Winnipeg Jets: YOU’RE the GM! GO!

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I debated or not to throw in my 2 cents. I read the Jets board almost daily but rarely post much at all.. But I’m bored at work, sooooo here it is, don’t yell at me :)

Trade:
- Mark Stuart for a 2nd (I hear Detroit is looking for a mean defensemen)
[/B]- Grant Clitsome (%50 retained), Scott Kosmachuck (Or Lodge), 2015 2nd (Stu trade) and 2015 4th for Patrick Sharp (1.1 M retained for a 3 year term of 4.8M) and 2016 6th

Forwards:
- Let Stafford, Frolik and Tlusty walk. As much as I would like to retain them, due to the weak UFA market, I’m out priced by another GM.
-Re-sign Burmistrov (2 x 2.2M)
- Resign Stempiak (2 x 1.9M)
-Re-sign Peluso (1 x600)
-Slater, Halischuk, Galiardi let walk as well.
-Re-sign Ladd to a 5 year 32M contract (6.4 AAV) ASAP

Defense:
- Re-sign Pardy as insurance (1 year, 900)
- Re-sign Chiarot (2X 1MM)
- Re-sign Postma (2X 900)
-Re-sign Byfuglien to a 3 year 21.5M contract (7.16 AAV) – I thought long and hard about trading Buff, but decided to re-sign him and reward him for being a big reason for us making the playoffs last year. Many Think he may decline, while possible yes, I on the other hand believe he will be motivated. It was discussed with him the expectation on him will continue to improve his fitness as he turns 30 and that he will be relied upon to be a leader both on and off the ice. He comes into camp in the best shape of his career, is rewarded with an A on his sweater.
- Sign Ellerby (1X 700) 2 way contract

Goaltending:
- Let Budaj walk.

Roster:

Ladd (4.4) Little (4.6) Sharp (4.8)
Ehlers (1.4) Scheifele (900) Wheeler (5.7)
Perreault (3) Lowry (900) Burmistrov (2.2)
Armia (900) Copp (1) Stempniak (1.9)

(Peluso (600) Thorburn (1.2))

Enstrom (5.75) Trouba (900)
Byfuglien (5.2) Myers (5.5)
Chiarot (1) Postma (900)

Pardy (1) Ellerby (700)
Pavlec (3.9)
Hutchinson (600)

Total Cap Hit: 58.95MM (Room for to add depth for another playoff run and for bonuses met at the end of the year, also leaves room for raises the following year) Please note I’m bad at math, so it could very well be off :naughty:
Edit: (60M cap hit, forgot Clitsome's 50%, whoops)

By the end of the year, Sharp and Ehlers will have traded places in the line-up. I really think Ehlers kicks down the door and has a really good 1st year (Calder contention).
Petan and Morrissey and Hellebuyck are my call ups and I plan for them to make the jump to the big club the following year.

I don't see why Detroit would be needing a tough defenseman when they have Brendan Smith, and Nik Kronwall, who both play pretty tough, and Ouellet will join them soon. What they do miss in the absence of Lidstrom/Rafalski is a good puck mover, which would be probably Enstrom, especially if Chevy and trust are confident that Morrissey is pretty close. The fact that Stuart wears an A over Enstrom says alot to me about how he is viewed on this team, though he is the most popular trade among HF Boarders.

I like the Sharp trade. We can deal with Chicago, the Frolik trade told us that. He would be a good veteran presence. Probably a good player to add too if the objective is to re-sign Ladd and Buff.

I still wonder at everybody annointing Ehlers as a top 6-9, while Jonathan Drouin who was/is a better prospect than him, and physically similar in stature, struggled quite a bit this year, as a 19 year old, for a point of reference.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
I don't see why Detroit would be needing a tough defenseman when they have Brendan Smith, and Nik Kronwall, who both play pretty tough, and Ouellet will join them soon. What they do miss in the absence of Lidstrom/Rafalski is a good puck mover, which would be probably Enstrom, especially if Chevy and trust are confident that Morrissey is pretty close. The fact that Stuart wears an A over Enstrom says alot to me about how he is viewed on this team, though he is the most popular trade among HF Boarders.

I like the Sharp trade. We can deal with Chicago, the Frolik trade told us that. He would be a good veteran presence. Probably a good player to add too if the objective is to re-sign Ladd and Buff.

I still wonder at everybody annointing Ehlers as a top 6-9, while Jonathan Drouin who was/is a better prospect than him, and physically similar in stature, struggled quite a bit this year, as a 19 year old, for a point of reference.

Stuart to Detroit for me was more of a suggestion (I think there would be interest from other teams as well). I thought I read somewhere that they were wanting a defenseman with a mean streak to help shoulder the load from Kronwall. When looking at our depth D, I wanted to make room for Ben to make the opening day roster, and leave an opening for Morrissey as-well when injuries come. As much as I doubt Stuart would be traded by Chevy, I think that if moving one of our RHD to the left side, creates a log jam on the left with bottom pairing D. For me Stuart has more perceived value and a larger cap hit

The Sharp trade I think would be good. I initially thought about maybe using the 25th, but with the possibility of Saad getting an offer sheet, and their cap troubles, along with our recent trade history and connection to Chicago that this could be atleast a possibility. It would also depend on Clitsome's health moving forward.
For me having a balance of talented Vets along with promising youth would be good moving forward in the teams development and eventually having the young core transition into the main core.

As for Ehlers, it's more so wishful thinking. Granted he will most likely start on the 3rd line if he does make the roster out of camp.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I don't know if it is a fair comparison Ehlers and Drouin and an even less fair comparison using the Bolts and Jets situations. Drouin actually had quite a good rookie season for a 19 yo. Getting 32 points in 70 games. He was inconsistent like most young players but at times he looked like a star in the making.The Bolts were willing to live with his rookie mistakes in the regular season. Similar production would be a pretty good rookie season for Ehlers.

However the Jets and Bolts are miles away from each other in terms of where they are as teams. The Bolts are true cup contenders with more fire power in their top 6 then we can dream of at this point. The Jets on the other hand have gaping holes on the wings in their middle 6 and are far away from contending for the cup. They can afford to play Ehlers and allow him to make and learn from mistakes (as did the Bolts in the regular season with Drouin). Even though TB had less immediate need for Drouin then the Jets have for Ehlers they still preferred for him not to spend his last junior eligible year in the Q against primarily 17-19 yo with far less talent.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Oh, Drouin again. Let me post my favourite numbers again:
5v5 P/60
Drouin 1.95
Compare:
Backstrom, Vrbata 1.96
Stafford, Pominville, Bergeron 1.95
O'Reilly, Ladd 1.94

If Ehlers does the same, we're good.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Chevy is an ex-Hawk I don't think he would ever offer sheet Chicago. I could also see us taking a run at Soderberg if he's under 4 per year.

I can't see Chevy getting involved in the offer sheet game. First of all it is inflationary for young players. Second the Jets will soon have a wave of high level RFA's they will need to sign themselves and would prefer not to have to outbid GM's from teams they have tried to snap up players from. The Jets are probably one of the worst positioned teams if offer sheeting became more common place.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Fair enough. At least you give an explanation for the opinion. Does that mean you would like to get him for a lower price than I suggested or you wouldn't want him at all? How about Brock Nelson instead of Josh Bailey?

I wouldn't be against Bailey for the right price. But I'd be looking to use him as a 3rd liner, so the price wouldn't be too high. In a perfect world though I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to get a guy like Bailey as a first choice. Ideally I'd like to have guys on the bottom lines that also bring another element than just 30ish points (not saying that is something to sneeze at mind you). I'd also like those guys to bring some PK ability, or elite speed, or physicality, etc. I just don't see that with Bailey.

That being said, I'd probably move Buff and Burmi for CDH and Bailey, but I personally wouldn't be adding.

Now Nelson? Heck ya, I was one that kept putting his name out there when the Kane rumors were going around as a guy I'd love the Jets to target. But he's also a couple of years younger than Bailey, just had his second season with the Isles and has now had two very good World Championship tournaments. I don't think he would be available, but I would bet that the Isles would want double (or more) for him than what they would want for Bailey.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wouldn't be against Bailey for the right price. But I'd be looking to use him as a 3rd liner, so the price wouldn't be too high. In a perfect world though I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to get a guy like Bailey as a first choice. Ideally I'd like to have guys on the bottom lines that also bring another element than just 30ish points (not saying that is something to sneeze at mind you). I'd also like those guys to bring some PK ability, or elite speed, or physicality, etc. I just don't see that with Bailey.

That being said, I'd probably move Buff and Burmi for CDH and Bailey, but I personally wouldn't be adding.

Now Nelson? Heck ya, I was one that kept putting his name out there when the Kane rumors were going around as a guy I'd love the Jets to target. But he's also a couple of years younger than Bailey, just had his second season with the Isles and has now had two very good World Championship tournaments. I don't think he would be available, but I would bet that the Isles would want double (or more) for him than what they would want for Bailey.

Yah, I doubt that Nelson would be available. That's why I proposed Bailey in the first place. I think Bailey is being underrated by some. Even you characterizing him as a 30ish points producer, while technically correct is minimizing his production. He has averaged 39.5 pts for the last 2 seasons and scored at a 41 pt rate in the lockout season. His 5v5 production is better than Nelson's, by a fair bit. His possession numbers have been pretty good for 3 consecutive years too. True he is not very physical but not every player needs to be. Looks like a legit 2nd line winger to me.

I think he might be suffering a bit from unrealistic expectations. He was brought up to the NHL straight out of the draft. The flaws in his game were pretty clearly exposed in those first few years when he probably should have been playing junior or AHL.

All that said the debate is really about the price proposed. That is a matter of trying to guess what the other team would demand and then deciding whether you would be willing to pay it or not. My initial idea was Buff and our 25th. At the last minute I decided that wouldn't get it done because we could only offer 1 year of Buff. So I added Burmi. That may have been too much. I would obviously be happy to get them for Buff and 1 of the other pieces instead of 2.

When I looked at our lineup after that trade it looked good. That is the deciding factor in the end. A couple of holes were filled. A couple of problems were solved and in my estimation we would be a better team. We stay better longer too.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Yah, I doubt that Nelson would be available. That's why I proposed Bailey in the first place. I think Bailey is being underrated by some. Even you characterizing him as a 30ish points producer, while technically correct is minimizing his production. He has averaged 39.5 pts for the last 2 seasons and scored at a 41 pt rate in the lockout season. His 5v5 production is better than Nelson's, by a fair bit. His possession numbers have been pretty good for 3 consecutive years too. True he is not very physical but not every player needs to be. Looks like a legit 2nd line winger to me.

I think he might be suffering a bit from unrealistic expectations. He was brought up to the NHL straight out of the draft. The flaws in his game were pretty clearly exposed in those first few years when he probably should have been playing junior or AHL.

All that said the debate is really about the price proposed. That is a matter of trying to guess what the other team would demand and then deciding whether you would be willing to pay it or not. My initial idea was Buff and our 25th. At the last minute I decided that wouldn't get it done because we could only offer 1 year of Buff. So I added Burmi. That may have been too much. I would obviously be happy to get them for Buff and 1 of the other pieces instead of 2.

When I looked at our lineup after that trade it looked good. That is the deciding factor in the end. A couple of holes were filled. A couple of problems were solved and in my estimation we would be a better team. We stay better longer too.

Why would you think that it wouldn't get it done? Historically players of Buffs ilk have gone for much more. One year of Brent Burns went for Setoguchi, who had just come off a thirty goal year, Coyle and a first round draft pick. Why does Buff go for so little, when worse defenseman went for more?

I mean there is age there, but I don't think GMs make too.much out of that to be honest.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why would you think that it wouldn't get it done? Historically players of Buffs ilk have gone for much more. One year of Brent Burns went for Setoguchi, who had just come off a thirty goal year, Coyle and a first round draft pick. Why does Buff go for so little, when worse defenseman went for more?

I mean there is age there, but I don't think GMs make too.much out of that to be honest.

The answer was and still is that I like CDH and Bailey. A lot. Maybe I am mistaken in that but it is not that I don't value Buff. When I looked at it from the other side I thought no, needs more. Very simple. They need incentive to do it. This is not some TD panic. I'm trying to be balanced and realistic. Trying too hard? Maybe.

IamAnton

Aug 14, 2014
Winnipeg
I can't see Chevy getting involved in the offer sheet game. First of all it is inflationary for young players. Second the Jets will soon have a wave of high level RFA's they will need to sign themselves and would prefer not to have to outbid GM's from teams they have tried to snap up players from. The Jets are probably one of the worst positioned teams if offer sheeting became more common place.

If it makes you better, I think you do it plain and simple. Not to mention you can throw 6.5 per at Saad just because you know the Hawks will match and it hurts them. Heck Boston apparently said they would match up to 7.3 per on Hamilton. If I'm a team in the East I offer that just go get Boston to sign him and hurt themselves even more.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
The answer was and still is that I like CDH and Bailey. A lot. Maybe I am mistaken in that but it is not that I don't value Buff. When I looked at it from the other side I thought no, needs more. Very simple. They need incentive to do it. This is not some TD panic. I'm trying to be balanced and realistic. Trying too hard? Maybe.

CDH is actually a really decent piece to have as a return. His underlying numbers are pretty good, even though his scoring dropped off big time after how good it was last year. He scored at .54 P/60 and Buff went 1.09 P/60.

jetkarma*

If it makes you better, I think you do it plain and simple. Not to mention you can throw 6.5 per at Saad just because you know the Hawks will match and it hurts them. Heck Boston apparently said they would match up to 7.3 per on Hamilton. If I'm a team in the East I offer that just go get Boston to sign him and hurt themselves even more.

It isn't as black and white as some may think it is imo .

I mentioned before that I wasn't saying the Jets should or would do something along this line but to just dismiss the thought it could be an option would be wrong I believe.

We know the Jets are a draft and develop team and that has to be the foundation , and it is and will remain that way . However we also know the Jets explored Parise and Suter when they were free agents and we know they may a legitimate offer to Paul Stastny. We also know that the Jets organization has said from day one that they would adjust their spending and or position on signing or going after the right player when the time was right .

With the cap being a real issue this year , it may present the right opportunity for the Jets or for another team . Using Saad as example only , it isn't like you're chasing a 30 year old or even a 27 year old . He's a 22 year old proven ascending big time talent , how much do you like him ? How much do you value him ?

If you're a team drafting 20 or later , spending next years picks isn't an awful lot for talent that is available this year . You make an offer you're comfortable with and if the other team matches , you don't lose anything and you handcuff a rival . Not the worst thing .

You can still be a D & D team, just adjust that approach for one year ... delayed at that ... buy now , pay later , no interest . In Winnipeg's case you will have a very strong prospect pool after this year and adding say a Saad or Toffoli or Nelson or a Stone would go a long way to solidifying your forward group .

I totally agree with your statement , if it makes you better you at least explore the option . I strongly believe there will be some teams presenting offer sheets this year . SJ did that with Niklas Hjalmarsson and Chicago ended up matching ,a good decision by both teams imo.

Think SJ would have regretted upping the offer so maybe the Hawks couldn't match ? Hindisght says probably not . You have to closley evaluate each situation but I would not just dismiss the thought . Of course you have to have a player wanting to sign, that's where ,cap , and maybe local ties come into play .

It will be interesting .

IamAnton

Aug 14, 2014
Winnipeg
It isn't as black and white as some may think it is imo .

I mentioned before that I wasn't saying the Jets should or would do something along this line but to just dismiss the thought it could be an option would be wrong I believe.

We know the Jets are a draft and develop team and that has to be the foundation , and it is and will remain that way . However we also know the Jets explored Parise and Suter when they were free agents and we know they may a legitimate offer to Paul Stastny. We also know that the Jets organization has said from day one that they would adjust their spending and or position on signing or going after the right player when the time was right .

With the cap being a real issue this year , it may present the right opportunity for the Jets or for another team . Using Saad as example only , it isn't like you're chasing a 30 year old or even a 27 year old . He's a 22 year old proven ascending big time talent , how much do you like him ? How much do you value him ?

If you're a team drafting 20 or later , spending next years picks isn't an awful lot for talent that is available this year . You make an offer you're comfortable with and if the other team matches , you don't lose anything and you handcuff a rival . Not the worst thing .

You can still be a D & D team, just adjust that approach for one year ... delayed at that ... buy now , pay later , no interest . In Winnipeg's case you will have a very strong prospect pool after this year and adding say a Saad or Toffoli or Nelson or a Stone would go a long way to solidifying your forward group .

I totally agree with your statement , if it makes you better you at least explore the option . I strongly believe there will be some teams presenting offer sheets this year . SJ did that with Niklas Hjalmarsson and Chicago ended up matching ,a good decision by both teams imo.

Think SJ would have regretted upping the offer so maybe the Hawks couldn't match ? Hindisght says probably not . You have to closley evaluate each situation but I would not just dismiss the thought . Of course you have to have a player wanting to sign, that's where ,cap , and maybe local ties come into play .

It will be interesting .

I agree 100%

At the very least it makes the build up to the draft and free agency more exciting. I won't hold my breathe but I think they will explore every option. Winnipeg's brass aren't stupid and they know they have a lot of holes to fill this year. Maybe its a simple value pick up like MP again or maybe it's an offer sheet. Let's just hope the team moves forwards this year not backwards.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Are you sure you are not a player agent? As I mentioned I can't see Chevy being at the forefront of escalating RFA salaries. One of the big wins from the lockout for the owners was keeping young players (RFA's) cost controlled. While there maybe be the occasional offer sheet most teams realize it is in all their best interests to keeping a lid on salaries prior to the UFA years. Over the last few years there has been nothing to suggest True North are looking to start rocking that boat. Especially considering how poorly timed it would be with Trouba, Scheifele and Lowry becoming RFA's next season. I'd imagine the Jets would prefer those 3 not be among the highest paid players on the team.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree 100%

At the very least it makes the build up to the draft and free agency more exciting. I won't hold my breathe but I think they will explore every option. Winnipeg's brass aren't stupid and they know they have a lot of holes to fill this year. Maybe its a simple value pick up like MP again or maybe it's an offer sheet. Let's just hope the team moves forwards this year not backwards.

I wouldn't mind a bit of a youth movement even if they take a bit of a temporary step back. In the longer term it might be for the best.

IamAnton

Aug 14, 2014
Winnipeg
I wouldn't mind a bit of a youth movement even if they take a bit of a temporary step back. In the longer term it might be for the best.

I'de rather not watch Ladd and Buff walk for nothing personally... Competitive players want to compete after all.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I agree 100%

Time will tell, but I see a step backwards this year, small regression.......been calling it for months now.

Let's see if Chevy has the ability to move make the right moves. If he's smart he can improve the team long term and improve on last year.

jetkarma*

Time will tell, but I see a step backwards this year, small regression.......been calling it for months now.

Let's see if Chevy has the ability to move make the right moves. If he's smart he can improve the team long term and improve on last year.

There really isn't any question that he's smart . There isn't .

Of course for those who knew the only way to advance was to tank and to overreact they may still have questions , but they are easy to dismiss.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
There really isn't any question that he's smart . There isn't .

Of course for those who knew the only way to advance was to tank and to overreact they may still have questions , but they are easy to dismiss.

Tanking? Not sure where this comes from.

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
Okay I'll give this a try.

No offer sheets.........limited history of success, controversial, antagonistic, and not sure the benefits outweigh the consequenses.

My team made the playoffs and looked poised, deep and competitive most of the year. Young teams need time.

Improve the 4th line to the degree that the coach believes in them and counts on them. Copp, Armia and Thor with some back-up depth( from the Moose ) should improve us in this area immediately. Resigning a Tlusty or Stepniak is unlikely for this role but offers should be on the table for July 1.

Ehlers with Lowry and Buff protecting him(as well as the coach situation wise) makes us more dangerous and allows for PK and PP players to be in our bottom 6.

Leave Perrault Schief and Wheeler in tact. Extend Perreault if able.

Ladd and Little are tremendous hockey players who helped both Wheeler and Frolik as much as visa versa. 5 years 5 million is all we can do with Frolik if other factors prevent his resigning then we have assets in place to aquire a top line replacement.
This includes #17,#25 Burmistov and Petan.

Ladd and Buff will earn their next contract(history shows they will play aggressively in a contract year). The trade deadline will be enough time to determine if agreements are reachable with both or either. If we believe we can win the cup keep them and risk losing them for nothing..........otherwise trade them at the deadline. This helps assure we won't have a step back this year.

DEFENCE.............Nothing wrong with Trouba Myers, Enstom as a top3. Stuart Chariot are excellent bottom three considering the roles they play. Harrison, Clitsome, and Postma with Buff and Morrissey etc is a 10 pack of d men that got the job done last year. Kostalek and resigning Ellerby and Padry just makes us that much deeper .

Cmon Helly take the job Day One and be the all-star goalie every team needs. If not we will have to accept 910-920 sv% for the next year until Helly is ready...but we are going in with 3 poss 4(Comrie) goalie options this year.

I love the flexibility of Buff at Fwd with PP time and Back on D when we need more offence. Last year when Buff Lowry and Kane were together I thought it might be the best 3rd line in hockey.

Congrats Chicago...we're coming for you.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Okay I'll give this a try.

No offer sheets.........limited history of success, controversial, antagonistic, and not sure the benefits outweigh the consequenses.

My team made the playoffs and looked poised, deep and competitive most of the year. Young teams need time.

Improve the 4th line to the degree that the coach believes in them and counts on them. Copp, Armia and Thor with some back-up depth( from the Moose ) should improve us in this area immediately. Resigning a Tlusty or Stepniak is unlikely for this role but offers should be on the table for July 1.

Ehlers with Lowry and Buff protecting him(as well as the coach situation wise) makes us more dangerous and allows for PK and PP players to be in our bottom 6.

Leave Perrault Schief and Wheeler in tact. Extend Perreault if able.

Ladd and Little are tremendous hockey players who helped both Wheeler and Frolik as much as visa versa. 5 years 5 million is all we can do with Frolik if other factors prevent his resigning then we have assets in place to aquire a top line replacement.
This includes #17,#25 Burmistov and Petan.

Ladd and Buff will earn their next contract(history shows they will play aggressively in a contract year). The trade deadline will be enough time to determine if agreements are reachable with both or either. If we believe we can win the cup keep them and risk losing them for nothing..........otherwise trade them at the deadline. This helps assure we won't have a step back this year.

DEFENCE.............Nothing wrong with Trouba Myers, Enstom as a top3. Stuart Chariot are excellent bottom three considering the roles they play. Harrison, Clitsome, and Postma with Buff and Morrissey etc is a 10 pack of d men that got the job done last year. Kostalek and resigning Ellerby and Padry just makes us that much deeper .

Cmon Helly take the job Day One and be the all-star goalie every team needs. If not we will have to accept 910-920 sv% for the next year until Helly is ready...but we are going in with 3 poss 4(Comrie) goalie options this year.

I love the flexibility of Buff at Fwd with PP time and Back on D when we need more offence. Last year when Buff Lowry and Kane were together I thought it might be the best 3rd line in hockey.

Congrats Chicago...we're coming for you.

Buff is not going back to forward. Not going to happen. You may have thought they were a great 3rd line but the fact is that Buff simply didn't produce. He did not play well at RW.

Perreault is not eligible to be extended. He has 2 more years on his existing contract.

Going into the season with Buff and Ladd unsigned is a recipe for disaster. We are not going to be cup contenders but we will be PO contenders. They won't be traded at the deadline and they will be lost for nothing. Sign or trade this off-season. That is enough options. No more are needed. KISS principle.

Otherwise not bad.

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
Buff is not going back to forward. Not going to happen. You may have thought they were a great 3rd line but the fact is that Buff simply didn't produce. He did not play well at RW.

Perreault is not eligible to be extended. He has 2 more years on his existing contract.

Going into the season with Buff and Ladd unsigned is a recipe for disaster. We are not going to be cup contenders but we will be PO contenders. They won't be traded at the deadline and they will be lost for nothing. Sign or trade this off-season. That is enough options. No more are needed. KISS principle.

Otherwise not bad.

I'm not sure production from Buff was the point. We were very difficult to play against and seem to go on a winning streak(someone could look up that stat pls). We were very defensive and successful to my memory(and he did get his minutes playing also in other capacities at that time).

I haven't heard much about trading Ladd at this time so I guess he better sign before the season starts or our best option is to move him??

The 2( Buff and Ladd) would return a boatload of value, but unless they return quality NHLers are we willing to take that giant step backwards?

Bottom line I think I'd rather be a great team with them and tank at the end of the year by trading them. We'll only get futures at that time but both will return 1sts and a good propect.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
I'm not sure production from Buff was the point. We were very difficult to play against and seem to go on a winning streak(someone could look up that stat pls). We were very defensive and successful to my memory(and he did get his minutes playing also in other capacities at that time).
See article http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/05/...winnipeg-jets-should-do-with-dustin-byfuglien

In fact, the Jets went 9-3-1 when Byfuglien was out of the lineup due to injury or suspension this past season. They went 16-9-7 when he was at forward.

With Byfuglien on defence, the Jets went 18-14-5, which is not bad, but not as good as the 25 wins they generated when he wasn’t on the blue-line.

To summarize...
  • Buff at defense; Jets went 18-14-5
  • Buff at forward; Jets went 16-9-7
  • Buff not playing (injured/suspended); Jets went 9-3-1
Buff is a liability on defense due to mistakes. He's less of a liability as a forward, mostly because those mistakes happen 150 feet away from our net. We got a better record when he wasn't playing defense. We got our best record when he wasn't playing... period. Since Buff has made it clear that he wants to play defense, or else he'll probably walk, I say trade him for whatever we can get.

The scarey part was that taking Buff off defense usually meant pulling in Jay Harrison. Did I mention that during his 35 games with the Jets last year, our record was 22-9-4 :amazed:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad