Confirmed with Link: Winnipeg signs G Laurent Brossoit (1 year, 650k)

PegCityJets9

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
twitter.com
Brossoit has outplayed Helle and deserves to be the #1 goalie until he cools off. Unfortunately politics and stubbornness will prevent that from happening.

He has been sensational. If he played more games he could have potentially won the vezina based on his stats and winning percentage.

This is exactly what everyone was saying about Hutch. We all know what happened when he got more starts...his numbers came crashing down.

Reactions: Jedub

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Brossoit has outplayed Helle and deserves to be the #1 goalie until he cools off. Unfortunately politics and stubbornness will prevent that from happening.

He has been sensational. If he played more games he could have potentially won the vezina based on his stats and winning percentage.
Something something small sample size.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Remember yesterday when you tried to claim that you weren't overreacting to small sample sizes, but wanted to patiently wait and see? Remember how I responded that people don't take those claims seriously.

I'm glad you went ahead and exemplified what I was talking about.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan

Perhaps a Vulcan can teach you how to post more objectively, objectiveposter.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Brossoit is on pace to play 22 games...he needs more games so Helle only plays in 55 or so.
That is not a big difference. Currently a 3:1 ratio is a pretty good division of starts. A couple more starts for Brossoit during heavy stretches and you are looking into the ideal 55-60 starts for Helly. The pace of starts for Brossoit is looking pretty tightly managed to me.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think the starter should play 2/3 and the backup 1/3 so about 27 games for the backup. I'd give Helle more time off before the playoffs and the same goes for the rest of the players.
I don't think we rested players near enough just before the playoffs last year. Making the playoffs healthy and as rested as possible is the most important thing.
This team is on a roll. Here are some players and what they are approximately on pace for by the end of the season...

Scheif 114 (MVP nominee?)
Wheeler 109
Laine 72
Buff 70 (Norris nominee?)
KC 70
Ehlers 60
Little 47 (trade him, the bum!)

I think Scheif has a chance to beat Laine in goals to be honest.

Maurice with a .696% since the beginning of last season excluding playoffs.

I can't watch the Kings' game. First one since 2016-2017 I think. Frickin work.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Can I have the lottery numbers for next week too?

You're the one defending the notion that career journeyman and current backup is actually a modern-era record-setting goalie waiting to be unleashed, so you should be telling us.

PS this, by the way, is an example of what I referred to as your earnest belief that Brossoit is a better goalie than Hellebuyck.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Lets hope Helle doesn't get injured.

I am cool with this deal. On a good Oilers team he was lights out. On a mediocre Oilers team he was, mediocre.

Please tell me this is just an AHL signing. If he's here as Helle's backup, yuck.

Not much left for goalies. If Helle gets hurt or has a bad year, the Jets are in serious trouble.

My assessment was spot on. On a good Jets team he has been lights out.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Solid back up? He played 8 games and his mins. played didn't even equal to 6 games played. In total he has played only 28 career NHL games over 4 years.

SOLID BACKUP!

Dubnyk posted respectable numbers in Edmonton, save for one horrendous half season. He obviously improved significantly and benefited from getting out of Edmonton, there's no question.

Point is, I don't see Brossoit as some gem that we've dug up from the Oilers goalie graveyard.

GEM from the Oilers Goalie Graveyard.

We could have had a much better reliable backup goalie, for under $1.5 million/year. Brossiot has a terrible record, is 25, and had only played 28 NHL games, and has an 0.897 save %. Why not just pick up Montoya instead? He was and has always been a reliable backup goalie. Even Hutchinson is far better than this guy. If Hellebuyck gets hurt, the Jets are in big trouble.

Montoya - .879 in the AHL
Brossoit - .930 in the NHL
Hutchinson - .839 in the NHL

Jets are in such big trouble when Brossoit plays!

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
Such a frickin steal and good player. LB continues to wow me. What were they saying during one of the segments tonight about him being the most in shape goalie in the league?

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Brossoit's numbers at 5v5:

SV%: 94.72
xSV: 92.55
GSAA: 5.73

Interestingly, his xSV is significantly better than Hellebuyck's (91.66). I guess that is largely due to playing 'backup games' and small sample size blurring the numbers a bit. Nevertheless, this kind of goaltending from a backup is basically a godsend regardless of the circumstances.

In just ten games, he's saved almost six goals more than an average goalie would have. At this rate, he could be at 10 GSAA by the end of the year. This number was achieved by just three backups last year: Grubauer, Hutton, and Saros. To think that Brossoit would reach a level comparable to those guys is strange to say the least.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think the system where Hellebuyck starts 2-3 games then give Brossoit a turn is working out quite well. I think at some point Brossoit should get back-to-back starts if he's hot, or maybe ride him while he's hot.

Reactions: kylbaz

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
At what point do you look at him as being the starter if he continues his hot play? Assuming the Jets do not have to move him, do you wait a few months? The playoffs? Next year?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
At what point do you look at him as being the starter if he continues his hot play? Assuming the Jets do not have to move him, do you wait a few months? The playoffs? Next year?
As good as Brossoit has been you don't look to replace Helly as a starter unless he really struggles for an extended period. Brossoit's strong play does allow Maurice to play him 25 or so games. Maurice seems to be holding on strong to a 3:1 ratio so maybe he throws in an extra game here and there. The Jets don't have to move him and hold his rights next season as a RFA with arb rights. Most likely scenario is the Jets extend a qualifying offer after the season and then settle on a 1-2 year extension with a fair raise. Brosssoit will need more than a season with strong numbers as a backup before any organization considers paying him as a starter.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca

I'd start giving him more and more starts until he blows it. Strange that I have full confidence in his starts and when Helle starts I wait for him to let in a crap goal.
I personally think Helle needs the competition. Why did he do so well last year? Because he was the backup and had to earn the starter spot. Now he's locked in, his mental game is out the window.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
As good as Brossoit has been you don't look to replace Helly as a starter unless he really struggles for an extended period. Brossoit's strong play does allow Maurice to play him 25 or so games. Maurice seems to be holding on strong to a 3:1 ratio so maybe he throws in an extra game here and there. The Jets don't have to move him and hold his rights next season as a RFA with arb rights. Most likely scenario is the Jets extend a qualifying offer after the season and then settle on a 1-2 year extension with a fair raise. Brosssoit will need more than a season with strong numbers as a backup before any organization considers paying him as a starter.
Of the top save % goalies in the league >15 games played, the median number of games played so far is 22-24.
Of the goalies who have played as many (27) or more games as Helle the median save % is .907
I'd like to see a 2:1 ratio of games rather than 3:1. That would've seen Helle with 55 games over the season, which would have rested him for the PO and given the team more exposure to Broissoit.
This, of course is in retrospect, knowing how each has played, especially Bro.
Going forward, the only two things separating the Jets from a long PO run are injuries and goaltending. One is within our control and the other is not. How would you mitigate the risk within your control?

Last edited:
Reactions: KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Of the top save % goalies in the league >15 games played, the median number of games played so far is 22-24.
I'd like to see a 2:1 ratio of games rather than 3:1. That would've seen Helle with 55 games over the season, which would have rested him for the PO and given the team more exposure to Broissoit.
This, of course is in retrospect, knowing how well he has played.
Going forward, the only two things separating the Jets from a long PO run are injuries and goaltending. One is within our control and the other is not. How would you mitigate the risk within your control?
This seems reasonable. If Helly felt comfortable with that workload it would help keep him rested for the playoffs. If Brossoit could keep up a SV% among the league leaders with 25-27 games that would be very impressive.

Reactions: GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad