With Boudreau fired by Minnesota... The quartet of coaches

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Question: Why haven't the Wings signed Coach X yet?
Answer: The Wings alone do not have the unilateral power and authority to sign a coach to a contract. The coach must also want to: (a) sign the contract, and (b) sign the contract before the end of the season.

The suggestion with the original comment and several long before is that our GM has done something wrong by not having a new coach under contract. The simple truth is that it takes two to tango.
The assumption is already there that it takes two to tango. My question is based on the assumption that the two parties are interested as the opposite is pretty damn obvious as you've mentioned.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Question: Why haven't the Wings signed Coach X yet?
Answer: The Wings alone do not have the unilateral power and authority to sign a coach to a contract. The coach must also want to: (a) sign the contract, and (b) sign the contract before the end of the season.

The suggestion with the original comment and several long before is that our GM has done something wrong by not having a new coach under contract. The simple truth is that it takes two to tango.
I think the dialogue is "Hey, we have some great coaches out there, what does everyone think if we go after one of these coaches and fire Blash?" I'm taking a massive assumption thinking everyone knows the coach has to want to come here too.

Reactions: Hammettf2b

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
they could double up on salary for a few months. I’d be all over that.

IIRC, the way it works for fired coaches is they have to actually seek out some kind of work and then whatever they end up making in the next job is subtracted from what they're owed by the team still paying them.

So for example, Babcock is going to get $6.25M a year for the next 3 years whether he takes on another HC gig or just becomes an analyst on NHL Network.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
IIRC, the way it works for fired coaches is they have to actually seek out some kind of work and then whatever they end up making in the next job is subtracted from what they're owed by the team still paying them.

So for example, Babcock is going to get $6.25M a year for the next 3 years whether he takes on another HC gig or just becomes an analyst on NHL Network.

yeah someone else broke this down already, thanks.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
I don't see why Babcock would bother coaching. If he gets paid over $5 mil per season until June 2023, I'd just retire. He's going to be 60 years old by then.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
here is more info

So, it’s in the Leafs’ best interest to have Babcock back in the workforce as soon as possible, earning as much as possible to mitigate their losses.
Any income Babcock earns from now on — be it in coaching, consulting, media, working for Hockey Canada, whatever — is subtracted from what the Leafs owe him, but Toronto must make him whole.
Now, Babcock can’t simply ski and hunt his days away and watch the money pile up. The onus is on him to at least try to find employment.
“You can’t just sit back on the couch and collect,” Glasberg explains. But: “He could say, ‘I spoke to three general managers, and there are no openings, and I’m not going to accept a lesser job, so I’m going to accept a lateral or progressive job, and those jobs don’t come available very often.’ ”
When a head job does open up, a delicate negotiation begins. Say, purely for example, a team like Vancouver or Calgary comes knocking. If they low-ball Kyle Dubas and offer to pay Babcock $2.5 million, Dubas could hang up the phone or get the league involved. Glasberg has seen that happen before.
Glasberg says the next club to hire Babcock must pay “a market-representative salary,” and — even though his reputation has just taken a hit — Babcock’s closest comparables would be Claude Julien and Todd McLellan, each of whom earns about $5 million.

Wait the Kings are paying TMac 5 million? What the actual f***.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Not sure why any team would hire Babcock. An absolute cancer to a team. He's never shown an ability to make players or a team better.
The '03 Ducks swept us, we were defending Champs, granted we were old, but we had prime Lidstrom, 1st yr Z, 2nd yr Datsyuk, Fedorov, Cujo etc. Swept! I don't recall how many goals we scored in that series, it wasn't many. iirc Giguere (mattress pads) had 1 or 2 shutouts. Screwy Lewi was the new HC.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkutswings

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I believe Yzerman and Gallant are pretty good friends, as they used to be line mates. I would imagine they have already talked and if gallant is interested I would bet that an offer is already unofficially out there.
I was hoping we'd swoop in & grab him the day he got axed. I wasn't aware of all the re-employment hurdles listed in this thread until about a month ago. I read Gallant stated "he hadn't spoken to any GM's & was gonna spend the rest of this season with family". Now maybe he's received phone calls but doesn't wanna broadcast it, nor would the GM's.

Reactions: kliq

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I was hoping we'd swoop in & grab him the day he got axed. I wasn't aware of all the re-employment hurdles listed in this thread until about a month ago. I read Gallant stated "he hadn't spoken to any GM's & was gonna spend the rest of this season with family". Now maybe he's received phone calls but doesn't wanna broadcast it, nor would the GM's.

It’s all about trust. If your buddy calls you and talks to you off the record, as long as just the two of you are aware of it, nothing is going to happen. Now if a GM who you have never talked to before calls you, you need to be careful. However, even in situation like the latter, guys just go through back channels to gauge interest.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
The '03 Ducks swept us, we were defending Champs, granted we were old, but we had prime Lidstrom, 1st yr Z, 2nd yr Datsyuk, Fedorov, Cujo etc. Swept! I don't recall how many goals we scored in that series, it wasn't many. iirc Giguere (mattress pads) had 1 or 2 shutouts. Screwy Lewi was the new HC.

Not to mention that team was a game away from a cup. In the third round, Minny only scored 1 goal the entire playoff series! Sure Giggy was on fire and was wearing that ridicules equipment, however Baba had that team playing like a well oiled machine as I remember watching those games.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Not to mention that team was a game away from a cup. In the third round, Minny only scored 1 goal the entire playoff series! Sure Giggy was on fire and was wearing that ridicules equipment, however Baba had that team playing like a well oiled machine as I remember watching those games.
I remember Minn upset the Avs (Patrick's last game ever) that year. It really broke his spirit, you could tell by his body language etc. The Wild were still a newer NHL club. That was my only solace for getting swept.

As far as the Ducks, Getzlaf & Perry weren't on the team yet, that's how cohesive they were (probably Babs best playoff year, coaching wise). No Pronger, no S.Niedermayer etc. #8seed, huge underdog.

I could see the Wings be a better version type of that team, speedy, some skill, hard working, gritty, some size, IQ etc. & squeak into the PO's in 2 yrs, upset the Laffs/B's in the 1st round.

Reactions: kliq

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

He also had no business losing in 06 or 12. The team he took to get dumped by Boston led by Franzen and Nyquist would probably be his other overachieving moment for me.

I have always said though Babcock sort of brings your teams to where expectations are for the roster. You give him a first round losing team he takes them to the first round. You give him the best team in the world he won 1 out of 3 in the NHL probaby one short of what I wanted and 2 out of 2 in the Olympics and one world cup, probably one more than he should have there. You give him a team that can advance in the playoffs he usually advances in the playoffs. You give the worst team in hockey and he finishes in dead last. That actually isn't easy to do in terms of meeting expectation. It was why he was a top 10 coach in the league, I just disagree with the notion he was the best. He got outcoached by Q and Trotz. Heck I thought Cooper outfoxed him even if he did have a superior team when we had Tampa on the ropes in his last year.

I am not sure where he resurfaces, his fall from grace was pretty massive. I think a lot of us that follow the Wings closely knew some of this stuff, but it is different or it to be that out there. Especially while he is still collecting an absurd amount of money from MLSE it is hard to see him back in the game anytime soon.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
He also had no business losing in 06 or 12. The team he took to get dumped by Boston led by Franzen and Nyquist would probably be his other overachieving moment for me.

I have always said though Babcock sort of brings your teams to where expectations are for the roster. You give him a first round losing team he takes them to the first round. You give him the best team in the world he won 1 out of 3 in the NHL probaby one short of what I wanted and 2 out of 2 in the Olympics and one world cup, probably one more than he should have there. You give him a team that can advance in the playoffs he usually advances in the playoffs. You give the worst team in hockey and he finishes in dead last. That actually isn't easy to do in terms of meeting expectation. It was why he was a top 10 coach in the league, I just disagree with the notion he was the best. He got outcoached by Q and Trotz. Heck I thought Cooper outfoxed him even if he did have a superior team when we had Tampa on the ropes in his last year.

I am not sure where he resurfaces, his fall from grace was pretty massive. I think a lot of us that follow the Wings closely knew some of this stuff, but it is different or it to be that out there. Especially while he is still collecting an absurd amount of money from MLSE it is hard to see him back in the game anytime soon.

As for the bold, 100% agree. I can remember debating people about this for years. I always thought he was good, but some people put the guy on a pedestal. He was good, but he was never Bill Belichick good as some would attempt to make you believe.

2006 I dont really blame him for. It felt like we dominated that series, but due to flukes, poor goaltending, a hot goalie on the other side, we just couldnt get it done. That was also his first year with us, and he only got better after that. 2012 I agree, that was the series that Weber got away with smashing Z's head off the glass, right?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
As for the bold, 100% agree. I can remember debating people about this for years. I always thought he was good, but some people put the guy on a pedestal. He was good, but he was never Bill Belichick good as some would attempt to make you believe.

2006 I dont really blame him for. It felt like we dominated that series, but due to flukes, poor goaltending, a hot goalie on the other side, we just couldnt get it done. That was also his first year with us, and he only got better after that. 2012 I agree, that was the series that Weber got away with smashing Z's head off the glass, right?

Yeah and they bowed out in a hurry, but also that year was kind of the focus of one of these storms. We now know some of it. I always think back the Franzen goal going in a tenth of a second too late. They got beat up down the stretch and just kind of lost their way, but what he did to Modano wasn't great in the room and some of the other things probably have a role in that team falling short as he began losing veteran support in a massive way, right down to him trying to verbally assault Mule in an elimination game on a team with cup aspirations, they were good enough to come from 3-1 down in my opinion.

Trotz deployed a deeper dropping breakout and that was a consistent theme to Mike Babcock exits that we would see continuously moving forward. It is something in my opinion he has honestly never figured out. It is also something he has seen a steady diet of since, it is how both Q and Cooper reversed their series and something Boston always has exploited on his teams.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
If you know you're a high value coach who will get hired again before long, why would you take the Detroit job? You could do a lot better. Teams have so much turnover these days that a number of jobs will open up just months down the line.

If Detroit wants a guy like Gallant they need to offer term. That’s the equalizer.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
In the NHL, the team that fired their coach pays their full salary until they get a new job. At that point the former team will negotiate with the new team on how much they will pay of the new deal.

For as long as the contract is valid.
Babcock will get paid by the Leafs for a long time - if he wants.
But if you fired Blash right now, wings would only owe him til the end of the season.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Given what coaches can command right now, not sure I'd sign with Detroit if I was Laviollette or Gallant. They could go to a contender, win the cup and write their own ticket.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad