Winnipeg rivalries?

MrSnrub

May 23, 2010
Some place far away

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I'll say STL, CHI and ANA... I honestly don't see the Minny rivalry. This team needs some more playoff action before true rivalries are formed.

Thorburnt

Jul 16, 2015
MTS Centre
I wouldve said St. Louis, but that felt more like Ladd vs. Backes as opposed to Winnipeg vs. St. Louis. Instead I'll say Chicago

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
Minnesota for sure and the Blues, some of the best games I have seen the Jets play since relocating are games against the Blue, we always play them tough.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota for sure and the Blues, some of the best games I have seen the Jets play since relocating are games against the Blue, we always play them tough.

I'll give a nod to the Blues too. I remember after one game the Blues commentator saying something along the lines of "can you imagine these two teams after a seven game series? There's be nothing left for the next round".

m.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I agree with St. Louis. Those games tend to get pretty heated. We might have a rivalry with Anaheim, but I don't really think they have one with us... if that makes sense.

As I fan, I have a rivalry with Calgary, but that's just me. :laugh:

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Anaheim and St.Louis. I honestly dont get the minny one

Go to Minny for a game and you will see why :laugh: ...........Fun atmosphere.....

It is all about geography and it is mostly between the fans not so much the teams....

But most rivalries are a bigger deal for the fans then the players anyways TBH

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
With the Finnish connection, Laine vs McDavid, Winnipeg vs Edmonton has the makings to be a great rivalry over the next decade.

Last edited:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
How funny would it be if Laine and McDavid are the new Crosby/Ovechkin. Plus it'd look awesome because it's Canadian City versus Canadian City at the peak of when both teams are super competitive.

boanst

May 25, 2013
I would argue that the Jets and Lightning still have a rivalry from the days of the Southeast division.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Anaheim is public enemy #1 for me. I'd love nothing more than to be able to sweep them in a PO series. Nextsis Arizona, we always seem to get in battles with them... don't even get me started on Doan.
We have a fun rivalry with Minnesota, mostly because of proximity. St. Louis is always a trench battle aswell. We have been developing an HF rivalry with Toronto, which could spill over into real life with a Matthews/Laine rivalry. We also have an age old rivalry with Edmonton that could rekindle with the Laine/Pulju picks.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I think we need some more playoff series, some hard fought 6 or 7 game series with the same team a couple years in a row, to develop a real rivalry. Things do seem to get nasty with St. Louis but I don't feel a true rivalry with any team yet.

For an example of a good rivalry from my own perspective/experience, during my years as a Leafs fan when Winnipeg had no team, I remember the Ottawa/Toronto "Battle of Ontario" was a great rivalry, due mostly to those first round playoff losses the Leafs handed Ottawa several seasons. That was a good rivalry but has fizzled out same as how Toronto/Montreal hasn't been a real rivalry for years since both teams haven't been competitive at the same time for a long time.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
{snip}

We have been developing an HF rivalry with Toronto, which could spill over into real life with a Matthews/Laine rivalry.

{more snip}

That Toronto / Winnipeg rivalry doesn't end there:

Trouba / Reilly
Ehlers / Nylander
Laine / Matthews

It seems every second draft brings about a debate between the fans of the two clubs.

m.

Wedgeden

Mar 31, 2012
Washington because of those two horrible back to back home losses that sent the Jets in a tailspin.
We play a back to back against Washington this year.
Revenge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad