Confirmed with Link: Winnipeg Jets Re-Sign Nathan Beaulieu - 1 Year - $1M

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Belieau was pretty effective at standing up at the line and breaking the pick out. If he can keep that up and work against defending against the cycle the he is a top 4 dmen imo.

I'm not overly concerned about his production if he does the other things well.

Reactions: MardyBum

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Two seasons ago our D core was really good with JT-Josh then Enstrom-Buff crushing it on the second pair.

I recall @garret9 isolating Enström's results as pretty middle-of-the-road third-pairing level that year. I think he was carried by Byfuglien, unlike prior years of that pair.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I recall @garret9 isolating Enström's results as pretty middle-of-the-road third-pairing level that year. I think he was carried by Byfuglien, unlike prior years of that pair.

In his last season where he played 43 games I believe Toby had great defensive numbers. His shot suppression heat map was really good. Now I have had a few beers at the lake today so my memory may be failing me.

Reactions: Hank Chinaski

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
In his last season where he played 43 games I believe Toby had great defensive numbers. His shot suppression heat map was really good. Now I have had a few beers at the lake today so my memory may be failing me.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, and you could be right (I certainly can't find anything to support my account).

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
We went to one of the most coveted d core to this. All In one offseason. Yesh.
Yes, but on the other hand, we went from an extremely high priced D-squad (when we were paying Buff, Enstrom,+++; don't recall but probably our d was getting 30+ easily) to our current $17,6. Take off Kulikov (as his days, certainly years, are numbered) and you're left with 13+ his replacement (probably a <1 mil ELC).

Given only two guys over 26, including Kuli @ 28, this is also a young squad. Teams have proved you don't need an offensive juggernaut to win it all, I'm OK with where this is going although I'd like to see them trade for a top for RHD.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Not a chance that Beaulieu @ 1 mil is a bad contract. Some are listing him as our third best D-man at the moment. if he's anywhere close to that & you get him for 1 mil, its a bargain man.

Well, I do agree with you that it's not a bad contract, as you really can't go wrong at $ 1 mil for a starting D-man. I was just expecting more from this player, and I doubt he sticks around that long.

Be great to see him live up to his draft pick selection, and have a great year for the Jets. I guess we'll see how he performs.

Since he's entered the NHL --he's being going backwards, in salary, and performance. He's got to turn things around.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
I'll certainly take it from you, but I definitely remember talk of his reduced impact. Weird.
Maybe you are thinking about his offensive production, that saw a gradual decline in each of his last seven NHL seasons (not including the lockout season).

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
As this thread drifts off into analytics of Enstrom, I'll say this about Beaulieu. We got him for a $1 million, same as Morrow last year. That's a better investment, as Beaulieu did not look terrible with Trouba, though I though Kulikov and Myers got more work because of Beaulieu in the lineup. His reads have always been questionable. The asset he brings that I like the most, is he can hit in the open ice. Chiarot was good at standing opposition up, but I think many fans noticed that he left a terrible gap defending, would often back into the circles leaving the goalie a difficult save. Beaulieu is a much more fluid skater, and should be able to defend better as a consequence.

Bane99

Jan 27, 2011
Meh, without Trouba he's going to look pretty bad. I'd rather give Poolman and our other draft picks a shot than wasting it on someone who looks like he's going to bust. If we're going to suck this year might as well give our young picks experience.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I'll certainly take it from you, but I definitely remember talk of his reduced impact. Weird.

Enstrom's second highest GAR relative to ice time as a Jet was his 2017-18 season, 2016-17 was his 4th highest.

I would argue that he's getting older, so his performance was likely to go down. I would also argue that his offensive impact was becoming worse, but his actual impact was being buoyed by his ever improving defensive impact.

Reactions: ps241

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Still think Chevy will try to deal Ehlers for a top 4 rhd.

Hutton couldn't hurt btw
This looks pretty painful to me...
upload_2019-7-5_14-50-16.png

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Enstrom's second highest GAR relative to ice time as a Jet was his 2017-18 season, 2016-17 was his 4th highest.

I would argue that he's getting older, so his performance was likely to go down. I would also argue that his offensive impact was becoming worse, but his actual impact was being buoyed by his ever improving defensive impact.

That's how I saw his results, but I have this bizarre false memory of you describing his general impact as falling to the third-pair level in his last season here.

Next you're going to tell me there was no horn on the fruit of the loom logo.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You find a few beers hurts your memory? They make mine better. Everything I can remember is better. :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You find a few beers hurts your memory? They make mine better. Everything I can remember is better. :laugh:

I become much better looking, funnier, and seem to dance better.

However my memory is worse and I struggle to not verbalize negative thoughts at Jets games. I really annoy myself at Jets games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Meh, without Trouba he's going to look pretty bad. I'd rather give Poolman and our other draft picks a shot than wasting it on someone who looks like he's going to bust. If we're going to suck this year might as well give our young picks experience.

Well you have to have guys in case of injuries because there usually isn’t much room to work if you have a couple of injuries to your defense. And that goes for most teams around the league.

Your bust comment seems kinda irrelevant and inaccurate at this point. Don’t think anyone is expecting a whole lot from him regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad