With Boudreau fired by Minnesota... The quartet of coaches

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
There is no real reason to expose a coach to this dumpster fire season.
WIth Mantha back there's opportunities to start working on things for next season, such as the powerplay.

I think the big problem is assembling the coaching staff. This team doesn't need just a head coach, it needs an entire coaching staff. I think that's what's holding Stevie back. Plenty of head coaches available but how many assistant coaches want to sign with Detroit?

All I know is that I'm not watching next season if Disco Dan comes back.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
I’d be shocked if Gallant is not our coach next season. It’s nice that there are options out there.
Agree, and from what I've read, Gallant is wanting to collect his salary form Vegas and enjoy his grandkids through the end of the season. So, no rush.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
At this point, I don't think it's likely that any of these four get picked up before the end of the year.

There are a number of teams out there that have interims that may be looking for one of these guys on the NHL coach sushi train to plug in next year. Also, you have some new GM's (Yzerman, Guerin, whoever ends up sitting in the chair permanently in NJ) that will be looking for their own guy. I personally think that Babs is too damaged and Boudreau is past his shelf life at this point. I've read that Doug Weight might be a front-runner for the Wild job next year. Lavie will land somewhere and I think we get Gallant.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Mike Kelly got the ziggy as well. But, I've read that Gallant and Kelly are a package deal.
Mike Kelly is the director of HO for the Oshawa Generals and he's also coached for Windsor. Not a strong connection to Michigan, but at least he's familiar with the area.

Also, Kelly and Gallant have coached on different teams, but they do certainly seem to team up often (3 times).

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I dont mind Blashill, but i think you have to move on from him just to cleanse the organization of everything related to this season. I worry that players will tune out to Blashill next season even if he does a great job. The plethora of good coaching prospects makes it an easier decision.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I dont mind Blashill, but i think you have to move on from him just to cleanse the organization of everything related to this season. I worry that players will tune out to Blashill next season even if he does a great job. The plethora of good coaching prospects makes it an easier decision.

It's tough. I believe in Blashill as a long-term coach... But after a historical bad season it's difficult to justify maintaining status quo.

Honestly I hope they keep Blashill in the organization. He's been dealt a losing hand year after year and the players still seem to respect him. That's f***ing huge. Most teams like this implode with drama. Not so here.

Granted they do implode with goals against.

Reactions: LazyT and TheMule93

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad