OT: Winter Storm Jonas

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Haha. My girlfriend and I met up with s other couple at a restaurant last night (walked obviously). There were a ton of people out in two feet of snow, surprisingly.

The apocalypse could be going on in full swing and people would still be out on Washington St :laugh:

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
I'm finally done! Hopefully that's it for this winter. Ridiculous what one storm can do. Hopefully the warmer weather this week takes care of all of the huge piles.

I finally finished shovelling around 2 am last night/this morning. Came in, watched some Aussie Open, and then collapsed until about noon. :laugh:

I think I'm done with snow for the remainder of the year. I was honestly only expecting 15 or so inches tops, and next thing I know, we have 24-30 on the ground. Pretty sure I literally shovelled a ton of snow yesterday between my property and my neighbor's property.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I finally finished shovelling around 2 am last night/this morning. Came in, watched some Aussie Open, and then collapsed until about noon. :laugh:

I think I'm done with snow for the remainder of the year. I was honestly only expecting 15 or so inches tops, and next thing I know, we have 24-30 on the ground. Pretty sure I literally shovelled a ton of snow yesterday between my property and my neighbor's property.

Brutal man, I hope your back feels better than mine does. :D

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
If the weather and above freezing temperature doesn't melt the ice, NYC Sanitation has a snow melter(s?) they use. I assume they'll be bringing these out for this storm. This is from 2010,

It's used a lot more in Manhattan than in the Outer Boroughs. I've seen them trucking away snow from bus stops in my neighborhood, but never saw something like that. Maybe downtown Brooklyn or along one of the main streets (Flatbush would be the most likely--a main artery but not very wide) but not routinely elsewhere.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
It's used a lot more in Manhattan than in the Outer Boroughs. I've seen them trucking away snow from bus stops in my neighborhood, but never saw something like that. Maybe downtown Brooklyn or along one of the main streets (Flatbush would be the most likely--a main artery but not very wide) but not routinely elsewhere.

The set up a huge one in the Orchard Beach parking lot in the Bronx.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Does anyone know how long this weather is supposed to last?
I've got a connecting flight in Newark on my way to a Metal Cruise leaving from Fr. Lauderdale in about a week... :cry:

Is that the one Queensryche will be a part of?

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Ah, tough guy (you can tell your kids how you hiked miles in the snow just to go to work). No wonder why you like hockey!:handclap:

i'm actually a 25 year old woman :laugh: if i don't have kids now, i'm surely running low on time. but the walk wasn't bad. the main streets are all cleaned up, and i can walk in them. just have to be wary of traffic.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
i'm actually a 25 year old woman :laugh: if i don't have kids now, i'm surely running low on time. but the walk wasn't bad. the main streets are all cleaned up, and i can walk in them. just have to be wary of traffic.

Me too (as in I'm a gal--although more than twice your age). Glad things weren't bad getting to work. We're Brooklyn tough.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Just have to share my story.

Girlfriend and I were on Vacation in Mexico all last week, and first heard about this storm when we went to check in for our flight back to Philly, cancelled because they didn't want to leave planes in Philly overnight (It wasn't snowing yet). Next flight available Sunday, **** staying in Mexico where I dont speak Spanish and my credit card wont work because I told the bank I was only staying until Friday.

So we caught a flight to the closest airport to Philadelphia taking flights at the time, Chicago O Hare. We got re-booked on a flight from Chicago to Philly Sunday afternoon, and we were just gonna ride it out in a hotel in Chicago. To add insult to injury, we were coming back from a tropical vacation and had NO WARM CLOTHES. So Saturday morning we went out to buy some, and on the way back to the hotel, we got an email that our Sunday flight out of Chicago was gonna be cancelled. Great

At that point we didn't know what to do. My GF called her parents who live in Pittsburgh, and they said they would drive us home if we could make it there somehow. we called the airline and they said they could get us to Pittsburgh through Charlotte. we jumped on it, checked out immediately and started our trek home.

By 10pm Saturday, 2 flights and a layover later we finally got to Pittsburgh. From there we started our trek across Pennsylvania through the night. had to take ~100 miles of side roads to avoid a closed section of the PA turnpike in Western PA. Finally arrived home at 5:30 am Sunday Morning, just to sleep for about 3 hours and wake up to shovel snow all day. (missed the Ranger game, thank God)

In about a 40 hour time frame, I was in Cancun, Chicago, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia.

It was a harrowing journey. But I'm glad we made it home Sunday and didn't have to burn yet another vacation day in January.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad