Winnipeg rivalries?

Jets101

Jun 26, 2016
As you can see from the diversity from others' responses there aren't any true rivalries yet. However, I feel that within the division the Jets and Blues have had the most intense games/hate each other more than other teams. I have also seen a few Jets/Oiler games get very heated and given that they are both young teams looking to prove themselves in the next couple years, have some young talents that everyone will no doubt compare and given their history plus the heritage classic this year... I feel they will be as a big as rivals as you can find out of division.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Aside from making the 3rd or 4th round of the playoffs the one thing that would create the most passion and intensity would be a playoff series vs the Oilers.

If we beat them in a series you would see grown men weeping tears of joy exercising lifelong demons of playoff series ghosts.

Yep, that would be me crying unashamed tears of joy. I don't know if that would foster a big rivalry but beating them in the playoffs would be unspeakably joyful.

I saw a good tweet back in April 2015: "If you told an Oiler fan in 2004 that the Jets would return and make the playoffs before the Oil got back in the playoffs would you believe him?"

Good times.

m.

TMussolani

Jul 25, 2011
Winnipeg
Given the geographic separation of the city from most markets, I don't think you're going to see a fan rivalry like you see when fans live a few hours from their opponent's arena.

But, if you recall the old Detroit-Colorado rivalries, it demonstrated that if you have an agitator like Claude Lemieux on your team,on a GOOD team, you can hate ANY city.

We don't have any prospects 'like' Claude Lemieux coming through our system do we? Oh wait..

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Based on the huge mix of answers in this thread, it's obvious that we don't have any real rivalries yet...
That's my point of view.

When you have the Bombers and Riders (spit!), anything else will pale in comparison.
Too bad the NHL disallowed the move of the Blues to Sask. That would be a rivalry. Those inbred, moonshine drinking, illiterate, banjo loving, outhouse dwellers would prompt some true rivalriness.

NBjet

May 24, 2014
Rivalries are best at the top of the food chain... If we can become a true contender in the next year or two, which I think we can, whoever is a consistent challenger will likely become our main rivals. I hope that a few of the young up and comer teams will keep pace, i.e.: TO, or the Oil. It could be fun! A lot of the Western teams, as good as they are, seem a little past their best before dates to me...

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
As others have mentioned our true rivalries will come with more playoffs. When the Jets make their first deep run in the playoffs we will likely be somewhat the “darlings†of Canada and in NHL cities in the US they will be fine with us winning as we are a nice story for the NHL and will be playing some other teams rivals (evidence of this came in the Anaheim series as most Kings/Sharks fans where cheering for the Jets). However after that if we continue to have some success in the playoffs our “whiteout†will very quickly make our fan base one of the most envied and thereby hated teams in NHL.

When we went to the playoff games in Anaheim most of their fans were happy to see us and had lots of fun with us. That will forever change when we meet again and beat them.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
And I went to Westwood decades ago. The legendary Dave Guss was my gym teacher. Westwood and JT may have had a rivalry then, but I think we were both in agreement that Sturgeon Creek was scum. :laugh:

& he coached Joey Vickery. If 1986 was 2016, Joey would have been drafted by the NBA.

Best pure shooter I've ever seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad