Confirmed with Link: Winnipeg signs G Laurent Brossoit (1 year, 650k)

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Brossoit is not taking over the starting job here. He's playing great and good for him, since preseason game 1 I felt we had something in this kid and Im glad he's playing great as we needed a backup like him. But he's still a back up here, Helly is the starter.
Helly looked tired last year by the last series but let's remember that he played 67 games for the first time in his career (56 was previous career high) plus another 17 playoff games for 84 games. He will not play 67 this year for starters. When discussing starts lets also not forget that starting goalies want to play and that goes a long way for their confidence. Helly playing anywhere from 55-60 games will be fine, it's a lot less games then last year and is a nice balance between giving the back up enough starts and resting our starter. But Id be leery in pushing Helly aside (thinking more rest the better) as he is the guy that will take us to the promise land, he's starting to get better but doesn't have his full swagger back yet but it's coming so give him the starts he needs and worry about that more than worrying about Brossoit. We are still winning after all and in first place in the west so no need to sit the starter. Once he gets going the Jets will be lights out and he will get going and win us games, Brossoit pushing him is great, should light a fire but Helly still needs his starts, my guess he gets 57.

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
Brossoit is not taking over the starting job here. He's playing great and good for him, since preseason game 1 I felt we had something in this kid and Im glad he's playing great as we needed a backup like him. But he's still a back up here, Helly is the starter.

Totally agree - we can be happy with a strong starter and a strong backup, there's no need to start moving to a 1a/1b scenario like we've had the past yet.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
This seems reasonable. If Helly felt comfortable with that workload it would help keep him rested for the playoffs. If Brossoit could keep up a SV% among the league leaders with 25-27 games that would be very impressive.
Agree. I don't think a goalie should play close to 65 games or more in today's game. I think that ended up being the case last year because of our obvious flaws in backups, but we certainly don't have that issue anymore. We have, if I got it correctly, 5 more back-to-backs where Brossoit will obviously play. Give him 10 more starts on top of that, giving him 25 starts and Hellebuyck 57, and I think we have a good split this season.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I think the better Brossoit continues to play, we'll see the same of out Helle. The guy has been great and looks very confident out there. The team seems pretty comfortable with him in there as well, that's a good push for Bucky.

Reactions: Jets 31 and GNP

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I'd start giving him more and more starts until he blows it. Strange that I have full confidence in his starts and when Helle starts I wait for him to let in a crap goal.
I personally think Helle needs the competition. Why did he do so well last year? Because he was the backup and had to earn the starter spot. Now he's locked in, his mental game is out the window.
This is true. He's bathing in cash now, so some motivation is gone. He's lost that "edge" now that he is set for life.

Reactions: Mbraunm

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Helly looked tired last year by the last series but let's remember that he played 67 games for the first time in his career (56 was previous career high) plus another 17 playoff games for 84 games. He will not play 67 this year for starters. When discussing starts lets also not forget that starting goalies want to play and that goes a long way for their confidence. Helly playing anywhere from 55-60 games will be fine, it's a lot less games then last year and is a nice balance between giving the back up enough starts and resting our starter. But Id be leery in pushing Helly aside (thinking more rest the better) as he is the guy that will take us to the promise land, he's starting to get better but doesn't have his full swagger back yet but it's coming so give him the starts he needs and worry about that more than worrying about Brossoit. We are still winning after all and in first place in the west so no need to sit the starter. Once he gets going the Jets will be lights out and he will get going and win us games, Brossoit pushing him is great, should light a fire but Helly still needs his starts, my guess he gets 57.

100 % this ^

Helle will be fine make sure we get his number of games played right so he is ready for the long run. Other than that we can all drop and kiss the ground and thank the hockey gods we landed a “back up” who is crushing it and adding allot of value to the team.

Reactions: AlphaLackey and GNP

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Brossoit has certainly proven me wrong. I wonder why he had such a mediocre year with the Oilers in 2017-18? I just pray he is the real deal, and teams do not figure him out like they did with Hutch after the 2015 All-Star break.

Reactions: Eyeseeing and GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Brossoit has certainly proven me wrong. I wonder why he had such a mediocre year with the Oilers in 2017-18? I just pray he is the real deal, and teams do not figure him out like they did with Hutch after the 2015 All-Star break.

I'm quite sure he's the real deal Jets4Life-- but we have a little ways to go with him. I have seen him show some small cracks in his armor over the last 4 games ( not last one) but generally I think he'll be a bigtime winner for the Jets. Good size, great lateral movement, very fast glove hand, and plays the angles perfectly --and no panic. I'd be very surprised to see him flop like Hutch.

I think Chevy signed a "real winner" in this Brossoit guy. Time will tell.

Last edited:

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Agree. I don't think a goalie should play close to 65 games or more in today's game. I think that ended up being the case last year because of our obvious flaws in backups, but we certainly don't have that issue anymore. We have, if I got it correctly, 5 more back-to-backs where Brossoit will obviously play. Give him 10 more starts on top of that, giving him 25 starts and Hellebuyck 57, and I think we have a good split this season.

I'm thinking the back-to-backs and about half the starts starting in March once we've cinched or all-but-clinched a playoff spot. Definitely down with your 27-55 split too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad