Winnipeg media == Shills for TNSE?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I think one of the most disgusting things that has really come to surface during this season in general and the last few days in particular is how much the Winnipeg media is in the pockets of TNSE. It just sickens me to see to such blatant and cynical shillage going on with very few people even raising an eyebrow. The Winnipeg media seems to drink TNSE's bath water. Have you heard any of the big guys in the media criticize the management? I look at how confrontational the media is in Montreal or NY and and am totally ashamed of the complete sellouts we have in Winnipeg. I feel like I am realizing how it must have been to live in the Soviet Union and watch the state controlled media spew out propaganda and bow down to their overlords. I find it insulting to the intelligence of the fan base that they do stuff like have a long interview with the GM and not even touch on burning topic of the day. It's like these guys are pi$$ing on us and then telling us it's raining. There are certain folks associated with the team for whom the media will go any length to defend. It's clear that the media has a directive from TNSE to be Pavelec apologists and prop him up. I mean has anyone here ever heard Beyak say even one negative word about Pavelec? And there are other guys on the team whom the media openly attacks (Buff, Kane, Burmi, Seto), these guys are not in the long term plans of TNSE so presumably they've given the media an open licence to criticize them as they might. If you notice the media always defended Noel until like around 4 days before his dismissal when he suddenly became the devil.

I am disgusted and grossed out by their behavior.

dpenner

Jun 27, 2011
a lot of these guys' livelihoods revolve around covering the jets, im not surprised that they aren't so critical, not that they would lose their media privileges or anything, but looking at beyak, would his potential critiques possible land him without a contract renewal?

.....keep in mind whenever reporters are critical (im thinking general coverage of the bombers the last few seasons) many people get bent out of shape about it

just my 2 cents, not saying its the right thing to do or anything...

buyinnow

Mar 7, 2010
I think one of the most disgusting things that has really come to surface during this season in general and the last few days in particular is how much the Winnipeg media is in the pockets of TNSE. It just sickens me to see to such blatant and cynical shillage going on with very few people even raising an eyebrow. The Winnipeg media seems to drink TNSE's bath water. Have you heard any of the big guys in the media criticize the management? I look at how confrontational the media is in Montreal or NY and and am totally ashamed of the complete sellouts we have in Winnipeg. I feel like I am realizing how it must have been to live in the Soviet Union and watch the state controlled media spew out propaganda and bow down to their overlords. I find it insulting to the intelligence of the fan base that they do stuff like have a long interview with the GM and not even touch on burning topic of the day. It's like these guys are pi$$ing on us and then telling us it's raining. There are certain folks associated with the team for whom the media will go any length to defend. It's clear that the media has a directive from TNSE to be Pavelec apologists and prop him up. I mean has anyone here ever heard Beyak say even one negative word about Pavelec? And there are other guys on the team whom the media openly attacks (Buff, Kane, Burmi, Seto), these guys are not in the long term plans of TNSE so presumably they've given the media an open licence to criticize them as they might. If you notice the media always defended Noel until like around 4 days before his dismissal when he suddenly became the devil.

I am disgusted and grossed out by their behavior.

hopefully you have the strength to carry on.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
a lot of these guys' livelihoods revolve around covering the jets, im not surprised that they aren't so critical, not that they would lose their media privileges or anything, but looking at beyak, would his potential critiques possible land him without a contract renewal?

.....keep in mind whenever reporters are critical (im thinking general coverage of the bombers the last few seasons) many people get bent out of shape about it

just my 2 cents, not saying its the right thing to do or anything...

The funniest thing I heard from Beyak today was him explaining how even the elite goalies in the NHL let in soft goals with all the deflections and traffic going to the net. :shakehead Pavelec doesn't even require traffic going to the net to let in soft goals.

The msm in this city does really lack in doing any real questioning of TNSE. Too bad some bloggers/non msm weren't able to obtain media credentials and ask some hard $$$ questions.

Media from other markets are certainly aware the Jets have the worst starter in the league.

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Remember how ******* crazy the media went when Pavelec was not listed on the Top 25 goaltender list by The Hockey News?

Last edited by a moderator:

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Sometimes you have to get away from the mainstream to get the good stuff. Not just in media, but just about everything.

If you're serious about hating the Jets MSM, spend your time listening to and supporting other websites / blogs / podcasts. Spread the word. This is how things change. Otherwise, we have no right to complain about what we got - although I understand why we do :P.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I normally stay tuned in to 1290 at work, but I couldn't handle it today.

I've come to expect schlocky analysis from them, and I just grumble about it (or whine about it here, haha). It's been at a whole new level this week. Completely divorced from reality, and borderline TNSE propaganda at times. Did I hear that wrong, or did Lawless say something to the effect that "Chevy is someone who will never be fired"?

Really don't have any intention of listening to 1290 any longer.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect

Michael Crichton said:
Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray's case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the "wet streets cause rain" stories. Paper's full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.

The guy who wrote Jurassic Park makes a pretty good point here...just replace "national or international affairs" with "sports"...

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
This season? It's been pretty clear since the Jets set up shop that the media was generally giving them a lot of leeway for every move they make. I thought sports fans generally liked it that way? True North! and all of that.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

I've come to expect schlocky analysis from them, and I just grumble about it (or whine about it here, haha). It's been at a whole new level this week. Completely divorced from reality, and borderline TNSE propaganda at times. Did I hear that wrong, or did Lawless say something to the effect that "Chevy is someone who will never be fired"?

Same here. If they are talking Jets I generally flip the station or turn the radio off when I'm in the car. There is no analysis, nothing involving critical thought anyways. There's no one on there who breaks it down X and O wise, no one on there who will actually try to analyze the game using contextual stats, other than Scott Cullen who I've heard on there a couple times in the last month.

The only hockey talk I can stand on 1290 is Illegal Curve. Otherwise the analysis is too Shakespearean for me.

Derfel*

[mod]

Winnipeg media is no different than any other Canadian market from what I've seen in the past three years, except maybe the first 6 months after the Jets returned.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I look at how confrontational the media is in Montreal or NY and and am totally ashamed of the complete sellouts we have in Winnipeg. I feel like I am realizing how it must have been to live in the Soviet Union and watch the state controlled media spew out propaganda and bow down to their overlords. I find it insulting to the intelligence of the fan base that they do stuff like have a long interview with the GM and not even touch on burning topic of the day. It's like these guys are pi$$ing on us and then telling us it's raining. There are certain folks associated with the team for whom the media will go any length to defend. It's clear that the media has a directive from TNSE to be Pavelec apologists and prop him up...I am disgusted and grossed out by their behavior.
Other than the proletarian revolt happening on these boards, and the Siberian weather, what exactly reminds you of the USSR?
H&L don't sound too oppressed to me.:sarcasm:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

I've gone back to rock & roll after 1290 became impossible to listen to especially the morning show, Pavs numbers are #45 for goals against and #45 SV% and the morons at 1290 still think he is a bona fide #1, yeah Ralph us minions on the interweb really fail to understand the nuances of the game!:shakehead

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
[mod]
Winnipeg media is no different than any other Canadian market from what I've seen in the past three years, except maybe the first 6 months after the Jets returned.

This is falser than your Pavelec claims. Period.

dobiezeke*

This is falser than your Pavelec claims. Period.

Nope...you need to listen to Edmonton or Calgary media as an example to see exactly the same "tow the line" media coverage.

Try watching American coverage of the NHL if you believe Winnipeg is an anomaly in the lovefest for the home team.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Nope...you need to listen to Edmonton or Calgary media as an example to see exactly the same "tow the line" media coverage.

Try watching American coverage of the NHL if you believe Winnipeg is an anomaly in the lovefest for the home team.

See: Toronto or Montreal.
Which I believe are Canadian cities.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I interact a lot with the media and can say that I'm "the other guy".

I think many of them are "homers" not because they are in TNSE pockets, but because they are homers.

I've noticed quite a few are also open to learn to look at things from different angles:

Westwood tends to be fixed in his opinions, whether they are homer or not. He is open to numbers, especially if they validate his opinion.

Mitch Peacock has asked me to send him stuff on analytics and is trying to learn. It should also be noted that he was quick to forgive when I was actually an ass when we first argued over twitter.

Ed Tait followed me quite early but never really has discussed much with me. I do know he talks to Truck though quite a bit.

Hustler and Lawless we know have had me on their show before, and are hoping to keep me as a semi-regular guest. Lawless doesn't always agree with the alternative view but he understands that an alternative voice makes for a better show and covers more niches.

Patrick Williams is a guy I love talking hockey with. He is most likely the least homer Jets media member out there. He respects numbers even if he doesn't always agree but if he believes the numbers to be powerful enough argument he is also open to being persuaded.

Bauming is a champ. I can be a dick and for no reason other than being a good person will help me argue with media members without being as "brash".

Mellisa Martin has long been friends with AIH and even looks over this board to get more thoughts.

RR and Waz are tougher cookies to read. RR will say something that makes his opinion seem one way, but then will usually say in jest if you question him on it (like recent AIH comment).

Billeck likes to play devils advocate with numbers but seems nice.

Wiebe used to talk to me all the time but that has dried up.

Toth... Well he says he doesn't dislike numbers, but I have yet to see him agree with them or think twice. I don't expect or want anyone to think from the numbers... However, I do think they are a tool that should be used. When your opinion conflicts you should think "why that is" rather than just dismiss (either) as wrong.

That's most of the guys I interact with in media.
Thought I'd add my experiences since I interact with these guys a lot. I know the discussion is more about looking at another perspective beyond the homer look, but this is the perspective I present to these guys so it's only one I can really speak well about.

I haven't quite discovered a Winnipeg Cox or Simmons yet....

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Bauming is a champ. I can be a dick and for no reason other than being a good person will help me argue with media members without being as "brash".

Mellisa Martin has long been friends with AIH and even looks over this board to get more thoughts.

Agreed. Both of them are very very good.

To be completely honest, I have given Lawless a really hard time in past, but he IS getting better. Still says a lot of crap, but don't we all. It seems to me he is SLOWLY learning to get better. Probably my #1 issue with him (particularly early on, as I said it's improving) was his complete lack of knowledge of how the NHL works and the Jets organization. He seems to be getting better at understanding the business of hockey, and seems to be somewhat better research into the Jets system. So long as he doesn't go all bullheaded on trying to run off some of the team for no reason and keeps expanding his knowledge of the team I might be willing to let him off the hook somewhat. But yes as Hank pointed out he still does get in on the "it's a family, everyone stick together forever and it'll just magically work out" sometimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad