Series Talk: Winter Olympics 2022: Ice Hockey Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
They know how to, they just don't want to. Oh wait, this is Nike...yeah, good design is not anywhere in their portfolio.

It's so incredibly easy to make a USA hockey jersey and still we wind up with utter trash at least half of the time. So ridiculous when there's a timeless classic utterly beloved by American hockey fans that this is just another bad take on. Just give us the good jersey instead of constantly modernizing it into something that immediately sucks.

But this is Nike...I guess we should be happy it's not neon. Still don't know how anyone could look at those jerseys and think, yep, this is a good design that will be enjoyed by hockey fans.
Nike and Adidas are just trying so hard to force hockey jerseys to be these weird, pseudo-soccer kit kinda things. It just doesn't work, imo. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Nike and Adidas are just trying to hard to force hockey jerseys to be these weird, pseudo-soccer kit kinda things. It just doesn't work, imo. :laugh:

Probably has something to do with hockey jerseys being canvasses with about twice as much room to work with. Hockey jerseys either look amazing or like utter shit when they contain so few elements. A timeless football/soccer look tends to just look like a cheap practice jersey when stretched out over all that extra material. Especially the sleeves.

I will never understand why Nike & Adidas are so allergic to horizontal stripes. The list of best-looking jerseys throughout history pretty much all have waist stripes, but some idiot decided that waist stripes make you slow or something ~15 years ago and they keep trying to design jerseys without them...before inevitably switching to something with stripes again because none of these stripe-less designs are anything approaching timeless. They're not allergic to stripes, they'll put stripes all over the damn place, just never where they should be.

If there's anything a USA jersey shouldn't be lacking, it's horizontal striping. They did it with the USA part and decided that was enough, everything below the elbow & chest is just vacant real estate. If your hockey jersey would look better as a t-shirt then you didn't design a f***ing hockey jersey, you designed a t-shirt. Congrats, Nike, I'm sure you'll sell dozens of these.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Why do some nice, simple, crisp designs when you can go nuts with garish, metallic stuff with weird hidden images within?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I guess Finland also received the memo that their jerseys need to look like a soccer team.

FINLAND-2022-OLYMPIC-HOCKEY-UNIFORMS-JERSEYS-SPORTSLOGOSNET-SUOMI-750x513.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Shift

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
USA women and Czech women were tied 1-1 with the shots like 48-5 with 10 minutes left. Then the Czech goalie lost her stick and her dman didn’t help her and then redirected the puck in. Rip.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
USA women and Czech women were tied 1-1 with the shots like 48-5 with 10 minutes left. Then the Czech goalie lost her stick and her dman didn’t help her and then redirected the puck in. Rip.
She has been the best goalie in the tournament. Canadian commentators were saying shes also been one of the best players overall. I was really routing for an upset there.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
This is probably the first year that I didn't stay up to watch this game. In 2018 I think it didn't end until like 2am??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad