Winnipeg Jets: YOU’RE the GM! GO!

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Bailey has been a whipping boy for Isles fans for years, where in the past they couldn't wait to get rid of him. I could be mistaken, but his recent point improvement I believe coincides with additional time with JT. IMO hes a third line winger at best, but without a strong defensive game or physically.

IamAnton

Aug 14, 2014
Winnipeg
Jakob Silfverberg is RFA and Anaheim is very restricted in its $. Think offering him 3.65 might puts Anaheim in an interesting spot and would only give up a second if he signs.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Jakob Silfverberg is RFA and Anaheim is very restricted in its $. Think offering him 3.65 might puts Anaheim in an interesting spot and would only give up a second if he signs.

I'd rather do that, (offer the second in trade first even), then some ideas out there about offering something silly for Saad.

IamAnton

Aug 14, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd rather do that, (offer the second in trade first even), then some ideas out there about offering something silly for Saad.

Chevy is an ex-Hawk I don't think he would ever offer sheet Chicago. I could also see us taking a run at Soderberg if he's under 4 per year.

IamAnton

Aug 14, 2014
Winnipeg
No way. I want to develop Scheifele and Lowry at center.

Which is fine but if you want any chance at another playoff appearance for next year you need to make some moves and sign some players. Especially since it looks like Stafford/Frolik/Tlusty are all gone. Adding 3-4 prospects to our lineup is fine but were going to get hammered in the west. Which IMO hurts our chances of resigning Ladd and/or Byfuglien.

IamAnton

Aug 14, 2014
Winnipeg
Adding is fine. But add wingers, not centers.

The UFA crop of wingers is sub-par to put it best. Especially if Frolik is looking at 5+ per as it is for a 40 point winger. At the very least a trade will be needed to even keep us competitive. But if Lowry has to play on the wing for 3 years and develop, it seems like its a worthwhile cost to keep your top UFA's from leaving.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
The UFA crop of wingers is sub-par to put it best. Especially if Frolik is looking at 5+ per as it is for a 40 point winger. At the very least a trade will be needed to even keep us competitive. But if Lowry has to play on the wing for 3 years and develop, it seems like its a worthwhile cost to keep your top UFA's from leaving.

Frolik is a 30+ 5v5 point winger. He doesn't play PP a lot.
I want Lowry at center.

Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Scheifele-X
Ehlers-Lowry-X
X-X-X

We have 5 vacancies. Two are critical. A second-line winger and a third-line winger, preferably right wingers (assuming Ehlers plays left wing, which is still not that clear). Maybe the 2RW position needs a trade, if we're unlucky. But for 3W there should be decent enough targets in UFA, or cheap trades (e. g. Kris Versteeg).
Now Soderberg is actually a bad target because he can't play RW due to an eye injury.

IamAnton

Aug 14, 2014
Winnipeg
Frolik is a 30+ 5v5 point winger. He doesn't play PP a lot.
I want Lowry at center.

Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Scheifele-X
Ehlers-Lowry-X
X-X-X

We have 5 vacancies. Two are critical. A second-line winger and a third-line winger, preferably right wingers (assuming Ehlers plays left wing, which is still not that clear). Maybe the 2RW position needs a trade, if we're unlucky. But for 3W there should be decent enough targets in UFA, or cheap trades (e. g. Kris Versteeg).
Now Soderberg is actually a bad target because he can't play RW due to an eye injury.

Soderberg is a significant upgrade at centre over Lowry (right now) which is where you would be signing him, something like 3-3.5x3. It makes us a better team then we are currently. That's not even disputable. The risk is we turn into another Panthers/Yotes type of team that can never contend because all our UFA's leave for competitive markets and makes the whole draft and develope model useless. It's great to draft and develope, but if your UFA's simply leave then you never have players constantly pushing for positoins.

Either way, no matter what, the Jets need to make some moves this year.

Something like:
Ladd Little Silfverberg(RFA)/Trade?
MP Shief Wheels
Ehlers Soder/Lowry - Lowry/Armia/Stemp
Thorbs Copp Stemp(Other)

Could see a trade being made for our RFA defenseman like Postma/Chiarot as both will want 1-way contracts and I think they don't hold roster spots this year.

Enstrom Myers
Morrissey Buff
Stuart Troubs
Harrison

I assume Clistome will LTIR

edit: I could even see us running MP on the third line, something like the end of last year with Stempniak(Ehlers) - Lowry - MP. That obviously would be ideal depth wise but would require another UFA signing or more likely a trade. Perhaps JVR or Skinner(risk) for an RFA D-man and some picks/prospects

Last edited:

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
I debated or not to throw in my 2 cents. I read the Jets board almost daily but rarely post much at all.. But I’m bored at work, sooooo here it is, don’t yell at me :)

Trade:
- Mark Stuart for a 2nd (I hear Detroit is looking for a mean defensemen)
- Grant Clitsome (%50 retained), Scott Kosmachuck (Or Lodge), 2015 2nd (Stu trade) and 2015 4th for Patrick Sharp (1.1 M retained for a 3 year term of 4.8M) and 2016 6th

Forwards:
- Let Stafford, Frolik and Tlusty walk. As much as I would like to retain them, due to the weak UFA market, I’m out priced by another GM.
-Re-sign Burmistrov (2 x 2.2M)
- Resign Stempiak (2 x 1.9M)
-Re-sign Peluso (1 x600)
-Slater, Halischuk, Galiardi let walk as well.
-Re-sign Ladd to a 5 year 32M contract (6.4 AAV) ASAP

Defense:
- Re-sign Pardy as insurance (1 year, 900)
- Re-sign Chiarot (2X 1MM)
- Re-sign Postma (2X 900)
-Re-sign Byfuglien to a 3 year 21.5M contract (7.16 AAV) – I thought long and hard about trading Buff, but decided to re-sign him and reward him for being a big reason for us making the playoffs last year. Many Think he may decline, while possible yes, I on the other hand believe he will be motivated. It was discussed with him the expectation on him will continue to improve his fitness as he turns 30 and that he will be relied upon to be a leader both on and off the ice. He comes into camp in the best shape of his career, is rewarded with an A on his sweater.
- Sign Ellerby (1X 700) 2 way contract

Goaltending:
- Let Budaj walk.

Roster:

Ladd (4.4) Little (4.6) Sharp (4.8)
Ehlers (1.4) Scheifele (900) Wheeler (5.7)
Perreault (3) Lowry (900) Burmistrov (2.2)
Armia (900) Copp (1) Stempniak (1.9)

(Peluso (600) Thorburn (1.2))

Enstrom (5.75) Trouba (900)
Byfuglien (5.2) Myers (5.5)
Chiarot (1) Postma (900)

Pardy (1) Ellerby (700)
Pavlec (3.9)
Hutchinson (600)

Total Cap Hit: 58.95MM (Room for to add depth for another playoff run and for bonuses met at the end of the year, also leaves room for raises the following year) Please note I’m bad at math, so it could very well be off :naughty:
Edit: (60M cap hit, forgot Clitsome's 50%, whoops)

By the end of the year, Sharp and Ehlers will have traded places in the line-up. I really think Ehlers kicks down the door and has a really good 1st year (Calder contention).
Petan and Morrissey and Hellebuyck are my call ups and I plan for them to make the jump to the big club the following year.

Last edited:

jetkarma*

I think Ana is more than ok cap wise aren't they ?

Saying that,as I have mentioned there are a bunch of really good RFA's , some from cash strapped teams and some that have pretty strong local ties.

I would be really surprised if there wasn't activity on that front .

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I debated or not to throw in my 2 cents. I read the Jets board almost daily but rarely post much at all.. But I’m bored at work, sooooo here it is, don’t yell at me :)

Trade:
- Mark Stewart for a 2nd (I hear Detroit is looking for a mean defensemen)

I'M GOING TO YELL AT YOU NOW.

First, you misspelled Mark Stuart.
Second, you got bad value. Brad Stuart got a 2nd + 6th after all. So we should at least get 2nd+5th.

On a serious note: not bad. If the Byfuglien signing works as you put it, everybody would be happy here. The Sharp trade is realistic from Chicago POV.

IamAnton

Aug 14, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Ana is more than ok cap wise aren't they ?

Saying that,as I have mentioned there are a bunch of really good RFA's , some from cash strapped teams and some that have pretty strong local ties.

I would be really surprised if there wasn't activity on that front .

Anaheim has a lot of cap but they don't spend a lot and never have. Belesky is another example of a player they cant sign at 4-5m per simply because its too much for the teams internal cap. That's why I would advocate Jakob Silfverberg as a potential target. Especially since Anaheim is going to have to Re-sign Kesler soon at likely 7 per year. I'll also include that this year they need to re-sign Beauchemin, Etem, Sberg, and Belesky. With Belesky the most likely to be let go $ wise.

Last edited:

jetkarma*

Anaheim has a lot of cap but they don't spend a lot and never have. Belesky is another example of a player they cant sign at 4-5m per simply because its too much for the teams internal cap. That's why I would advocate Jakob Silfverberg as a potential target. Especially since Anaheim is going to have to Re-sign Kesler soon at likely 7 per year. I'll also include that this year they need to re-sign Beauchemin, Etem, Sberg, and Belesky. With Belesky the most likely to be let go $ wise.

I'd be surprised if they don't resign them personally. They hbelieve adno issue spending big for Getzlaf and Perry and getting Kessler . They either want to win ( I believe they do ) or they don't .

There are a lot of really attractive RFA's , not saying Wpg , should or will offer or pursue one ormore , but they should be explosring that option imo .

I love Saad , think he's the type of player in a situation you fully explore.

IamAnton

Aug 14, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd be surprised if they don't resign them personally. They hbelieve adno issue spending big for Getzlaf and Perry and getting Kessler . They either want to win ( I believe they do ) or they don't .

There are a lot of really attractive RFA's , not saying Wpg , should or will offer or pursue one ormore , but they should be explosring that option imo .

I love Saad , think he's the type of player in a situation you fully explore.

Well all the top reporters and insiders like Mckenzie say Belesky is gone so it would be safe to assume the other 3 are priorities. I would also be surprised if at the very least they didn't match our offer assuming 3.65 per year. But its worth a shot regardless. That being said ide love Saad too... But like i said in a prior post I just don't see Chevy offer sheeting the Hawks of all teams. Plus I think the cost would be north of 6 per year for the Hawks to let him go.

jetkarma*

Well all the top reporters and insiders like Mckenzie say Belesky is gone so it would be safe to assume the other 3 are priorities. I would also be surprised if at the very least they didn't match our offer assuming 3.65 per year. But its worth a shot regardless. That being said ide love Saad too... But like i said in a prior post I just don't see Chevy offer sheeting the Hawks of all teams. Plus I think the cost would be north of 6 per year for the Hawks to let him go.

I outlined a few reasons why Wpg. would not or may not pursue Saad as an option , one of those was the connection aspect .

It's really interesting at least to me , to delve into this . We've seen offer sheets before , Chicago matched one to Niklas Hjalmarsson ( right move btw ) not that long ago . A team that REALLY wanted Saad could make it happen I believe. Chicago has 23 million committed to 19 and 88 , a team wanting Saad could make the Hawks locked in to 30 million for three players . That would cost them a first , a second and a third . A lot but not so much to not pursue it imo .

I listed more in the initial post , but Saad to me is an ascending player that makes you seriously consider it . He isn't the only one , but Chicago is tough up against the cap , big time . Hamilton and Toffoli are others that could be targets . I would be shocked if we don't see some assertive , aggresive moves by several teams this off season .

IamAnton

Aug 14, 2014
Winnipeg
I outlined a few reasons why Wpg. would not or may not pursue Saad as an option , one of those was the connection aspect .

It's really interesting at least to me , to delve into this . We've seen offer sheets before , Chicago matched one to Niklas Hjalmarsson ( right move btw ) not that long ago . A team that REALLY wanted Saad could make it happen I believe. Chicago has 23 million committed to 19 and 88 , a team wanting Saad could make the Hawks locked in to 30 million for three players . That would cost them a first , a second and a third . A lot but not so much to not pursue it imo .

I listed more in the initial post , but Saad to me is an ascending player that makes you seriously consider it . He isn't the only one , but Chicago is tough up against the cap , big time . Hamilton and Toffoli are others that could be targets . I would be shocked if we don't see some assertive , aggresive moves by several teams this off season .

I also read a blog on hbuzz about Hamilton to Winnipeg which was interesting.. Rather then pay Buff 7 per year long term why not pay Hamilton as you get more from your investment(Hopefully).. I agree though that this year should have more of those, and I hope the Jets are in on it. Tarasenko also comes to mind for this type of deal.

jetkarma*

I also read a blog on hbuzz about Hamilton to Winnipeg which was interesting.. Rather then pay Buff 7 per year long term why not pay Hamilton as you get more from your investment(Hopefully).. I agree though that this year should have more of those, and I hope the Jets are in on it. Tarasenko also comes to mind for this type of deal.

Don't think Hamilton is an option at all for Wpg. He could be for other teams though , and Boston could be pushed hard up against the cap like Chicago .

The thing re Buff and Hamilton is you end spending for something you have and maybe not better . Adding a piece that you currently don't have and is advanced enough to be a true factor and then delaying the cost for future picks has it's advantages imo.

St.Louis would match , but you could hurt them cap wise to be sure . You have some players with ties , Stone , Nelson , others that seem to have issues with coaches ( Galchenyuk ) so there will be lots of scenarios to consider.

Again , not thinking it is likely or prudent , but Wpg. will be flush with prospects after this draft , you would get a really really good if not great player that fits in and contributes NOW , and you could hurt a competing team .

There also almost assuredly will be trade opportunities because of the RFA's and the cap , so another aspect to keep in mind .

I keep mentioning , but a couple of drafts ago Chevy said he wanted to be at some point in a position of power , to have options , well he's put himself in that position and I think we'll see some strong moves .

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg

Trade:
- Mark Stuart for a 2nd (I hear Detroit is looking for a mean defensemen)
- Grant Clitsome (%50 retained), Scott Kosmachuck (Or Lodge), 2015 2nd (Stu trade) and 2015 4th for Patrick Sharp (1.1 M retained for a 3 year term of 4.8M) and 2016 6th

Forwards:
- Let Stafford, Frolik and Tlusty walk. As much as I would like to retain them, due to the weak UFA market, I’m out priced by another GM.
-Re-sign Burmistrov (2 x 2.2M)
- Resign Stempiak (2 x 1.9M)
-Re-sign Peluso (1 x600)
-Slater, Halischuk, Galiardi let walk as well.
-Re-sign Ladd to a 5 year 32M contract (6.4 AAV) ASAP

Defense:
- Re-sign Pardy as insurance (1 year, 900)
- Re-sign Chiarot (2X 1MM)
- Re-sign Postma (2X 900)
-Re-sign Byfuglien to a 3 year 21.5M contract (7.16 AAV) – I thought long and hard about trading Buff, but decided to re-sign him and reward him for being a big reason for us making the playoffs last year. Many Think he may decline, while possible yes, I on the other hand believe he will be motivated. It was discussed with him the expectation on him will continue to improve his fitness as he turns 30 and that he will be relied upon to be a leader both on and off the ice. He comes into camp in the best shape of his career, is rewarded with an A on his sweater.
- Sign Ellerby (1X 700) 2 way contract

Goaltending:
- Let Budaj walk.

Roster:

Ladd (4.4) Little (4.6) Sharp (4.8)
Ehlers (1.4) Scheifele (900) Wheeler (5.7)
Perreault (3) Lowry (900) Burmistrov (2.2)
Armia (900) Copp (1) Stempniak (1.9)

(Peluso (600) Thorburn (1.2))

Enstrom (5.75) Trouba (900)
Byfuglien (5.2) Myers (5.5)
Chiarot (1) Postma (900)

Pardy (1) Ellerby (700)
Pavlec (3.9)
Hutchinson (600)

Total Cap Hit: 58.95MM (Room for to add depth for another playoff run and for bonuses met at the end of the year, also leaves room for raises the following year) Please note I’m bad at math, so it could very well be off :naughty:
Edit: (60M cap hit, forgot Clitsome's 50%, whoops)

By the end of the year, Sharp and Ehlers will have traded places in the line-up. I really think Ehlers kicks down the door and has a really good 1st year (Calder contention).
Petan and Morrissey and Hellebuyck are my call ups and I plan for them to make the jump to the big club the following year.
I am okay with Stuart being traded for a 2nd if Trouba switches to the left side but would do it at trade deadline if the Trouba move works.
Don't want Sharp has regressed this yr and will continue to with his advanced age and possible locker room tension.
Okay with signing Stemp up to 2milx2. Would sign Burmi 1yr show me contract and if Maurice is able to coach him we keep him and extend him. Would like to see a Ehlers Lowry Burmi line.
Should be able to sign Ladd for 5x5.85, would be okay with Buff at that rate but I don't think he signs for less than 5yrs.
Postma,Chariot, Pardy I agree with those terms, clitsome will probably be ltrd.

IamAnton

Aug 14, 2014
Winnipeg
Don't think Hamilton is an option at all for Wpg. He could be for other teams though , and Boston could be pushed hard up against the cap like Chicago .

The thing re Buff and Hamilton is you end spending for something you have and maybe not better . Adding a piece that you currently don't have and is advanced enough to be a true factor and then delaying the cost for future picks has it's advantages imo.

St.Louis would match , but you could hurt them cap wise to be sure . You have some players with ties , Stone , Nelson , others that seem to have issues with coaches ( Galchenyuk ) so there will be lots of scenarios to consider.

Again , not thinking it is likely or prudent , but Wpg. will be flush with prospects after this draft , you would get a really really good if not great player that fits in and contributes NOW , and you could hurt a competing team .

There also almost assuredly will be trade opportunities because of the RFA's and the cap , so another aspect to keep in mind .

I keep mentioning , but a couple of drafts ago Chevy said he wanted to be at some point in a position of power , to have options , well he's put himself in that position and I think we'll see some strong moves .

Well let's hope he makes a few big trades like LA did and bring in a Jeff Carter or 2 while still having fantastic depth, we are certainly in a position to move some picks/prospects and maintain a full cupboard.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Bailey has been a whipping boy for Isles fans for years, where in the past they couldn't wait to get rid of him. I could be mistaken, but his recent point improvement I believe coincides with additional time with JT. IMO hes a third line winger at best, but without a strong defensive game or physically.

Fair enough. At least you give an explanation for the opinion. Does that mean you would like to get him for a lower price than I suggested or you wouldn't want him at all? How about Brock Nelson instead of Josh Bailey?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Your offer sheet proposal means a huge departure from the D&D model. I just don't see it happening here. If it does it would have to be lower priced player who would only cost a 2nd. If some other team's offer sheet creates additional cap pressures for some team we might be able to take advantage though.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Fair enough. At least you give an explanation for the opinion. Does that mean you would like to get him for a lower price than I suggested or you wouldn't want him at all? How about Brock Nelson instead of Josh Bailey?

I gave you an explanation. All you had to do actually read my posts in stead of cherry picking. I told you that his stat line was ugly. O told you that CDH could very well be going through a sophomore slump, but still had inherent risks because of handling less responsibility. It's not my fault that you decided not to read that.

And to Jet and you, I never said that having those players as part of the return was a bad thing. I just said that there was no way we should be adding anywhere near as much as what you had suggested.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad