With Boudreau fired by Minnesota... The quartet of coaches

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
If Yzerman is planning on hiring one of these guys, whats the point in waiting till the offseason risking they get hired by another team? Why not lock them up now?

We do not live in a country that has legalized slavery or intendured survitude. We can't force a coach to sign with us right this second. It is very sad that people can't seem to grasp this very basic concept.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
We do not live in a country that has legalized slavery or intendured survitude. We can't force a coach to sign with us right this second. It is very sad that people can't seem to grasp this very basic concept.
First of all you have no clue if Yzerman approached any of these coaches. Second of all, I'm simply saying that IF any of these coaches were interested, wouldn't it be better to bring them on board now? Its quite obvious that peoples decisions can't be forced.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
If Yzerman is planning on hiring one of these guys, whats the point in waiting till the offseason risking they get hired by another team? Why not lock them up now?

If I recall correctly, these fired coaches are still being paid for this season regardless. There's not much incentive for a coach to sign on with another team right now.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
If I recall correctly, these fired coaches are still being paid for this season regardless. There's not much incentive for a coach to sign on with another team right now.
One incentive I could see is actually having another head coaching job. Although I can see most of these guys getting another job quite easily.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Not sure why any team would hire Babcock. An absolute cancer to a team. He's never shown an ability to make players or a team better.

Reactions: 2xJack

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
First of all you have no clue if Yzerman approached any of these coaches. Second of all, I'm simply saying that IF any of these coaches were interested, wouldn't it be better to bring them on board now? Its quite obvious that peoples decisions can't be forced.

Sure. But if they can have a couple months off while still getting paid and have time to work the market... why wouldn't they? I see what you meant... however, the implication when you say "Why isn't Detroit doing this now" implies that Detroit is doing something wrong when the targets of their search are simply not motivated to sign now.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019

they could double up on salary for a few months. I’d be all over that.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
What are you on about? Was this a poor attempt at sarcasm?

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
they could double up on salary for a few months. I’d be all over that.

In the NHL, the team that fired their coach pays their full salary until they get a new job. At that point the former team will negotiate with the new team on how much they will pay of the new deal.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
In the NHL, the team that fired their coach pays their full salary until they get a new job. At that point the former team will negotiate with the new team on how much they will pay of the new deal.

why would the new team negotiate anything? The old team has no leverage. I’m not saying you’re wrong (this is the first I’ve heard of this.) just doesn’t make sense to me.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Sure. But if they can have a couple months off while still getting paid and have time to work the market... why wouldn't they? I see what you meant... however, the implication when you say "Why isn't Detroit doing this now" implies that Detroit is doing something wrong when the targets of their search are simply not motivated to sign now.
This is assuming that all of those coaches think there will be x amount of head coaching jobs available. All I'm saying is I don't find it that incredulous that some of these coaches would might want to find a job sooner rather than later and risk the job openings getting filled. I have a feeling if Yzerman hasn't approached any of these guys yet, (obviously theres a chance that he did and the coaches said they'd rather wait) he plans on keeping Blashill along just like hes stated in the past.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
why would the new team negotiate anything? The old team has no leverage. I’m not saying you’re wrong (this is the first I’ve heard of this.) just doesn’t make sense to me.

Those coaches are still being paid by their teams so any team has to get permission to speak to them.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006

here is more info

So, it’s in the Leafs’ best interest to have Babcock back in the workforce as soon as possible, earning as much as possible to mitigate their losses.
Any income Babcock earns from now on — be it in coaching, consulting, media, working for Hockey Canada, whatever — is subtracted from what the Leafs owe him, but Toronto must make him whole.
Now, Babcock can’t simply ski and hunt his days away and watch the money pile up. The onus is on him to at least try to find employment.
“You can’t just sit back on the couch and collect,” Glasberg explains. But: “He could say, ‘I spoke to three general managers, and there are no openings, and I’m not going to accept a lesser job, so I’m going to accept a lateral or progressive job, and those jobs don’t come available very often.’ ”
When a head job does open up, a delicate negotiation begins. Say, purely for example, a team like Vancouver or Calgary comes knocking. If they low-ball Kyle Dubas and offer to pay Babcock $2.5 million, Dubas could hang up the phone or get the league involved. Glasberg has seen that happen before.
Glasberg says the next club to hire Babcock must pay “a market-representative salary,” and — even though his reputation has just taken a hit — Babcock’s closest comparables would be Claude Julien and Todd McLellan, each of whom earns about $5 million.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
here is more info

So, it’s in the Leafs’ best interest to have Babcock back in the workforce as soon as possible, earning as much as possible to mitigate their losses.
Any income Babcock earns from now on — be it in coaching, consulting, media, working for Hockey Canada, whatever — is subtracted from what the Leafs owe him, but Toronto must make him whole.
Now, Babcock can’t simply ski and hunt his days away and watch the money pile up. The onus is on him to at least try to find employment.
“You can’t just sit back on the couch and collect,” Glasberg explains. But: “He could say, ‘I spoke to three general managers, and there are no openings, and I’m not going to accept a lesser job, so I’m going to accept a lateral or progressive job, and those jobs don’t come available very often.’ ”
When a head job does open up, a delicate negotiation begins. Say, purely for example, a team like Vancouver or Calgary comes knocking. If they low-ball Kyle Dubas and offer to pay Babcock $2.5 million, Dubas could hang up the phone or get the league involved. Glasberg has seen that happen before.
Glasberg says the next club to hire Babcock must pay “a market-representative salary,” and — even though his reputation has just taken a hit — Babcock’s closest comparables would be Claude Julien and Todd McLellan, each of whom earns about $5 million.
This is pretty interesting. I didn't know there was that much detail when it came to this.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
here is more info

Holy hell, thanks for that!

Reactions: DInTheB

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
here is more info

What is the source on this?

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

I believe Yzerman and Gallant are pretty good friends, as they used to be line mates. I would imagine they have already talked and if gallant is interested I would bet that an offer is already unofficially out there.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
What are you on about? Was this a poor attempt at sarcasm?

Question: Why haven't the Wings signed Coach X yet?
Answer: The Wings alone do not have the unilateral power and authority to sign a coach to a contract. The coach must also want to: (a) sign the contract, and (b) sign the contract before the end of the season.

The suggestion with the original comment and several long before is that our GM has done something wrong by not having a new coach under contract. The simple truth is that it takes two to tango.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I'm still on the Gallant, Lambert, Gronborg train. Gallant if we want an experienced head coach. Lambert if we want one of the best up and coming NHL coaches. Gronborg if we want one of the best coaches outside of North America.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad