News Article: Winnipeg won't get hockey back this season even if NHL resumes: Jets source

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Winnipeg won't be seeing NHL hockey games in the near future even if the league does resume this season, a source with the Winnipeg Jets says.
The NHL is considering bringing back hockey in a handful of cities — but Winnipeg is not one of the cities being considered, the source said.
The league is weighing using a format where the league would have multiple teams play in four cities with full professional facilities, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said Wednesday.
"The particular location could be anywhere that isn't a hotspot and has everything we need in terms of the arena and having practice facilities, because if you bring in seven or eight clubs to a particular facility and you're playing lots of games on a regular basis without travel, there does need to be ice for practice," he said during a news conference.
NHL hockey was put on pause indefinitely on March 12 as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, with 189 regular-season games remaining.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-jets-covid-19-season-1.5542245

m.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I don't understand what they are suggesting. Does it mean all the NHL teams would be playing in those four cities or that a selection of NHL teams would be? I mean I don't think anyone anywhere is going to be sitting in arenas watching hockey this season so the fact that games might not actually be played in an empty facility in Winnipeg...well I couldn't care less really. But I don't know how they could bung together something that doesn't include all the franchises...

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I like how Toronto is a hot zone but ya hockey. Edmonton looks good. I didn't read the rest.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I don't understand what they are suggesting. Does it mean all the NHL teams would be playing in those four cities or that a selection of NHL teams would be?

All the teams would be playing in those 4 cities. So 7 or 8 teams would be staying at the hotel connected to the rinks.

The only danger is some crazy fans latch onto McDavid with the Kung Flu grip.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I would guess it comes down to lack of enough high end hotel availability in and around the arena. Also our practice facility is a decent away from the MTS center which adds some other logistical challenges. The MTS Centre is on the small end and may not have enough dressing room capability to house 6 to 7 teams. I would imagine they will want each team purely sequestered to one area for the duration of the season.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
All the teams would be playing in those 4 cities. So 7 or 8 teams would be staying at the hotel connected to the rinks.

The only danger is some crazy fans latch onto McDavid with the Kung Flu grip.

Yeah, so big deal if they don't play in Winnipeg. They won't be playing with fans in the stands. Who cares what empty arenas we watch them play in on TV...

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Don't really care where they play because there will be no fans anyway.

But what I might have issue with is that they will have to redo the schedule so you finish with 82 games played.

So for Winnipeg:

Instead of playing: Calgary, Vanc, Florida, Minn, Dallas, Nash, Col , Vegas, Calgary, Col, Arizona

You end up playing only against the other teams that have been sequestered to your city. This could work out really well for some teams and really bad for others.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
So can we get our refunds now for the missed games or is True North going to say sorry the games are still going to happen so no refund. I'm sure a few people could use that money now instead of True North making interest.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
So can we get our refunds now for the missed games or is True North going to say sorry the games are still going to happen so no refund. I'm sure a few people could use that money now instead of True North making interest.

TNSE said we will get refunds or credits for games not played, but neither will happen until games in Winnipeg are officially cancelled.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
TNSE said we will get refunds or credits for games not played, but neither will happen until games in Winnipeg are officially cancelled.

I know what they said but everyone knows that games with fans are not happening for the rest of this season. It would be nice for them to return the money to those that could use it now. Public relations are not big priority for them.

Reactions: robertocarlos

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I know what they said but everyone knows that games with fans are not happening for the rest of this season. It would be nice for them to return the money to those that could use it now. Public relations are not big priority for them.

I agree. There can't possibly be anyone at TNSE that actually thinks we are going to be able to attend any games to finish off the current season. That is not happening. And who knows if we will even be going to games during next season. They should give us our money back now.

Reactions: robertocarlos

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I already received a refund from TNSE for my STH payment plan for the March payment. Are you talking about walk up ticket refunds and/or for STH that had already paid for the entire year? I doubt they are going to pocket the money for games that will not have fans in attendance and not refund in some way if that is the case.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
I already received a refund from TNSE for my STH payment plan for the March payment. Are you talking about walk up ticket refunds and/or for STH that had already paid for the entire year? I doubt they are going to pocket the money for games that will not have fans in attendance and not refund in some way if that is the case.
I had both season tickets that were paid for in full and single game tickets for March games and have not received any refund or even any direct communication from True North as to what is going on.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I had both season tickets that were paid for in full and single game tickets for March games and have not received any refund or even any direct communication from True North as to what is going on.

Oh OK, they did refund the ones on payment plans for the March payment. I had 2 games left so the refund was more or less the cost of the games but that will probably be fixed, I think I might be out 20 bucks on it. So I would assume you will be getting a refund for your games at some point and they would fix the balances etc

None

Feb 22, 2012
A quote from this article from a few days ago that I linked in another thread. - Elliotte Friedman said that it could just be teams from the division in one location, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Elliotte Friedman said:
The neutral-sites idea looks like a no-go.

Instead, we’re looking at one NHL city per division to resume the season. Teams from that division would be brought to this location. And, it sounds like the plan is to complete the regular season — if possible. One idea, a triple-header per day at each location to get it done in three weeks. The players have to agree.
Looking at the CDC and Canadian information, I could see places like Edmonton, Minnesota and Raleigh being options if the league and the respective governments were willing.

I think there's 85 games remaining for the 7 Central teams combined. I think that would mean that any scenario involving only the central teams would result in 1 team finishing the season with only 81 games I think.

Games remaining for teams in the Central division
Chicago 70
Colorado 70
Dallas 69
Minnesota 69
Nashville 69
St Louis 71
Winnipeg 71

A scenario like this probably wouldn't be fair to teams that are on the bubble in stacked divisions like Toronto and Carolina having to play Boston and Tampa more than they were originally scheduled to. The Jets and Preds might not be too happy about having to play the Avs and Blues more than normal either.
There probably isn't any one scenario that would be completely fair (aside from the original schedule) given that the season was already ~85% finished.
From a competitive standpoint I think it could be argued that playing no more regular season games would be more fair based on points percentage, I think it's clear that the intent of finishing the regular season is just to recoup lost revenue though.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Good. Cancel the season already. Too gimmicky to be a legit Stanley cup playoffs. Start fresh in October with or without fans.

Half the fun during the playoffs is the hype around the city. It would be odd watching them make a run without any home games and without any of the usual festivities In the city that come with playoff hockey.
Also, is anyone as interested and invested in hockey in July & August? The whole thing just seems silly to me at this point.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Oh OK, they did refund the ones on payment plans for the March payment. I had 2 games left so the refund was more or less the cost of the games but that will probably be fixed, I think I might be out 20 bucks on it. So I would assume you will be getting a refund for your games at some point and they would fix the balances etc

They should give you the 20 dollars as well.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If there arent going to be any fans then Sask isnt a bad place. Saskatoon, Regina and Moose Jaw have good buildings capable of supporting television crews with good sightlines, lighting and ice.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Half the fun during the playoffs is the hype around the city. It would be odd watching them make a run without any home games and without any of the usual festivities In the city that come with playoff hockey.
Also, is anyone as interested and invested in hockey in July & August? The whole thing just seems silly to me at this point.

I for one would watch as I'm fairly sick of watching re-runs on TV. It won't be the same but it would at least be something live and undecided.

Also I believe the NHL has 300 million in TV and other revenue that they can get if they finish the season so there is an economic incentive for each party.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Regular season is bad enough with no fans, playoffs would suck . Just file this season and start figuring out how next season will go , i would watch because i'm a Jets fan but the second they got knocked out i wouldn't watch anymore.

Reactions: GNP and Eyeseeing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad