Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread (Part XVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Rimouski lost 3-4.

I only watched the third period. I didn't like Kostalek's defensive positioning very much. Left the impression that he was floating around, not knowing where to go sometimes. The rest was good.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
For a guy who I doubt most ever thought would have much in the way of offensive impact Kostalek looks pretty darn good on a powerplay.

I'm getting more excited about this guy all the time. Yes, he does look pretty fine on the point. I don't expect to see him in Wpg next season......but I'm pretty sure he can compete for a job.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I'm getting more excited about this guy all the time. Yes, he does look pretty fine on the point. I don't expect to see him in Wpg next season......but I'm pretty sure he can compete for a job.

Wow, you're very pessimistic.

Or maybe you just forgot that our AHL team plays in Winnipeg next season :)

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Wow, you're very pessimistic.

Or maybe you just forgot that our AHL team plays in Winnipeg next season :)

:handclap: .... good one

I think we have to push for our HF posters to start saying Down in Manitoba and up with Winnipeg (even though it is one and the same).

I am going to miss saying we sent our prospect xyz down to "The Rock" for more seasoning, It sounds like we are sending them to a prison.......... Maybe that is why Telegin fled as he thought he was being sent to a Canada Gulag, :sarcasm:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Missed the first period but IMO Morrissey was one of Kelowna's best players (along with Merkely and Chartrand?) in period 2 and 3. Broke up several odd man rushes, great positional play, quick transition game, created a few good scoring chances...

Agreed. I think he's still dealing a little with whatever leg injury he had as well.

I thought Bowey didn't play very well, and Draisaitl was a little underwhelming. He looked sluggish to me, and completely gave up on more than one backcheck.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed. I think he's still dealing a little with whatever leg injury he had as well.

I thought Bowey didn't play very well, and Draisaitl was a little underwhelming. He looked sluggish to me, and completely gave up on more than one backcheck.

Draisaitl's skating is going to be an issue at the next level if he doesn't improve it.

Looking forward to the Jets dmen battle tonight. Both teams need the win.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Rimouski lost 3-4.

I only watched the third period. I didn't like Kostalek's defensive positioning very much. Left the impression that he was floating around, not knowing where to go sometimes. The rest was good.

I thought he was quite good until they started chasing the game (after it was 4-3). Jan plays a really smart game and I think he picks his spots pretty well IMO. Most of the time they there D zone coverage is man on man and I thought he tracked his check really well. Where their system looked more challenged was when this broke down and it was every man for himself, that left a few of the boys hanging at times.

Really looking forward to the game tonight. Most likely the loser is going home so this is massive.

Last edited:

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg

Agree with both. Morrissey looked to be making minimal movements at times in the d-zone. Still played really well despite it.

Draisaitl has looked sluggish to me all playoffs as well. He's not quick at all but he seems good at puck protection.

I was watching Hunter Smith too because I remember him from one of the Young Stars tournaments. If people thought Lowry's skating was bad... he's on a whole other level of bad.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
After watching another Rockets game I thought Morrissey was just ok again.

I don't know his health status (I read an article somewhere that he was nursing a leg injury), but in the last few games I've watched of his, he doesn't seem as dynamic as he was when playing on the Ice Caps a year ago.

Maybe I am miss-remembering, but I thought his game looked much better then, compared to the last few I've seen.

Thoughts?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
After watching another Rockets game I thought Morrissey was just ok again.

I don't know his health status (I read an article somewhere that he was nursing a leg injury), but in the last few games I've watched of his, he doesn't seem as dynamic as he was when playing on the Ice Caps a year ago.

Maybe I am miss-remembering, but I thought his game looked much better then, compared to the last few I've seen.

Thoughts?

He played a fairly conservative game for much of the night, until the 3rd when he started to ramp it up offensively.

His play is very subtle, but he almost always makes the right read and his passing is sublime. He hits the right player at the right time with the right pass very consistently.

I think he'll need to ramp up his intensity if he's going to make the Jets out of camp. I think Maurice wants players to be playing more quickly and aggressively to cut down time and space, and Morrissey doesn't do that consistently.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
He played a fairly conservative game for much of the night, until the 3rd when he started to ramp it up offensively.

His play is very subtle, but he almost always makes the right read and his passing is sublime. He hits the right player at the right time with the right pass very consistently.

I think he'll need to ramp up his intensity if he's going to make the Jets out of camp. I think Maurice wants players to be playing more quickly and aggressively to cut down time and space, and Morrissey doesn't do that consistently.

I saw some of that, but that's not what I'm really saying. His passing skills are still good, but I've noticed some things in his skating that seem off.

There have been plays that he's been making that I never saw him make before. One of his strengths is his skating, and I've thought in the past when watching him in things like the World Juniors and on the Ice Caps, that while his speed is good, I've like his agility, and ability to move laterally with speed when defending.

I've noticed on more than one occasion in the last few games where he's had a player coming down on him in a one on one situation and he's been struggling to transition when the player goes wide. And these are not even fast wingers I would say for the most part.

Skating the puck out of the zone and starting rushes I think he still looked pretty good. Something just seemed off with his ability to defend to me and it kind of stuck out because it didn't seem to jive with how I remembered him on the World Juniors, or playing against men on the Ice Caps.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I saw some of that, but that's not what I'm really saying. His passing skills are still good, but I've noticed some things in his skating that seem off.

There have been plays that he's been making that I never saw him make before. One of his strengths is his skating, and I've thought in the past when watching him in things like the World Juniors and on the Ice Caps, that while his speed is good, I've like his agility, and ability to move laterally with speed when defending.

I've noticed on more than one occasion in the last few games where he's had a player coming down on him in a one on one situation and he's been struggling to transition when the player goes wide. And these are not even fast wingers I would say for the most part.

Skating the puck out of the zone and starting rushes I think he still looked pretty good. Something just seemed off with his ability to defend to me and it kind of stuck out because it didn't seem to jive with how I remembered him on the World Juniors, or playing against men on the Ice Caps.

Someone on a message board mentioned that he was playing through a significant injury during the WHL playoffs. I think his leg injury is still hampering him, remember he came back only to play bits of a few games at the start.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Someone on a message board mentioned that he was playing through a significant injury during the WHL playoffs. I think his leg injury is still hampering him, remember he came back only to play bits of a few games at the start.

That's what it looks like to me when watching him. I posted above about wondering about his leg injury. I think it kept him out for 5 weeks between February 28 until I believe the start of the playoffs in early April. Just seems like he can't do the things that I think he could do in the World Juniors and the AHL.

http://thehockeywriters.com/memorial-cup-primer-getting-to-know-the-kelowna-rockets/

"He’s been hobbled by a lingering leg injury throughout playoffs, but still produced at a point-per-game clip — 14 points (2g, 12a) in 13 games — including a 5-point outburst in the series-clincher against Victoria."

jetkarma*

That's what it looks like to me when watching him. I posted above about wondering about his leg injury. I think it kept him out for 5 weeks between February 28 until I believe the start of the playoffs in early April. Just seems like he can't do the things that I think he could do in the World Juniors and the AHL.

http://thehockeywriters.com/memorial-cup-primer-getting-to-know-the-kelowna-rockets/

"He’s been hobbled by a lingering leg injury throughout playoffs, but still produced at a point-per-game clip — 14 points (2g, 12a) in 13 games — including a 5-point outburst in the series-clincher against Victoria."

It could be injury related but he hasn't played very well imo , nothing like he did in the WJC .

I hope there is a concrete reason , he did not look nor play very well in the young stars tournament either , maybe a reason for that too , but ...

He needs time off , rest and then getting prepared for the pros . We'll be able to monitor him , which will be a plus but it will initially be for the Moose , pretty certain of that. That isn't a bad thing of course , but there are a couple of other rookies that are more likely to make the parent team imo .

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
It could be injury related but he hasn't played very well imo , nothing like he did in the WJC .

I hope there is a concrete reason , he did not look nor play very well in the young stars tournament either , maybe a reason for that too , but ...

He needs time off , rest and then getting prepared for the pros . We'll be able to monitor him , which will be a plus but it will initially be for the Moose , pretty certain of that. That isn't a bad thing of course , but there are a couple of other rookies that are more likely to make the parent team imo .

Agreed JK. Unless he has an amazing camp I see him starting on the Moose and the Jets either moving a RHD over to the left (if Buff is re-signed) or rolling with Chariot or Stuart in the second spot (hopefully Chariot).

I don't think they will rush Josh.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed JK. Unless he has an amazing camp I see him starting on the Moose and the Jets either moving a RHD over to the left (if Buff is re-signed) or rolling with Chariot or Stuart in the second spot (hopefully Chariot).

I have resigned myself to that as well. I actually find myself agreeing with Lawless in that he wasn't best served going back to junior this year. Sure there was the WJC and his perseverance during the WHL playoffs to play well and help lead his team to a title despite being injured so there were positives, but he would have been far better off playing in the AHL.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I think Morrissey is still a top-end player. His skills are very good, and he has very high hockey IQ. He also plays with a bit of an edge. I just think that his style is so smooth and cerebral that he doesn't stand out as a difference maker. I watched him closely in the game last night and even though he didn't stand out, his reads and plays with the puck were high level. He might lack a bit of mobility and physicality due to injuries, but you can see that he's got very good skills and hockey sense. If he comes to camp with a bit more snort, I think he could make the team out of camp.

jetkarma*

Injuries are part of the answer , how much isn't known though .

I think he had the pro hangover , not unlike many other players have had . Like Petan , he needs to move up in class , if Ehlers doesn't make the Jets next year ( I think he will ) he may have this issue as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig