Winnipeg rivalries?

JJ McCubbin

Apr 15, 2014
Washington because of those two horrible back to back home losses that sent the Jets in a tailspin.
We play a back to back against Washington this year.
Revenge.

Bleh! I got home from a few days away and watched both of those Caps games back to back. 5ish hours horribly spent.

I don't think the Jets have any particularly big rivalries. If the Jets had faced the Blues instead of the Ducks in the playoffs that could have become a heated rivalry. The animosity was building up quite a lot towards the end of the season and 6 or 7 bruising playoff games would have kicked it up a few notches.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Said before, will say it again - if we had won that home-home back-to-back, we probably would have a SouthEast Division Champions banner hanging at MTS Centre. Instead, the Caps went on a massive last-season tear and eliminated us. They didn't just beat us, it was a slaughter! :shakehead

Washington because of those two horrible back to back home losses that sent the Jets in a tailspin.
We play a back to back against Washington this year.
Revenge.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Based on the huge mix of answers in this thread, it's obvious that we don't have any real rivalries yet...

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Would of been St. Louis had we met them in the playoffs. So much potential to have been a great series to remember.

Other than that, there is no true rivalry.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That Toronto / Winnipeg rivalry doesn't end there:

Trouba / Reilly
Ehlers / Nylander
Laine / Matthews

It seems every second draft brings about a debate between the fans of the two clubs.

m.

Oh yeah virtually every draft has that debate lately between our fanbases. It's making for a pretty intense rivalry that could heat up if we are ever able to meet in the playoffs. It's likely more intense on HF than anywhere else right now though.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Oh yeah virtually every draft has that debate lately between our fanbases. It's making for a pretty intense rivalry that could heat up if we are ever able to meet in the playoffs. It's likely more intense on HF than anywhere else right now though.

Well that would be the Stanley Cup Final, so I'm very ok with that scenario/rivalry!!! :handclap:

2019 or 2020?

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Evander Kane vs the rest of the team :sarcasm:

Oppps.... did I write that... sorry..... I had my headphones on! :laugh:

Whoa

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
Said before, will say it again - if we had won that home-home back-to-back, we probably would have a SouthEast Division Champions banner hanging at MTS Centre. Instead, the Caps went on a massive last-season tear and eliminated us. They didn't just beat us, it was a slaughter! :shakehead

I remember this. I wanted that SE Division Champions banner hanging up just as much as I wanted us in the playoffs.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
How can a team with one playoff appearance have any rivalries?

We have none yet.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Aside from making the 3rd or 4th round of the playoffs the one thing that would create the most passion and intensity would be a playoff series vs the Oilers.

If we beat them in a series you would see grown men weeping tears of joy exercising lifelong demons of playoff series ghosts.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
I hate lots of teams but I don't feel like the Jets have any real rivalries yet. Certainly nothing like Calgary and Edmonton in 1.0. I'm not sure we ever will actually, being in a division with distant American fans who have little knowledge of us. Minnesota looks to Chicago and St. Louis, because of geography and competition in other sports.

I doubt we will ever be a real hated rival to them. There will be short lived rivalries when we are good and battling other good teams in a few playoff runs, but I will be surprised if they will supersede those moments with any American teams.

Real rivalries remain even when both teams are bad.

I have always maintained that if we were in a division with other prairie teams we would have more true rivalries, with traveling fans and equal hatred and passion for hockey, on both sides. As long as our divisional competitors are in large American cities with fans that have little in common with us or knowledge of Winnipeg and where hockey is not number one, I doubt true rivalries will grow.

Last edited:

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
When you have the Bombers and Riders (spit!), anything else will pale in comparison.

Your kidding right ? The oilers flames canuck rivalries were way more intense.

It really to bad we are in a division with none of our traditional rivals.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
100 plus year rivalry versus ones that developed in the 80s and no longer exist. Yeah okay sure

100 plus year rivalry lol OK. If you think the riders are hated you must have missed Gretzky's Oilers.

Those 80's rivalry's will always be unmatched as long as we are in a division with all american cities. We will never be rivals with Minny,Dallas,St Louis Chicago oh maybe for Winnipeg Jet fans but never real rivals.

Those EDM,CGY,VAN were also fostered over the decades in the CFL also. It's really too bad we got jerked around the divisions, we are and always have been a Western team.

burnoutberry

May 2, 2016
True North
I'd say St. Louis, Chicago, Anaheim, Minnesota, Predators, in that order. Given the current scheduling format it has to be division based since those divisional games hold so much weight(theoretical 4pt games).
I wonder how the dynamic between St Louis and the Jets will change since we've both dealt away our captains.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I've felt our biggest "rival" style games were within our own division (go figure), more so since we re-aligned into the Central...always felt our games vs the Blues were the closest thing to that, but so were vs Ducks, Hawks, Wild, Preds

I also think we have a healthy rivalry with the Leafs, for various reasons beyond them seemingly being the one lone NHL club that brings the most disdain amongst Jets fans by and large...they are also one of the hockey clubs we have the best W-L records against in the NHL in 2.0 era so that is great for us too :D

No true rivalries just yet, though at times its felt the greatest within our own division

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
That Toronto / Winnipeg rivalry doesn't end there:

Trouba / Reilly
Ehlers / Nylander
Laine / Matthews

It seems every second draft brings about a debate between the fans of the two clubs.

m.

They like to compare Connor to Marner too. Heh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad