Wish List for NBC Year 2

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Since we've already got a big bonus, 10 Regular Season Saturdays, and 10 Playoff Games (Plus 3-7 of the Finals) the question lies:

Besides the obvious (Show the entire Cup skate) what should NBC do to improve it's coverage in 06-07.

1. Pregame Shows half an hour BEFORE puck drop. So we don't have to start games at 3:20. That's so boring.

2. 2 Games each week in HD. I'm guessing I'm unrealistic about all 3 games, but it's an improvement.

3. Replace Peter McNab. He is awful. Enough said.

4. Maybe for your opening day, do this:

1:00 Washington vs. Pittsburgh
3:30 Philadelphia vs. NY Rangers OR Detroit vs. Colorado

That would allow people to see the two (or three, if you count Malkin, or 4 if you count Fleury, and so on) brightest young stars in the NHL. Then, you can showcase 2 of the NHL's biggest rivalries.

Anyone else have a suggestion. Besides show the entire Cup celebration?

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
4 more regular season games, 3 more playoff games.

So it'll be 10 regular season Saturdays of coverage (You know the deal, 3 Regional Games at 2:00 ET, or 2 regional games at 2, 1 west coast game at 3PM PT)

Then it'll be the same schmere in the playoffs, except better. EVERY SINGLE SATURDAY AND SUNDAY OF THE PLAYOFFS WILL HAVE A GAME ON NBC.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Break out the old John Tesh NBA theme. I can't get used to watching NBC sports with out the olympic theme or Dah-dah-dah-dum.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
OLN bought the rights to the 1st two games.

By the way, Canadian teams do not generate ratings. Or I should say, they don't count in American ratings.

geezette

Jun 9, 2006
30 yrs in the minors
The absolute best thing US hockey fans can do now is to write their local station and thank them for having the games on. As well as you can't wait to tune in again next fall.
Stations get 1000 times more bad mail than good mail so they tend to pay more attention to the attaboy. Same same with local sponsors (or even national ones) tell them you appreciate their sponsorship and you will remember them if you are in the market for what they are selling.
I think I may go test drive a Dodge Calliber.

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
They need to change the theme song. NBC always busts out the good theme songs. The blew it here.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Have hockey on at least once a week from beginning of season to end. This "we're only showing 5 or 6 regular season games out of 1200" crap the networks give us is getting old. Wanna know why hockey gets lousy ratings on network TV? Nobody knows it's on, and nobody's home Saturday afternoons/evenings to watch it.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
King Henry I said:
Get some rivalry games on. Look at FOX baseball: people watch Yankees/Red Sox, not Yankees/Devil Rays.

Show me Rangers/Isles and Colorado/Detroit or Vancouver/Calgary. Something interesting to watch.
Colorado/ Detroit was on twice. :shakehead They only played 4 times.

Ways to improve
1. After football season have "Monday night Hockey" after Deal or no deal.
2. Show someone other than Colorado, Dallas, Detroit, NYR, and Philly, All but one of those teams got dumped in the first round.
3. Promote someone other than Sidney Crosby. The league is loaded with young talented kids give them some pub.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
darth bangkok said:
the best way to improve on it is to dump NBC.

That's some remarkable insight you have there. :shakehead

Seriously - how about some constructive suggestions for improvement?

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Same thing with GNashville. Those are just unrealistic ideas. This just in, the Preds aren't a national tv draw.

Just keep doing what your doing NBC. If you want to use my suggestions, they're at the top of the thread.

Falloooooon

Nov 11, 2004
McNab is the biggest joke of an announcer this side of Tripp Tracy. Not one person who is not an Avalanche fan will dispute this. This is a pretty good indication that he is a worthless, scum-sucking, lily-livered, goat-licking sack of crap.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
See, NBC's perspective is, hey, were not losin a dime on this deal, so why not try and make some money and get some ratings while were at it.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Who do you suggest replace Peter?

I agree he and John Kelly should be sent into the Bermuda Triangle but who replaces him?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Stevedude530 said:
Same thing with GNashville. Those are just unrealistic ideas. This just in, the Preds aren't a national tv draw.

Just keep doing what your doing NBC. If you want to use my suggestions, they're at the top of the thread.
Their team isn't, but their music is. :cry:

Guy Legend

Jun 2, 2005
St. Louis
Hasbro said:
Break out the old John Tesh NBA theme.

Gotta love that theme music.

As to the suggestions, I already find NBC's telecasts to be great. The only dislike was the fact that their telecasts start so late in the season.

I'd like to see a weekend game through out the entire season. With more advertising, Saturday afternoons should be a frequent destination for hockey.

Also, the intermissions are a bit boring. Highlights and player profiles are a must, but a "hot stove" type of segment with trade rumors/gossip would be entertaining.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
darth bangkok said:
the best way to improve on it is to dump NBC.

:clap: :sarcasm: :shakehead

If JD is leaving, they have to get a name a lot of people will know. People aren't going to like me saying this but Pierre McGuire is the best they have after JD. Good or bad, he is at least interesting to listen to and has tremendous energy and passion. Let's be honest, how many color guys do the majority of fans actually like? I can't think of many.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Here's my 2 cents:

1- Add a fourth set of broadcasters. NBC has Al Michaels now -- USE HIM!! For color, add Darren Pang, Denis Potvin, and like we've discussed on previous threads -Brett Hull and/or JR. Any of these could go on the "JD Replacement list", and Panger could work "Inside the Glass" easily.

2- 10 is fantastic, but I still want the old FOX set-up. Games every week, from the NFL Conference Championship weekend thru the Finals. A double-header every so often (once a month?) wouldn't be all bad, either.

3- I want the All-Star Game and all seven of the Final on NBC!!

4- ALL HI-DEF, ALL THE TIME!!!!

Otherwise, I was very pleased with the Peacock this year. Hopefully they will improve even more next year, and pick up the option on the contract, giving the NHL a longtime TV partner to work with.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
What was that like, anyway? the Fox setup. I was too young to remember. It must've been glorious.

By the way, to get that setup, NBC'd only have to add 2 or 3 more games, so maybe there's hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad