Winnipeg Jets: YOU’RE the GM! GO!

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Ladd - Little - Byfuglien
Perreault - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Lowry - Burmistrov
Stempniak - Copp - Throburn

Two black aces... Peluso, Halischuk, whomever...

Enstrom - Meyers
Chiarot - Trouba
Stuart - Postma

Harrison, or if healthy, Clitsome

Hutchinson
Pavelec

Buff is a better D-man then a Forward. Undeniably. However, since I'm likely overpaying for for a long time to secure Buff as an asset, I will do everything in my power to prevent him from breaking down early as most bigs do. Thus, I manage his minutes by putting him on the wing. Hopefully, minimal pouting and locker-room melting disdain ensues.

Likely not the best solution. But that's why they don't pay me big money to sit in the press box.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Ladd .....Little.....Wheeler
Perrault .... Schiefele ....Stafford
Burmi.....Lowery.... ehlers
Stepmniuk ....Copp.... Thorburn
Peluso

Enstrom..... Myers.
Chairot..... Trouba
Stuart....... Postma
Pardy....... Harrison
( Clitsome on IR)

Pavlec/ Hutch

edit..... Ehlers replaces wheeler on top line by xmas,Wheeker returns to 2nd line and Stafford to the 3rd line
1). Trade Buff and a small + for Columbus 2016 1 st and Bjorklund...... Bjorklund being familiar with Ehlers and the Portland boys Pétan and De Leo. We are not getting their 8 th OA in 2015 and the 2016 gives risk an reward for both clubs as it could be a later pick or a lottery pick Especially with the new lottery format with the first 3 picks up for grabs.
2). Sign Stafford to a 3 yr 4 mill deal
3) sign Postma to a 2 yr . 900- 1 mill deal
4) sign Chairot to a 2 yr ,850 k deal .( Very important it's a 2 yr deal as a 1 yr gives a possibility he may not get to 80 NHL games total due to a injury this year and become a UFA
5) sign Pardy to a 1 or 2year 1 mill per deal. More dangles please.
6) fully expect Morrisey to start with Manitoba this year but will push his way onto the team by the end of the year facilitating a trade
7) sign Ellerby to a 1 yr 2 way deal that pays 250k in the AHL
8) trade Harrison back to Carolina for a 7 th ( we paid a 6 th) or keep him around as a 8 th D waiver fodder
*** lots of D man depth needed .... As we saw last year
9) after July. 1 st and B 4 the season starts extend Shiefele to a bridge deal of 2.5 x 2 yrs or 3 mill x 3 yrs.
10) b4 season starts extend Ladd to a 5 yr 5.8 mill deal similar to Clbs Callahan deal
11) b4 season starts sign Trouba to a 7-8 yr deal. Got to be pro active as he is just going to more expensive next year after his ELC is done ( see Boston/ Hamilton)
12) draft.... Meeir , Konercy White Merkly with 17 th pick and 1 more of the above at 25 th or Boesner or a highly regarded D prospect.
13) 2 nd round grab a d prospect if we did not get a D man in the 1 st round( I like Pilon here). Or a Bracco from the USA NTDP ( another Pétan like steal in the middle of the 2 nd round.
14) I would prefer to dump Pavlec but ownership won't let me. Hope Hellybuck stands on his head in pre- season and Ahl and forces his way onto the scene.
15) fully expect to make a trade from our surplus on D when Morrissey pushes for ice time.
16) on July 1 st I sign O Dell to a 250 k AHL 2 way deal and another Ahl vet fwrd to a similiar deal. I would say Hallischuk as he sign a similiar deal with the Jets the last 2 years but I am afraid Maurice will keep him up with the big club coming out of TC again.
17) get a new larger fridge for my GM office kick back put me feet up on my desk,have a beer and marval at the thought I get paid millions to play fantasy GM in real life instead of on Hfboards.

Last edited:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Ladd .....Little.....Wheeler
Perrault .... Schiefele ....Stafford
Burmi.....Lowery.... ehlers
Stepmniuk ....Copp.... Thorburn
Peluso

Enstrom..... Myers.
Chairot..... Trouba
Stuart....... Postma
Pardy....... Harrison
( Clitsome on IR)

Pavlec/ Hutch

edit..... Ehlers replaces wheeler on top line by xmas,Wheeker returns to 2nd line and Stafford to the 3rd line
1). Trade Buff and a small + for Columbus 2016 1 st and Bjorklund...... Bjorklund being familiar with Ehlers and the Portland boys Pétan and De Leo. We are not getting their 8 th OA in 2015 and the 2016 gives risk an reward for both clubs as it could be a later pick or a lottery pick Especially with the new lottery format with the first 3 picks up for grabs.
2). Sign Stafford to a 3 yr 4 mill deal
3) sign Postma to a 2 yr . 900- 1 mill deal
4) sign Chairot to a 2 yr ,850 k deal .( Very important it's a 2 yr deal as a 1 yr gives a possibility he may not get to 80 NHL games total due to a injury this year and become a UFA
5) sign Pardy to a 1 or 2year 1 mill per deal. More dangles please.
6) fully expect Morrisey to start with Manitoba this year but will push his way onto the team by the end of the year facilitating a trade
7) sign Ellerby to a 1 yr 2 way deal that pays 250k in the AHL
8) trade Harrison back to Carolina for a 7 th ( we paid a 6 th) or keep him around as a 8 th D waiver fodder
*** lots of D man depth needed .... As we saw last year
9) after July. 1 st and B 4 the season starts extend Shiefele to a bridge deal of 2.5 x 2 yrs or 3 mill x 3 yrs.
10) b4 season starts extend Ladd to a 5 yr 5.8 mill deal similar to Clbs Callahan deal
11) b4 season starts sign Trouba to a 7-8 yr deal. Got to be pro active as he is just going to more expensive next year after his ELC is done ( see Boston/ Hamilton)
12) draft.... Meeir , Konercy White Merkly with 17 th pick and 1 more of the above at 25 th or Boesner or a highly regarded D prospect.
13) 2 nd round grab a d prospect if we did not get a D man in the 1 st round( I like Pilon here). Or a Bracco from the USA NTDP ( another Pétan like steal in the middle of the 2 nd round.
14) I would prefer to dump Pavlec but ownership won't let me. Hope Hellybuck stands on his head in pre- season and Ahl and forces his way onto the scene.
15) fully expect to make a trade from our surplus on D when Morrissey pushes for ice time.
16) on July 1 st I sign O Dell to a 250 k AHL 2 way deal and another Ahl vet fwrd to a similiar deal. I would say Hallischuk as he sign a similiar deal with the Jets the last 2 years but I am afraid Maurice will keep him up with the big club coming out of TC again.
17) get a new larger fridge for my GM office kick back put me feet up on my desk,have a beer and marval at the thought I get paid millions to play fantasy GM in real life instead of on Hfboards.

I mostly like this.

Not so sure about Bjorkland though - he's listed at 5'9" - O'Dell, De Leo not that big, don't know that we need another smallish forward in the stable.

Would hope Ehlers can move up to 2nd, pushing Stafford down to 3rd where possession twins can cover his flaws.

Like that you put Clitsome as IR - I hope he comes back and always thought of him as the stop-gap until Morrissey is ready, but two back surgeries for the same injury is not good, not good at all. I fear he's done. I think Chiarot is now the stop gap and may be the guy to push Stu out of the organization. Also really like your signing/extending of Chiarot to prevent the same thing we saw with Redmond and will see with O'Dell now - I think O'Dell is signed by another team as UFA, not us.

How is Scheifele going to take being extended for only a couple of years versus Trouba's max extension? I don't disagree with you on the max for Trouba entirely, though his neck injury still worries me a bit. With that in mind I might extend both for same 2-3 year period - allows me to watch Trouba's health, creates parity and sets example for both of the 1st round picks and then allows me to buy more UFA years on the next contract albeit at a higher price. But it also allows me to send message that by only extending two years I want both guys in the organization for a very long time: 2 year extension + 7 year max contract buying 2 RFA and 5 UFA years. I can then show that process to all my first round guys showing them the stability and money they can earn.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I mostly like this.

Not so sure about Bjorkland though - he's listed at 5'9" - O'Dell, De Leo not that big, don't know that we need another smallish forward in the stable.

Would hope Ehlers can move up to 2nd, pushing Stafford down to 3rd where possession twins can cover his flaws.

Like that you put Clitsome as IR - I hope he comes back and always thought of him as the stop-gap until Morrissey is ready, but two back surgeries for the same injury is not good, not good at all. I fear he's done. I think Chiarot is now the stop gap and may be the guy to push Stu out of the organization. Also really like your signing/extending of Chiarot to prevent the same thing we saw with Redmond and will see with O'Dell now - I think O'Dell is signed by another team as UFA, not us.

How is Scheifele going to take being extended for only a couple of years versus Trouba's max extension? I don't disagree with you on the max for Trouba entirely, though his neck injury still worries me a bit. With that in mind I might extend both for same 2-3 year period - allows me to watch Trouba's health, creates parity and sets example for both of the 1st round picks and then allows me to buy more UFA years on the next contract albeit at a higher price. But it also allows me to send message that by only extending two years I want both guys in the organization for a very long time: 2 year extension + 7 year max contract buying 2 RFA and 5 UFA years. I can then show that process to all my first round guys showing them the stability and money they can earn.

Schiefele gets a 3 year extension similar to Palat/Johnson from Tampa last year. Trouba gets paid a max deal as it will be worth it in the long run and ultimately cheaper for the Organization. See Subann/montreal and Webber as bad planning and Pietranglo/StL and Roman Josi/Nash as good planning on a 1/2 franchise D-man.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Oliver Bjorkstrand is 6'0. He is rather skinny though.

(you guys are really butchering his name) :laugh:

Well, yes and no. I only missed Bjorklund by one letter who is or at least was both a Columbus prospect and stands 5'9" so I'm a little less guilty. But I remain unconvinced I want either Bjorklund or Bjorkstrand from Columbus. Let's ask for Milano and the 2016 1st instead.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not sure production from Buff was the point. We were very difficult to play against and seem to go on a winning streak(someone could look up that stat pls). We were very defensive and successful to my memory(and he did get his minutes playing also in other capacities at that time).

I haven't heard much about trading Ladd at this time so I guess he better sign before the season starts or our best option is to move him??

The 2( Buff and Ladd) would return a boatload of value, but unless they return quality NHLers are we willing to take that giant step backwards?

Bottom line I think I'd rather be a great team with them and tank at the end of the year by trading them. We'll only get futures at that time but both will return 1sts and a good propect.

It just doesn't matter how good an argument you make for trading them at the deadline. It won't happen therefore your argument is moot. If Chevy was so inclined he could have/would have traded Frolik at the TD this year. Judging by what others brought at the deadline this year he would have brought a 1st and a 3rd. It didn't happen. Ladd and Buff are not going to be traded at the TD next year either. Almost zero chance. Therefore they should either be extended this off-season or traded this off-season.

Buff was not only not scoring much at RW but his line wasn't very productive either. But again it is moot. Buff was promised defense by Maurice. With that promise in hand he filled in at F quite well for a couple of games on an emergency basis but that is it. Play him at F and he will not sign here.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well, yes and no. I only missed Bjorklund by one letter who is or at least was both a Columbus prospect and stands 5'9" so I'm a little less guilty. But I remain unconvinced I want either Bjorklund or Bjorkstrand from Columbus. Let's ask for Milano and the 2016 1st instead.

Need a h*** of a lot more than that for Buff. Columbus has a good team that is getting better. They only missed the POs this year because of a horrendous injury bug. Their '16 1st is liable to be around 18th-20th. Bjorkstrand is not a strong enough prospect to make up the value.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Need a h*** of a lot more than that for Buff. Columbus has a good team that is getting better. They only missed the POs this year because of a horrendous injury bug. Their '16 1st is liable to be around 18th-20th. Bjorkstrand is not a strong enough prospect to make up the value.

I think the value is fair..... Based on the Yandle trade at the deadline. Arizona got Duclair and a 2016 1 st from NYR ...... They also got a late 2015 2 nd, but they also got Yandle for two playoff pushes. I also think if you polled Columbus fans they would not want to include Bjorkstrand as they think as highly of him as we do of Pétan.

Also as I said in my GM lineup the 2016 pick for Columbus will be 60 % playoff pick and 40% non playoff lottery pick. Risk and reward for both teams.

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
It just doesn't matter how good an argument you make for trading them at the deadline. It won't happen therefore your argument is moot. If Chevy was so inclined he could have/would have traded Frolik at the TD this year. Judging by what others brought at the deadline this year he would have brought a 1st and a 3rd. It didn't happen. Ladd and Buff are not going to be traded at the TD next year either. Almost zero chance. Therefore they should either be extended this off-season or traded this off-season.

Buff was not only not scoring much at RW but his line wasn't very productive either. But again it is moot. Buff was promised defense by Maurice. With that promise in hand he filled in at F quite well for a couple of games on an emergency basis but that is it. Play him at F and he will not sign here.

I accept that but am curious, are you sure his mindset in these matters won't change. We've made the playoffs, what's next only Chevy knows. Never say never as we could regress badly this year and be happy to move one or both. If we move them now why would we get back superior players from contending teams...we would get prospects picks or players of great potential. If they won't sign and want to test free agency then the TD becomes a viable option. This is meant as a point of view not condemnation of your thoughts.

Personally I didn't realize PM promised any player anything, he shouldn't have done that. Play him where he's needed or don't resign him.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I accept that but am curious, are you sure his mindset in these matters won't change. We've made the playoffs, what's next only Chevy knows. Never say never as we could regress badly this year and be happy to move one or both. If we move them now why would we get back superior players from contending teams...we would get prospects picks or players of great potential. If they won't sign and want to test free agency then the TD becomes a viable option. This is meant as a point of view not condemnation of your thoughts.

Personally I didn't realize PM promised any player anything, he shouldn't have done that. Play him where he's needed or don't resign him.

Way too much risk not to re-sign or trade in the off season. You re-sign to secure your own roster or you trade as this is when other teams are building their rosters for next seasons. Once the season starts it is much harder to move players as teams have locked up their cap money for the most part, so you would need to take back approx equivalent salary back. As you approach the TD you can't start selling top players if you are in contention for a playoff spot. It undermines the team's trust in the organization, almost the exact opposite with what True North is trying to establish in Winnipeg. Chevy needs to act decisively this off season. There really are no other options.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Way too much risk not to re-sign or trade in the off season. You re-sign to secure your own roster or you trade as this is when other teams are building their rosters for next seasons. Once the season starts it is much harder to move players as teams have locked up their cap money for the most part, so you would need to take back approx equivalent salary back. As you approach the TD you can't start selling top players if you are in contention for a playoff spot. It undermines the team's trust in the organization, almost the exact opposite with what True North is trying to establish in Winnipeg. Chevy needs to act decisively this off season. There really are no other options.

Agreed

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the value is fair..... Based on the Yandle trade at the deadline. Arizona got Duclair and a 2016 1 st from NYR ...... They also got a late 2015 2 nd, but they also got Yandle for two playoff pushes. I also think if you polled Columbus fans they would not want to include Bjorkstrand as they think as highly of him as we do of Pétan.

Also as I said in my GM lineup the 2016 pick for Columbus will be 60 % playoff pick and 40% non playoff lottery pick. Risk and reward for both teams.

I rate CBJ chances a little better than that but I won't quibble. A 16 1st is worth less than similar 15 1st because 15 is an exceptional draft. It is also worth less simply by being delayed a year. A 1st and a prospect is not enough for Buff. It addresses none of our problems.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I didn't personally hear the promise made but IIRC the indications at the time were pretty clear. It should be noted that Buff played where he was told. No visible pouting. The scenario of trading regular players when we are in a PO race at the TD has been discussed here to death. Whether it makes sense or not it is extremely unlikely.

jetman

May 21, 2015
My go at this:

Forwards:
- Frolik doesn't sign here. (If he does replace with Stafford)
- Re-sign Stafford. I'd go 1 year for 5 mil. But only 4 mil if we sign him for longer than 1 year.
- Sign Burmistrov. I like a 2 year deal for fairly cheap.. (1.5mil - 2mil)
- Re-sign Stempniak. Again I like a 2 year deal, does 2mil sound right?

Defense:
- If any of Stafford, Burmi or Stemp doesn't work out. Trade Stuart to Detroit for Jurco. Otherwise trade for picks(to the team who offers the best.)
- Pardy walks.
- Re-sign Chiarot. 1 or 2 years for around 1 mil.
- Re-sign Postma. Around the same.
- Re-sign Ellerby to a two way deal
- Extend Byfuglien. I like 5 years for 7 if that's possible. Move him to the left side.

Goaltending:
-Budaj walks.

Roster:

Ladd -- Little -- Wheeler
Perreault -- Scheifele -- Stafford
Burmistrov -- Lowry -- Ehlers
Thorburn -- Copp -- Stempniak

Peluso + Moose.

Enstrom -- Trouba
Byfuglien -- Myers
Chiarot -- Postma

Clitsome, Harrison + Moose.

Pavs
Hutch

Does Hellebuyck need to go through waivers? If not I wouldn't mind him getting to start a few games early in the season.

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
Wracked (wrecked?) my brain. Looked at other teams needs and what they might want to achieve. But here goes.

Columbus as a draft trade partner. Key tradable assets. #Draft#9, Hartnell (age 33), and Johansen (appears he does not want to resign long term). Key need Defence.

Why might the Jets want #9? (Rantanen 6'4" and rugged). Another Finn to compliment Armia.

If you could get Johansen and #9 for, #17,#25 and Buff would either team do it? Would you risk Johansen leaving after 2 years as opposed to Buff leaving after 1?

If not Johansen, how about #17 or#25 and Buff, for #9 and Hartnell? Remember the Jets tried to reconvert Buff to a forward last year. Either of these trades would effectively do that - one for the short term and perhaps one for the long term.

Of course either of these would require Rantanen lasting to #9 first.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wracked (wrecked?) my brain. Looked at other teams needs and what they might want to achieve. But here goes.

Columbus as a draft trade partner. Key tradable assets. #Draft#9, Hartnell (age 33), and Johansen (appears he does not want to resign long term). Key need Defence.

Why might the Jets want #9? (Rantanen 6'4" and rugged). Another Finn to compliment Armia.

If you could get Johansen and #9 for, #17,#25 and Buff would either team do it? Would you risk Johansen leaving after 2 years as opposed to Buff leaving after 1?

If not Johansen, how about #17 or#25 and Buff, for #9 and Hartnell? Remember the Jets tried to reconvert Buff to a forward last year. Either of these trades would effectively do that - one for the short term and perhaps one for the long term.

Columbus has #8, not #9. Johanson is under contract for 2 more years and is then an RFA so somewhat protected. I think we are gauranteed 1 additional year. Not sure that Rantanen would be the target for the Jets. He would be a good one.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

17 + 25 + Buff for Ryan Johansen and 8? I would be making that deal in a nanosecond. Can't see any way the Jackets make that deal. As MS indicated, RyJo is still an RFA after his current deal.

17/25 + Buff for 8 + Hartnell? Probably still a little in favour of the Jets, especially if one thinks that Hartnell will be able to maintain his production for the next 4 years (to 37).

jetkarma*

17/25 + Buff for 8 + Hartnell? Probably still a little in favour of the Jets, especially if one thinks that Hartnell will be able to maintain his production for the next 4 years (to 37).

Think that is in favour of CBJ by quite a bit, I would not make that trade if I was Winnipeg.

jetkarma*

Interesting. I guess it depends on how the 8th pick is valued over the 17th?

For me that's part of it but as I read it , it's both the 17th and 25th plus Buff . That's an easy no for me . Buff is so much more valuable than the player coming back imo .

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
For me that's part of it but as I read it , it's both the 17th and 25th plus Buff . That's an easy no for me . Buff is so much more valuable than the player coming back imo .

I was under the understanding that for the Hartnell one it was one of the 17th or 25th, not both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad