Transfer: Winter Transfer Thread Part III - Ronaldout

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm not too bothered. Like he's good technically, physically, and works pretty hard, but his decision-making is absolutely atrocious.
Not sure if he was given a consistent enough chance to showcase him ever fixing that problem though. If there is a problem with Spurs from a neutral fan's perspective is that you lot never play a consistent starting XI team. All I see out there in majority of games is Son, Kane, Hojbjerg and Lloris. Then it's a revolving door at CB, Lucas getting half of the games as winger, Ndombele who gets subbed off every match he starts, Regulion getting dropped after he makes a mistake, the legend Romero sitting on the bench, Dier playing like five positions, Lo Celso doing pretty much nothing, Alli not even featuring in matches anymore, and just randomness in the midfield with Winks and Skipp with whatever they bring. I just see a bunch of players getting played so they can fill in an open spot instead of players fitting a sort of style or tactics.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Not sure if he was given a consistent enough chance to showcase him ever fixing that problem though. If there is a problem with Spurs from a neutral fan's perspective is that you lot never play a consistent starting XI team. All I see out there in majority of games is Son, Kane, Hojbjerg and Lloris. Then it's a revolving door at CB, Lucas getting half of the games as winger, Ndombele who gets subbed off every match he starts, Regulion getting dropped after he makes a mistake, the legend Romero sitting on the bench, Dier playing like five positions, Lo Celso doing pretty much nothing, Alli not even featuring in matches anymore, and just randomness in the midfield with Winks and Skipp with whatever they bring. I just see a bunch of players getting played so they can fill in an open spot instead of players fitting a sort of style or tactics.

I'm not denying that the squad needs work, but I'm going to address a few players you listed:

Lucas has become a consistent starter under Conte.

CB is only a revolving door due to injuries.

Reguilon is absolutely a consistent starter.

Romero is injured mate.

Dier has played CB the entire season. Much improved under Conte.

There's a good reason why Alli doesn't feature anymore.

Winks and Skipp have been great since Conte came in.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm not denying that the squad needs work, but I'm going to address a few players you listed:

Lucas has become a consistent starter under Conte.

CB is only a revolving door due to injuries.

Reguilon is absolutely a consistent starter.

Romero is injured mate.

Dier has played CB the entire season. Much improved under Conte.

There's a good reason why Alli doesn't feature anymore.

Winks and Skipp have been great since Conte came in.
I get that it's natural to go all hype, but mate he's coached what...three matches?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yup, his gross salary per year is much more reasonable now. Still a tad overpaid but will be easier to move him. A lot of these guys have done a lot for the club, between the captains down to the miscasts (Pjanic, Coutinho, etc).

The more I think about this though the more I dislike it. I worry that we’re now stuck with him until 2026. I think I’d rather have been stuck with him at the higher wage because he would’ve been gone in 2023. I think he’s still going to be difficult to offload.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Apparently, l'equipe is reporting that Coman is about to sign a new contract with Bayern.

Bild is reporting that Gladbach will bring Friedrich in to replace Ginter. Hard to be glad that a key player is leaving, but it's pretty cool that I'll be able to continue rooting for Marvin...and he should be a great replacement for Ginter.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
If they don’t sign him it spells the end of this dominant lfc side. What a message to send your fans looool.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If they don’t sign him it spells the end of this dominant lfc side. What a message to send your fans looool.

If he leaves, it is a big blow. However, the end of the world would be him AND Klopp, and more importantly, losing him on a free. The club is not rich enough to replace him, and if they got nothing for him, they would be even more destitute.

That said, if they decide to not sign him to a new contract (which would be completely stupid and they all need to be sacked), but sold him, they would make enough money to eventually get back to a top side. For what it's worth, Klopp has lost top players to other sides and kept going. It would not be what I want to see, but it wouldn't be the end of days.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Apparently, l'equipe is reporting that Coman is about to sign a new contract with Bayern.

Bild is reporting that Gladbach will bring Friedrich in to replace Ginter. Hard to be glad that a key player is leaving, but it's pretty cool that I'll be able to continue rooting for Marvin...and he should be a great replacement for Ginter.

Yeah, Kicker's reporting it as well and they're saying he might be brought in as soon as today.

Good replacement even though I doubt Ginter will leave during the January window and will rather get that signing bonus as a free transfer.

Though, with Hütter playing a back three adding another CB makes sense, especially with Bensebaini being at the Africa Cup and possibly leaving this window(just like Thuram) as well.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He’s not re-signing. I’m going to enjoy what’s left of his tenure but as I have been saying, I don’t think it’s happening.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
If he leaves, it is a big blow. However, the end of the world would be him AND Klopp, and more importantly, losing him on a free. The club is not rich enough to replace him, and if they got nothing for him, they would be even more destitute.

That said, if they decide to not sign him to a new contract (which would be completely stupid and they all need to be sacked), but sold him, they would make enough money to eventually get back to a top side. For what it's worth, Klopp has lost top players to other sides and kept going. It would not be what I want to see, but it wouldn't be the end of days.

I've pointed it out before, but the spine of this Liverpool side - Alisson, VvD, Henderson, Salah - is 29-31 and the window of this group of players will only last a couple more seasons. As you point out, Liverpool don't have the money to go out and rebuild this side like Man City did after losing Kompany, Silva and Aguero.

Hell, half of that Liverpool spine came from getting £150M for Coutinho. If I'm them, I sell Salah this summer and use it to buy a couple of younger players to start rebuilding the team. And if I'm Salah and I want to win a Ballon D'Or to round out my trophy cabinet I'd look to leave England too.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

He's lost top players but never on the level of Salah. They also struck oil with Salah, trying to replicate that will be daunting for anyone. I agree Klopp is more important but its more likely than not that this spells the decline of LFC.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Lewandowski not of a similar importance? The next season was not as good in the league, but won a trophy, and the year after under Tuchel they did run second.

I'm not saying it's a good process to go down, and I feel less good about it with Edwards gone this summer. However, at some point, some of this team is going to need to be replaced. I don't want it to be Salah to go, but maybe he has the most value in the transfer market. Maybe Mane gets back to his top form being the main guy again. Maybe they can use a Salah fee to get 2-3 players, and continue to develop some talented younger players.

I'll be honest, I felt much more concerned about the front three before they showed that Jota could fit in. I'm not saying Jota is Salah, but he's on the way up more so than down. Another player like that, and I think they're different but not inherently worse.

I also agree that I don't know if it looks good for the resigning of Salah. I think they're going to toe the line, for better or worse.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He's lost top players but never on the level of Salah. They also struck oil with Salah, trying to replicate that will be daunting for anyone. I agree Klopp is more important but its more likely than not that this spells the decline of LFC.
Klopp is also done in 2024

Next season is going to be their “Last Dance” season and then things will get….interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad