Wish List for NBC Year 2

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
Wish List for NBC Year 2

instead of mentioning that: 'carolina's ray whitney use to be a stick boy for the edmonton oilers in the glory days, because his father was a practice goalie' once every whitney shift, they could mix it up and mention it atleast two or three times.

No One

Dec 1, 2003
Staples Center
Visit site
Stevedude530 said:
I think both parties made money, but neither entity paid the other.

ahh.. I thought the deal was that if NBC covered their production expenses, then the NHL and NBC split the profits.. Is that right?

That would be cool if NBC MADE money on the NHL.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
go kim johnsson 514 said:
:clap: :sarcasm: :shakehead

If JD is leaving, they have to get a name a lot of people will know. People aren't going to like me saying this but Pierre McGuire is the best they have after JD. Good or bad, he is at least interesting to listen to and has tremendous energy and passion. Let's be honest, how many color guys do the majority of fans actually like? I can't think of many.

I wouldn't move McGuire from where he is. He is the only one that makes the position work well. The reason is he is not afraid to jump in the middle of the 2 booth announcers to say what's going on. Also he is not afraid to just rip a player right in front of them. If you look at the other games the Inside the Glass reporter is pretty much a regular reporter just between the benches. Both have ot be asked by the PxP guy what is going on. Cammi Granato is the worse.

Overall both NBC and OLN need to bring in opinionated people for the intermission. Guys who aren't afraid call a player out. That's what will make it more entertaining. This past season I would change the channel during the breaks. I'm sure other people did too and guess what losing viewers for those 2 time periods hurts ratings.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
A big problem you are stuck with when you televise on the "regular" network like NBC or even Fox or ABC is that you won't see anything substantial until after the be-all, end-all cash cow for all networks football is over- especially on the weekends and you have regualar shows on weeknights so by that time a big chunk of the season has been played. That's one of the big advantages of a cable network like ESPN was and OLN because you can have games during the weeknights BEFORE the end of the NFL season. I don't see how you will get much more airtime realisitically from NBC than what they will expand to next season- gradually a little more each season. This is also why I hope that the NHL network really gets up and going by this next season to give more exposure.

KH1

go kim johnsson 514 said:
:clap: :sarcasm: :shakehead

If JD is leaving, they have to get a name a lot of people will know. People aren't going to like me saying this but Pierre McGuire is the best they have after JD. Good or bad, he is at least interesting to listen to and has tremendous energy and passion. Let's be honest, how many color guys do the majority of fans actually like? I can't think of many.

Color me a homer, but I think that they should use Joe Micheletti. He did some work for NBC as the inside the glass man and he's a very smart and honest color man who keeps things interesting.

You're right, McGuire has tremendous passion and energy but he's also an annoying jerk who lets his personal biases interfere with his work all the time. Keep him in the glass, that seems to work well enough. But have him talk less, not more!

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
They need to advertise more. Hockey fans know the games are on but I doubt the casual fan knows. I'm fine with the broadcasts themselves...they did well in presenting the games as did OLN.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
They need to advertise more. Hockey fans know the games are on but I doubt the casual fan knows. I'm fine with the broadcasts themselves...they did well in presenting the games as did OLN.

Also get John Tesh to improve the current verison of NHL On NBC Theme to more of a Roundball Rock(NBA On NBC Theme) Here the theme:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFypOpg8Wv0&search=NBA NBC

And NHL On NBC THEME:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYG1aUXW0m0&search=Dallas Stars SO(its at the end)

What they'll probably do with the color commentary situation is put Clement back on color commentary and put Al Michaels in the studio.

Last edited:

No One

Dec 1, 2003
Staples Center
Visit site
a channel that gives a rat's a$$ about hockey

So what is left in America for network coverage? Tried Fox and ABC, and they passed.

That leaves CBS and UPN. Which one of these would do any better than NBC? My guess, none.

As far as national cable networks, ESPN didn't pony up any money. And do you think they really care about hockey, when the Spelling Bee and Poker get higher ratings? Does anyone what the ratings are for the National Paintball Championships?

What the NHL may need is some stability in where people can find on television.

I would also like to see NBC/OLN do more cross promotion of thier games (like the NBA does, I swear there must be 1,000,000,000 screen crawlers advertising games on TNT when the game is on ESPN). What is wrong with NBC, on their Saturday games advertising the Monday night game on OLN? And OLN promoting the game on NBC? If they did do this (besides the playoffs), it wasn't enough, since I dont' remember.

For year 3, I would like ESPN2 to pick up Wed/Thur games.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
The sad part is that they do that. They take time out to announce the NHL's upcoming TV schedule and specifically OLN.

And many OLN screencrawlers have advertised NBC games.

Falloooooon

Nov 11, 2004
Didn't want to start a thread for this question, so here it is.

Were there any reports of players being extremely rude to McGuire and Granato when they were down on the ice for the NBC games? I guess because they resented the being there. I would think I would have heard about it here, but I didn't see it.

A guy I know is trying to convince me hockey players are big jerks and alcoholic wife beaters. He claims it was discussed on ESPN that players were being rude to them. I can handle the rest of the discussion my self, but I want to know about this.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Didn't want to start a thread for this question, so here it is.

Were there any reports of players being extremely rude to McGuire and Granato when they were down on the ice for the NBC games? I guess because they resented the being there. I would think I would have heard about it here, but I didn't see it.

A guy I know is trying to convince me hockey players are big jerks and alcoholic wife beaters. He claims it was discussed on ESPN that players were being rude to them. I can handle the rest of the discussion my self, but I want to know about this.

I never heard of any incident with the bench reporters. I know 1 player on the Rangers (i forget who) said sh*t during an interview with McGuire but it was said in joking manner and was clearly nothing against Mcguire being down there.

I know I read one thing about McGuire critizing a player while being between the bench to where the player could hear them. Apparently one of the coaches went to that player and said he's right.

As far a resentment I never saw any or heard of any. Overall the hockey players have a reputation of being nice guys.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Yeah he's right.

Lou Lamoriello hated ABC though, he NEVER let his players give interviews to the point where ABC was sick and tired of him.

OLN/NBC haven't had a problem getting an interview though.

Jazz

Yeah he's right.

Lou Lamoriello hated ABC though, he NEVER let his players give interviews to the point where ABC was sick and tired of him.

OLN/NBC haven't had a problem getting an interview though.
What is Lou's beef with ABC?

I have heard different people involved in TV (Hockey Night in Canada producer John Shannon, and Dan Murphy from Sportsnet) say in radio interviews that it is extremely hard to work in the NJ arena because Lou pulls so many stings there. EG, it is hard to confirm interviews, or interviews are abruptly cut short, or they are told at the last second that the player is not showing up....etc.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Lou just never saw it as that important for individuals to give interviews.

Now I guess Bettman made him.

ZDogg

Aug 10, 2004
Lethbridge, AB
I never heard of any incident with the bench reporters. I know 1 player on the Rangers (i forget who) said sh*t during an interview with McGuire but it was said in joking manner and was clearly nothing against Mcguire being down there.

That was Nylander... lol. That was one of the best moments on TV last year. The announcers just kept appologizing until they went off the air.

For me I have a dish so I can see any game whenever and where ever but I do like the NBC games when Pierre is between the benches and sometimes I find the on ice thing handy, although it seems most of the time it is following someone useless...

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
One complaint about NBC Stanley Cup Finals Coverage that they cutoff the Carolina Hurricanes celebration because of the local news stations in the east so they transfer the coverage to CNBC for the post game report like they did with the NBA Finals.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
One complaint about NBC Stanley Cup Finals Coverage that they cutoff the Carolina Hurricanes celebration because of the local news stations in the east so they transfer the coverage to CNBC for the post game report like they did with the NBA Finals.

And the World Series in 1997, and whatever other year the Peacock split it with Fox.

I like the idea of going to CNBC. It's what ABC does wth anything. "If you want to keep watching, please switch to ESPN."

NJDEVILS17*

1. show more teams (i wanna see 2 teams i never see play each other. i also wanna see the caps play)

2. get rid of pierre macguire, cammi granato, chris cuthbert, and eddie olcyuzch (sp?). bring bill clement into the booth for the lead color commentator

3. Show all 7 games of the finals

4. show some night games (like 7:00)

5. put joe micheletti as the lead reporter because he is actually good and not annoying unlike granato and macguire.

6. put the all-star game on nbc

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad