wouldn't mind a fresher coach, these guys that have been around forever are available every season and none of them set themselves apart from one another. Its not like Bowman pretty much the greatest of all time is available.

Would like to see a fresher guy like Gallant. I also don't think cooper is as much of a long shot as people think. If a newer guy doesn't work out any given season some veteran coach is going to be on the market.

Let's not get Boudreau, let's get "the next" Boudreau if you get my meaning.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Yzerman has never struck me as a guy who would dump someone midseason. I wouldn't be surprised if he already has a verbal agreement with a coach and is just going to ride out the season.

There is no real reason to expose a coach to this dumpster fire season. Let Blashill roll as the tank commander, hire a coach after the season, bring up some of the better kids, dump some dead weight, and try to sign some decent UFAs to fill the roster for next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad