Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread (Part XVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
He looked fine on the wing (and on lower lines) at the WJC and while it's true he hasn't proven capable, he hasn't really had much chance to show it off. You'd be mad not to play him as your top C in the WHL with how he produces.

Agreed on that no doubt. However I disagree with your assessment of his play on wing at WJC. His positioning was off and he just didn't look as comfortable, IMO. We'll see if he can adapt going forward (or hell if he even needs to adapt). Lower lines WJC =/ lower line NHL. Different format, different skillset, etc. Again we'll see if he even needs that adaptability. He might be able to jump straight from AHL top C to NHL #2 C after a year or two. Who knows.

If Petan can be like Perreault I call it a win. Honestly I don't see that much difference between a Perreault or Descharnais anyways besides the adaptability of Perreault and perhaps Descharnais being better defensively. Either way I still think people putting him in the roster next year are wrong. Perreault played 166 games in AHL and Desharnais played 68 in ECHL and 183 games in AHL.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Petan reminds me a lot of our own Perreault.

Strong playmaker and slick skater, albeit not quite a burner. Shooting is also underrated, although plays a pass first game. Feisty as well and doesn't shy away from the net or the boards despite size disadvantage. Good 5 on 5, but can make magic on a PP.

I think Petan looks like he might have higher hockey IQ than Perreault. It's a bit difficult to think of a comparable. His success will depend a lot on usage, like all smaller skilled players.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Speaking of our young players, I'm really looking forward to catching Morrissey in the memorial cup tonight!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Screw emoticons. I just assume that everyone's speaking sarcastically. It makes serious conversations pretty damn funny on here.

I like that. If you assume I'm being sarcastic that means I don't like it. Unless I'm being sarcastic now. :laugh:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed on that no doubt. However I disagree with your assessment of his play on wing at WJC. His positioning was off and he just didn't look as comfortable, IMO. We'll see if he can adapt going forward (or hell if he even needs to adapt). Lower lines WJC =/ lower line NHL. Different format, different skillset, etc. Again we'll see if he even needs that adaptability. He might be able to jump straight from AHL top C to NHL #2 C after a year or two. Who knows.

If Petan can be like Perreault I call it a win. Honestly I don't see that much difference between a Perreault or Descharnais anyways besides the adaptability of Perreault and perhaps Descharnais being better defensively. Either way I still think people putting him in the roster next year are wrong. Perreault played 166 games in AHL and Desharnais played 68 in ECHL and 183 games in AHL.

Agree with the Petan Perreault comparable and I have made it a few times myself. Also agree Petan will benefit learning his way one step at a time. IMO we have one heck of a second round steal. Let's just let him develop and learn and just maybe in a couple years we have a dynamic top 6 point getter.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Much like the hate I get for suggesting I think Petan projects more as a Descharnais than a Tyler Johnson (and that's in 2 years, not immediately). The vocal minority that loves the prospect will always get in arms about it. In fact I expect this post alone will ruffle quite a few feathers.

It's not hate - I just think it's a stupid opinion

Petan plays nothing like Desharnais

I'd also be shocked if Petan produced like Johnson

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
No words at all about Morrissey last night?

Kelowna lost 4-3 to #JustWinz, Morrissey with 1 A.

Not that the main board is any barometer but Bowey got hugely panned and most posters expected more from Josh or they I guess it sounded like a few posters thought he needed to step up his game. I couldn't keep my eyes open long enough to watch more than 10 minutes (I had it on PVR and tried to watch it later) but in that stretch Kelowna looked out of sync.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Saw just a few minutes of the game. Kelowna on PP, JM quarterbacking, making really sloooooow passes, about the speed of a curling draw. What's with that? Then Quebec rushes it out and JM steps up at his blue line to make a hit a la Mark Stuart -- and completely misses the guy. Not his or his team's best game I guess, although his assist was worthy.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Saw just a few minutes of the game. Kelowna on PP, JM quarterbacking, making really sloooooow passes, about the speed of a curling draw. What's with that? Then Quebec rushes it out and JM steps up at his blue line to make a hit a la Mark Stuart -- and completely misses the guy. Not his or his team's best game I guess, although his assist was worthy.

I saw that bad sequence it was very early in the game. Kelowna was totally out of whack for that stretch and Quebec was owning them.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Sounds like Morrissey's typically slow start at every level of play, now at the Memorial Cup.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Sounds like Morrissey's typically slow start at every level of play, now at the Memorial Cup.

I didn't see enough but he didn't look too bad at all from what I saw, it's mostly that I think posters were expecting more. Bowey looked bad.

jetdiehard

Jun 14, 2014
Winnipeg
Looking forward to the Frozen Four.jets have Poolman-Glover-Phillips playing in it this year.
Three very good hockey players.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Missed the first period but IMO Morrissey was one of Kelowna's best players (along with Merkely and Chartrand?) in period 2 and 3. Broke up several odd man rushes, great positional play, quick transition game, created a few good scoring chances...

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Missed the first period but IMO Morrissey was one of Kelowna's best players (along with Merkely and Chartrand?) in period 2 and 3. Broke up several odd man rushes, great positional play, quick transition game, created a few good scoring chances...

This sums up my opinion on his game as well. I thought the Rockets as a whole looked very rusty and were sloppy, granted they hadn't played in 10 days.

Josh like the rest of his team had a rough first period and ran around a bit like the rest of his team, missed some passes. He did pull himself out of position to try to land that hit which lead to a chance against.

Other than that play in the he seemed to get his game back on track and was quickly turning the play up the ice quickly and was very strong in his own end. In the late third they put Bowy and him together and Josh started activating regularly on the rush, problem was that Bowy was a train wreck and the forward who was supposed to cover for Josh never really did, which lead to a few odd man chances the other way.

All in all I thought he had a good game other than the first period and the ill advised hit attempt. The Rockets have hopefully kicked the cobwebs off now and will be ready to go next game.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
early goal for Oshawa :( They came out flying. Kostalek on the ice but not his fault at all.

'edit'

and 2-0 Oshawa. Dal Colle scored.

'edit'

2-1 - big goal for Rimourski. Oshawa still owning them most of the first period though

and 2-2 just seconds after. I have no idea why :laugh:

Last edited:

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
For a guy who I doubt most ever thought would have much in the way of offensive impact Kostalek looks pretty darn good on a powerplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad