Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread (Part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The Hockey News' top 10 Jets prospects are as follows:

1 - Connor
2 - Armia
3 - Morrissey
4 - Dano
5 - Petan
6 - Comrie
7 - Lemieux
8 - Roslovic
9 - Poolman
10 - Lipon

I don't think that is far off. So obviously they have graduated Ehlers and Helly. This year's first will likely slide into 1 or 2 depending on lottery balls.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Sorry for the laziness - does anyone have Roslovic info or comparables? I know there is hype for Connor, but I feel like I don't know anything about Jack for being one of our first rounders.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Is Poolman that good? I've never seen him play.

My position has never changed on Poolman [mod]

By the eyetest, Poolman looks pretty great. He has the tools. He's solid with the puck, has a big shot, can skate, and has a size. He's also has scored.

That's the pros, so now to the cons... While Poolman does score, he has never really scored very well for his age. He's 22 already. Think of how overagers in the CHL always score well, but don't tend to go anywhere, but how young kids who score well in the CHL do. It's kind of the same with Poolman with getting the points, but didn't when he was younger.

The caveat to his scoring relative to age is that he tends to enter each league at an older age. He entered the USHL late, and he entered the NCAA late.

From what I've heard, the Jets like him. They also were reported in offering him a contract last summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

By the eyetest, Poolman looks pretty great. He has the tools. He's solid with the puck, has a big shot, can skate, and has a size. He's also has scored.

That's the pros, so now to the cons... While Poolman does score, he has never really scored very well for his age. He's 22 already. Think of how overagers in the CHL always score well, but don't tend to go anywhere, but how young kids who score well in the CHL do. It's kind of the same with Poolman with getting the points, but didn't when he was younger.

The caveat to his scoring relative to age is that he tends to enter each league at an older age. He entered the USHL late, and he entered the NCAA late.

From what I've heard, the Jets like him. They also were reported in offering him a contract last summer.

Well, I had him in my head as a prospect that I shouldn't really care about, so this is a ringing endorsement from that perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

We should sign him when he's 30.

folix

Jul 24, 2011

Well being a defensman thats really a secondary concern given our current line up, I think his biggest problem is that he too suffers from that common Jets draft pick birth defect in that he shoots....right.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Well being a defensman thats really a secondary concern given our current line up, I think his biggest problem is that he too suffers from that common Jets draft pick birth defect in that he shoots....right.

Even defensive defencemen tend to score well at lower levels, defencemen who can't put up points at lower levels often have trouble becoming NHL players even in a bottom pairing defensive role.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Vlassic, Foote, Hahuis, Mitchell, etc. etc.

If you are good enough player to play the game effectively, you were likely good enough to score substantially at a lower level. So that's why on the general scoring relative to age should be a primary concern, in general.

He is a right shooter but he's been playing the left side as of late, much like Trouba has been.
In many ways, this makes the Jets defensive group far more fluid.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I'm also a concerned by his late development and doubt that he'll end up being an impact NHLer, but there are examples of bona fide "late bloomers".

Poolman:

Age, League, PPG, NHLE
19, USHL, 0.44, 10
20, USHL, 0.71, 16
21, NCAA, 0.45, 15
22, NCAA, 0.66, 22

????:

Age, League, PPG, NHLE
18, AJHL, 0.79, 10
19, NCAA, 0.52, 18
20, NCAA, 0.70, 24
21, NCAA, 0.68, 23

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
Re Poolman

One other attribute. In summer league out west last year, he showed great vision hitting forwards on long breakout passes. This is something that is very effective when you have speedy forwards like the Jets do. (Ehlers, Wheeler, Scheifele, Connor etc). Also, since he is back to his natural position (defence) goal scoring is probably less important than defending ability which looks to be pretty decent. The key will be can he do this at a higher level.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Connor interview was pretty forgettable. Sounded like scripted answers to not show his hand about turning pro or not. Seems like a nice kid though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Connor interview was pretty forgettable. Sounded like scripted answers to not show his hand about turning pro or not. Seems like a nice kid though.

Hard to expect anything else. He's certainly not going to tip his hand about turning pro until after his season with his current team is completed.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I'm also a concerned by his late development and doubt that he'll end up being an impact NHLer, but there are examples of bona fide "late bloomers".

Poolman:

Age, League, PPG, NHLE
19, USHL, 0.44, 10
20, USHL, 0.71, 16
21, NCAA, 0.45, 15
22, NCAA, 0.66, 22

????:

Age, League, PPG, NHLE
18, AJHL, 0.79, 10
19, NCAA, 0.52, 18
20, NCAA, 0.70, 24
21, NCAA, 0.68, 23

The suspense is killing me.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Regarding Poolman, it's unreal that we are even talking about this guy! A few posters, and myself included were laughed at by many band wagon jumpers now, when we mentioned him as having potential the last few years, and talked about how he stood out at dev camp. Just us talking about him making some noise is a win for a late pick. Most people didn't think much of him, and now I think he has a chance to show his stuff in the AHL and go from there. He may be the next Jason Gregoire, he may play a few NHL games, or he may be an NHL regular. Im personally just glad he's being talked about!

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Add me to the list of people who felt a long while back that Poolman has potential, even when others laughed it off. I happen to thing the same about Karlstrom - there is something very intriguing about his game too.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I think many people agreed he was intriguing but wondered how much you could read into his success because of his age relative to the level of league. I personally think it's still a huge question, perhaps we will get a better idea if he plays for the Moose next year.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
What about Jack Glover? Any chance of him becoming an NHLer? Looks like a defensive defenseman with size.

His transition to college has been a lot rockier than people (like me for example) expected. He has started to have his game come around but it's still a long way off. 2 more years in college to even earn a contract. He is ahead of say a Brendan Serville or Aaron Harstad at the same age by a fair margin, but that's not much of a measure. He is still a project player (much as he was on draft day).

He hits hard, good skater, can make a nice pass, but he hasn't really found consistency or maybe doesn't have the hockey IQ I thought he did. We'll see he still has the skills to be a player and is still quite young (for example a Tucker Poolman at the same age wasn't even in college yet).

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Add me to the list of people who felt a long while back that Poolman has potential, even when others laughed it off. I happen to thing the same about Karlstrom - there is something very intriguing about his game too.

Agreed till karlstrom. Never thought he showed any potential.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Always really liked Poolman and thought he would eventually get a shot. Never liked the Glover pick. Not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad