Player Discussion: Winnipeg Jets select D Josh Morrissey (1/13)

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I like the pick........Morresay.,...... can be a Jet for the next 15 yrs/ after 1-2 more years in junior.......... I am going to call it now........ and for you doubters mark this post..... xxx....... Moressay will make the world junior team and will get grreat praise from the tsn media junkies .... his stock will rise and the rest of the other NHL fans will wonder how Winnipeg did it twice in 2 yrs ........ Got one of the best D-men.........Whoyaaaa....:yo::yo:

Nice bump of this old draft day thread.........while many of the Hfjets posters were slamming Chevy over this pick....... I had this prediction........ on page 7 on July 1st 2013 th.

I told the naysayers of the pick to mark this post (xxx) and re post it when it comes true.

2012 / Trouba...... 2013 / Morrissey ...... The Jets get 2 of the best D-men 2 years in a row in the 2012/13 drafts.......

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I'm happy both with how the pick has turned out (ecstatic, really), and my response to the selection at the time. :D

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Not a Jets fan but I don't think you'll be disappointed with this pick in 5 years. People will talk about Morrissey-Trouba the same way they talked about Suter-Weber.
Even though I wasn't around at the time of the pick, I kind of like the idea of Jets fans bombarding a Habs fan with notifications about a correct prediction.

The first round of '13 really didn't turn out too well with regards to D. Jones is a beauty, but after him, Morrissey might just be #2.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Not a Jets fan but I don't think you'll be disappointed with this pick in 5 years. People will talk about Morrissey-Trouba the same way they talked about Suter-Weber.
Please tell me about my future........I wait in anticipation

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think I took a wait and see approach with Morrissey as I learned my lesson with Scheifele. I didn't know much about him at the time so I did some research and liked what I saw.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think I took a wait and see approach with Morrissey as I learned my lesson with Scheifele. I didn't know much about him at the time so I did some research and liked what I saw.
This has always been my stance. I watch no junior games other than for the WJC and maybe a couple Memorial cup games so I have no 1st hand viewings of players. I do like to read the opinion of those that do scout and watch players closely, but I take a wait and see approach on where I land until we see what type of player the pick actually becomes.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I am pleased my initial response stood the test of time (**tries to blush, then realizes he has no skin**)

Winnipeg Jets select D Josh Morrissey (1/13)

There are relatively few players at #13 who ever make an impact and the Jets clearly had a very short list. Moving on to the "next guy" was clearly not their MO.
To illustrate: Of the last 10 drafts, looking at players picked at #13:
-there are no 'stars', at least not yet
-only 4 players have played regularly in the NHL
-Of the forwards, only one has > 0.5 PPG in the NHL; interestingly, his name is....Drew Stafford

IMO, what the Jets did in picking Morrissey is recognize that traditional picking at #13 yields mediocre results so they used their own organizational intelligence and extensive due diligence to select someone has a high likelihood to make it and have an real impact 3-5 from now.

Edit: I didn't go back far enough. Dustin Brown, drafted in 2003, also has >0.5 pp and is arguably a star, even tho I hate him!

I reposted Garret's links to this topic from the other day.
For all the armchair GMs who know more about drafting than the Jets scouting staff, I trust you have read these articles.
If you prefer jumping to conclusions to reading scatter graphs, just read the last paragraph in the second article--it puts the Zadorov vs Morrissey discussion in perspective.

That's Offside!: Defense, Defensemen, and the Draft

That's Offside!: Defending The Defenseman Post

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Except Morrissey was a good pick by the same measures that go against Stanley... same thing about my own scouting impressions. Notice how I was pro Morrissey in the first few pages.

Doesn’t mean we can’t hope Garret, even if it may not be likely. :nod:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Except Morrissey was a good pick by the same measures that go against Stanley... same thing about my own scouting impressions. Notice how I was pro Morrissey in the first few pages.
I was pro Morrissey (before the draft) and very against Stanley. However, I try to be circumspect about the scouting process and recognize that every methodology will have its limitations.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Were you in on Gauthier in 2013 like most of our Board?

I recall a lot of our Board were big in Shinkaruk at #13. He had good numbers, I think.

Either of them over Morrissey would have been an epic fail, in hindsight.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Were you in on Gauthier in 2013 like most of our Board?

I recall a lot of our Board were big in Shinkaruk at #13. He had good numbers, I think.

Either of them over Morrissey would have been an epic fail, in hindsight.

IIRC, I was hoping Morrissey, Theodore, or Pollock. I wasn't huge fan of Gauthier but didn't dislike him as much as I would today given a prospect who came up the same. However, I will caveat all of this with pointing out that Morrissey research was in part what led me into looking at analytics outside of just at the NHL level... so those three I liked from more traditional scouting methods.

Reactions: Whileee

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
i still like Schiefele more than Couturier..

and i am happy with the Schiefele, Trouba..
more than if we have picked Hamilton and , Forsberg?

Josh Morrissey is a pick for the future, 3-4 years down when Enstrom will most likely get traded.

;)

I wanted Domi

But this Morrissey pick was a home run.
Of all the Jets homerun.
What would the Jets left side look like now without him? Maybe equal to Scheifele homerun!

All Jets "first" pick since 2016 are freakin 1st pairing dman or 1st 2011- players.
Only time they picked top 3 is once, they got the freakin player with the best shot in the whole league for it.

Chevys team is just awesome.
They even got Vesalainen at a super late pick.

I kind of see where Stanley fits in to all this puzzle now. Very late bloomer that Jets will need down the line to fill the bottom 4 pairing spots, as it started already Jets will be hard press with high picks.
Stanley is a 5 to 6 years project.

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
What a great read. The posts that stand out to me are the ones with the cliches about "low hockey IQ" and "all tools no toolbox".

Josh has to be one of the smartest players around.

Also loved the post about the draft party hosted by Stu and James Wright. Shows how far we've come.:nod:

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
As apposed to everyone else who doesn't view methodologies to have limitations.
As opposed to people who look at one or two picks, form a cartoonish stereotype of the scouting group, and assess every pick through that lens seeking confirmation for their bias. I've seen more posts than I care to remember saying that Chevy only goes after gritty N Americans, or is biased against smaller talented players, when the record clearly shows that to be false. I was furious wiwith the Stanley pick, but it didn't mean that the Jets were dumb troglodytes. They clearly saw some things in his game beyond size. Time will tell on that pick, but using it as a cudgel to stereotype their drafting method gets tiresome (n.b. not saying that you do this at all).

Reactions: Evil Little

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad