News Article: Winnipeg won't get hockey back this season even if NHL resumes: Jets source

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I would guess it comes down to lack of enough high end hotel availability in and around the arena. Also our practice facility is a decent away from the MTS center which adds some other logistical challenges. The MTS Centre is on the small end and may not have enough dressing room capability to house 6 to 7 teams. I would imagine they will want each team purely sequestered to one area for the duration of the season.

I think this is the case.

For example, Columbus has a building, practice facility and hotel all in one location.

The NHL will want to keep the players, coaches, trainers, refs and off ice officials together to limit contamination.

Last edited:
Reactions: surixon

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I saw another report that identified Edmonton as the Canadian candidate city. Not sure why Edmonton is a better choice than Winnipeg. I thought Alberta had a higher density of Covid cases.

Wonder if wifi concerns came into play?!?!?! :naughty:

Edmonton is a better city because they have a Marriott essentially right next door to the arena. The arena is also much larger with far more locker rooms and a top-notch practice rink in the same building in which they could have a second game occurring simultaneously. The ICE district in Edmonton could essentially be it's own biodome cut off from the outside world. BellMTS Centre is far smaller with no attached practice rink and no luxurious hotel next door for the next couple years at least.

It's almost certainly a moot point. It isn't likely we will see NHL hockey this summer as a vaccine will not be ready for distribution to the general public.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I already received a refund from TNSE for my STH payment plan for the March payment. Are you talking about walk up ticket refunds and/or for STH that had already paid for the entire year? I doubt they are going to pocket the money for games that will not have fans in attendance and not refund in some way if that is the case.

TNSE is pleased to announce that all Winnipeg Jets season ticket holders will be reimbursed for the remaining 2019-2020 regular season games in the form of a credit to the Winnipeg Jets Store*.

* Store credit is only applicable to regular priced merchandise.:naughty:

Reactions: JetsCameHome

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Good. Cancel the season already. Too gimmicky to be a legit Stanley cup playoffs. Start fresh in October with or without fans.
I agree cancel the season but do a tournament like the World Cup.
Have 8 Groups of 4 teams.
I know there's only 31 teams so have one group with 3 teams and put Boston in that group for being #1 this year.
Everyone loves lotteries ... so do it to see which team goes in what group.
Each team in the group plays each other twice home and away.
Regular win is 3 pts ... OT wins 2 pts ... OT loss 1 pt and 0 for loss in regular.
Top 2 teams in the group advance.
Do the next round the same way and when you get down to the final 4 have best of 3 or 5.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
TNSE is pleased to announce that all Winnipeg Jets season ticket holders will be reimbursed for the remaining 2019-2020 regular season games in the form of a credit to the Winnipeg Jets Store*.

* Store credit is only applicable to regular priced merchandise.:naughty:

TNSE is pleased to announce that all Winnipeg Jets season ticket holders will be reimbursed for the remaining 2019-2020 regular season games in the form of Winnipeg Jets Reward Points*.

*For the convenience of our Season Ticket Holders these Jets Reward Points will expire on August 31st, 2020.

m.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I imagine if they finish the season in-division, in one city, they could potentially do away with the wildcard as well and just continue the first two rounds of the playoffs in the same city with the same teams.

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
I agree cancel the season but do a tournament like the World Cup.
Have 8 Groups of 4 teams.
I know there's only 31 teams so have one group with 3 teams and put Boston in that group for being #1 this year.
Everyone loves lotteries ... so do it to see which team goes in what group.
Each team in the group plays each other twice home and away.
Regular win is 3 pts ... OT wins 2 pts ... OT loss 1 pt and 0 for loss in regular.
Top 2 teams in the group advance.
Do the next round the same way and when you get down to the final 4 have best of 3 or 5.
Convincing players to get excited to play in empty arenas for some meaningless exhibition tournament would be difficult. Would be some lackluster games in an already lackluster setting. If there's any chance of going through a normal playoff schedule they should do it. That's the best chance to get some actually decent games. The atmosphere wouldn't be the same, but it would still be a proper stanley cup in my book.

Also, to me any hockey is better than no hockey. I don't understand why some people would rather not have the option to watch hockey in the summer. If you're not gonna watch, then don't.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Someone must be developing a virtual Fan experience far the games.

Have fans watch at home buying credits that they can used to boost their team's morale during a game. The players will be like webcam models.

each player has to carry a hundred pound bag with them when he skates. And the more money fans give the less weight he has to carry. I'm sure the NHL is going to make money off of something.

papasan

Dec 24, 2013
Winnipeg
Does anyone know if hockey does restart with no fans, if the NHL will only broadcast games as "PAY per View"?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Summer hockey will be a poor draw for TV.
After self isolation and social distancing who in their right mind is going to watch hockey when it’s + 30 and nice out???

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Does anyone know if hockey does restart with no fans, if the NHL will only broadcast games as "PAY per View"?
No chance. The only reason the NHL wants to finish season is to fulfill the tv contracts.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

it won’t be pay per view to finish off the 2019-20 season. The “ONLY” reason the players or owners are interested in finishing off the season is (according to Lebrun) they have about $400-$500 million in current TV, media, and sponsorship commitments to cash in on.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Summer hockey will be a poor draw for TV.
After self isolation and social distancing who in their right mind is going to watch hockey when it’s + 30 and nice out???

I know I won't be watching. Our summers are short enough as it is and I give into my desire to watch hockey each year into June... but to start watching in July..after being locked up in the house for months.. not happening.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I know I won't be watching. Our summers are short enough as it is and I give into my desire to watch hockey each year into June... but to start watching in July..after being locked up in the house for months.. not happening.

Just PVR all the summer games and catch up in the Fall. :nod:

Reactions: cbcwpg and Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad