Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I didn't see him play this year but several posters have reported him being faster in the AHL. I hope it is true.

I don't think top end skating speed is a must. Quickness or shiftiness will do. I think he has that if he will just use it well. If he can do off-season work to increase lower body strength/speed/quickness it might make a huge difference to his career. MSL is the poster boy that Petan should try to emulate, IMO.

Agree. St. Louis was probably the fastest skater of his generation though. Guy was a bullet and a bull. Incredibly strong legs and core. A body like that would mean you have 100% dedication to the gym.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agree. St. Louis was probably the fastest skater of his generation though. Guy was a bullet and a bull. Incredibly strong legs and core. A body like that would mean you have 100% dedication to the gym.

:laugh: Yeah, Petan needn't go that far. But if he just tries that route, builds leg strength, great things could happen.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
:laugh: Yeah, Petan needn't go that far. But if he just tries that route, builds leg strength, great things could happen.

I agree. He needs to get there fast. His time is running out to snag a good spot on this roster. Especially with all the other guys competing for spots.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
He was listed at 5'9 - 160 at the combine.
Fabbri was 5'10- 165
Someone who was widley considered a better prospect even though he scored less on a better team. For some reason Point had a lot of doubt placed on him. He really shouldn't have. Warriors fans knew his two-way game was very strong to go along with his offensive game. He's also a speedster. It just one of those weird circumstances where I think he was heavily under scouted due to Moose Jaw not really having much else to view and being a bad team.

During the season he wasn't and I talked to a lot of scouts back then and they dismissed him as too small for this league. They totally missed the boat on him but I could understand there point of view though. For every Gallagher or Point that come out there are 20 other guys that don't pan out around that size. As a scout you never get in trouble drafting a player with size that doesn't pan out but you will if he is a player without size. But I bet that is changing nowadays

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
During the season he wasn't and I talked to a lot of scouts back then and they dismissed him as too small for this league. They totally missed the boat on him but I could understand there point of view though. For every Gallagher or Point that come out there are 20 other guys that don't pan out around that size. As a scout you never get in trouble drafting a player with size that doesn't pan out but you will if he is a player without size. But I bet that is changing nowadays

Yeah we can see it with the DeBrincat's and Yamamoto's finally going a bit higher than usual.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Bolded is true at every size.

The thing that stood out to me about point was how dependant his team was on him for offense. He was the clear driver. Any player who can do that at 17 deserves a lot of attention.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Bolded is true at every size.

The thing that stood out to me about point was how dependant his team was on him for offense. He was the clear driver. Any player who can do that at 17 deserves a lot of attention.

Yep, he was the best player on the team the moment he stepped out on the ice in that Warriors jersey. It wasn't even up for debate.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Stanley looked absolutely brutal in the highlights from todays Kitchener game. The Rangers forced game 7 , but I did not like what I saw.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Stanley looked absolutely brutal in the highlights from todays Kitchener game. The Rangers forced game 7 , but I did not like what I saw.
Probably because he plays a ton for Kitchener. I thought he had a better game yesterday then the one before. He is tasked with playing against top players. He is going to need to work this summer on his footspeed for sure if he wants to improve his game. Its strange sometimes physically he can just dominate someone out there and other teams he backs off, I just wonder if it is fatigue hitting him.

I hope they can beat the Soo but I am skeptical

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Kitchener has lost their series. I would like to see Stanley brought into the Moose organization and let him share the playoff experience with the team.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Kitchener has lost their series. I would like to see Stanley brought into the Moose organization and let him share the playoff experience with the team.

He's signed already, so as long as he's healthy I don't see why not.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
His shot is probably his best asset. He is also pretty good at getting it through. It will be interesting to see how he manages in the AHL where he will have to move more on the line to open up lanes.

His best assets are all offensive. Cam QB a PP too. The more I watch him the more I see a Myers like player.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Vesailainen has a contract until April 30. He wont be coming over this year.

Are you sure about that? I know KHL enforce a hard date. Does Liiga? Coouldn't the Jets just pay the transfer fee and bring him over if they chose to?

That is not an option with the KHL.

Edit: Also is it not May already?

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Sigh it's been a long couple of weeks, I completely blanked. Yeah Vesalainen is likely free and clear. But still, it's fairly rare for players to come over from Europe this late in the season. Kempe did it, but his season ended much earlier and he got into regular season games even with the Kings affiliate.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Sigh it's been a long couple of weeks, I completely blanked. Yeah Vesalainen is likely free and clear. But still, it's fairly rare for players to come over from Europe this late in the season. Kempe did it, but his season ended much earlier and he got into regular season games even with the Kings affiliate.

Yeah it’s unlikely but maybe they buy him an airline ticket to come experience the playoff atmosphere in Winnipeg as a spectator. IIRC they did that with Ehlers in 2015

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Won't they bring Stanley and Vesalainen to Wpg just to soak up the experience. Press box for the Moose at least.

Would be exiting to see a mirror of Laine/Byfuglien/Wheeler on the Moose PP with Vesalainen/Stanley/(but who would be the Wheeler, Lemiuex/Petan?).

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Would be exiting to see a mirror of Laine/Byfuglien/Wheeler on the Moose PP with Vesalainen/Stanley/(but who would be the Wheeler, Lemiuex/Petan?).

I think you go with a LD like Niku on that one as Vesalainen plays right point. Half wall guy would likely be Petan.

Reactions: FonRiesen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad