Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread (Part XIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I hope the Jets sign Kostalek, by all accounts he has been one of the top D men in the Q this year

I've said for at least the past year I find I am more impressed with Kostalek than Sam Morin on that Rimouski team. Everytime I watch them I am more impressed with Kostalek. Morin has the size and skating to have a much higher upside than Kostalek, but Kostalek is so smooth and smart that he is a much safer bet, IMO.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I've said for at least the past year I find I am more impressed with Kostalek than Sam Morin on that Rimouski team. Everytime I watch them I am more impressed with Kostalek. Morin has the size and skating to have a much higher upside than Kostalek, but Kostalek is so smooth and smart that he is a much safer bet, IMO.

You've been high on Kostalek for some time, and he certainly seems to be turning into a very promising prospect. I love smooth, smart defensemen that are efficient more than flashy. If he turns into a legit NHL prospect, that will be a great bonus for the Jets' pipeline.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
You've been high on Kostalek for some time, and he certainly seems to be turning into a very promising prospect. I love smooth, smart defensemen that are efficient more than flashy. If he turns into a legit NHL prospect, that will be a great bonus for the Jets' pipeline.

Had him as a mid-3rd rounder going into his draft year. Had seen him listed as high at mid-second in places. I dropped him since in my limited viewings he didn't stand out. He is just not the player who stands out, he does his job well, smart, and error free. You need to see him more and more to fully understand how good he is. Since Jets took him I watched him more and he impresses me more and more.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Had him as a mid-3rd rounder going into his draft year. Had seen him listed as high at mid-second in places. I dropped him since in my limited viewings he didn't stand out. He is just not the player who stands out, he does his job well, smart, and error free. You need to see him more and more to fully understand how good he is. Since Jets took him I watched him more and he impresses me more and more.

In that sense, he sounds like a certain diminutive back-bone of the defensive corps we all know and love (at least since his scoring fell off).

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Ehlers is still factoring in on a very high proportion of the Halifax goals. His PPG is over 0.61 of the team's goals/game. That is an extremely high level of offensive contribution relative to his team. As a comparison:

Ehlers: 0.615
McDavid: 0.546
Marner: 0.478
Dal Colle: 0.410
Virtanen :)naughty:): 0.259

Hey man you should know I am just being unfair! It's cuz I love the kid, im like the parent who is never satisfied :laugh:

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I saw a tweet from a Steelheads follower saying that Lodge will be back in for Sunday's game. So if what was recorded was supposed to be a mandatory 10 game it was either appealed or entered in error.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

Sounds a lot like a poor man's Vlasic. If so, I'd be thrilled. Do their playing styles compare at all?

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I've been compiling goal videos for Lemieux to put in a highlight video. He is a master of puck tipping. I swear 75% of his goals are tips, most of them being on the PP. He just parks himself in front of the net and waits. Feisty and scrappy guy so doesn't mind the abuse I guess.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I've been compiling goal videos for Lemieux to put in a highlight video. He is a master of puck tipping. I swear 75% of his goals are tips, most of them being on the PP. He just parks himself in front of the net and waits. Feisty and scrappy guy so doesn't mind the abuse I guess.

Good. We could use our own Tomas Holmstrom.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Was watching a bit and it is pretty pretty fun watching Morrissey....there are smart hockey players and then there is Josh :amazed:

just to be clear you think Josh is smart right?

It's not sarcasm like

It's pretty fun watching Morrissey :shakehead..there are smart hockey players and then there is Josh :shakehead

pretty sure you think Josh is smart ;)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Didn't look smart taking that penalty. Looked like an typical Jet trip though ;)

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
One of my favourite stats to follow is % of a teams goals that a particular player participates in.Ie: player has 50 points in the season and team scores 150 goals for the season, the player is thus in on 33.3% of the teams goals.
It's a great stat to compare prospects as far as how much they carry their team and if they're a driver or perhaps more of a passenger. Of course it's not perfect as some players continue to develop and others stall, but interesting nonetheless.

Looking at draft +2 years, here are the results: I threw in a couple vets for comparison.

Scheifele: 50%
Lowry 43.3%
Lipon 41.2%
Kosmachuk 29.9%
Little: 47.3% (Draft +1 year)
Perreault 43.3%
Petan 39%
Ehlers 63% (draft +1 year)

A couple things stand out. Of course Ehlers' numbers are absolutely insane.
Petan is lower than what you'd probably expect.
Kosmachuk had a great season but was obviously on a great team so his numbers are lower than what I would have thought.
Little was VERY good even in his draft +1 year.

I'm not sure how you can look at those numbers and not give Ehlers every chance to make this team next year.

(Note: I took the average number of goals scored by the team and adjusted it to reflect the number of games played by the player rather than going through every single game of each player). So the percentages won't be exact, but very close).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
One of my favourite stats to follow is % of a teams goals that a particular player participates in.Ie: player has 50 points in the season and team scores 150 goals for the season, the player is thus in on 33.3% of the teams goals.
It's a great stat to compare prospects as far as how much they carry their team and if they're a driver or perhaps more of a passenger. Of course it's not perfect as some players continue to develop and others stall, but interesting nonetheless.

Looking at draft +2 years, here are the results: I threw in a couple vets for comparison.

Scheifele: 50%
Lowry 43.3%
Lipon 41.2%
Kosmachuk 29.9%
Little: 47.3% (Draft +1 year)
Perreault 43.3%
Petan 39%
Ehlers 63% (draft +1 year)

A couple things stand out. Of course Ehlers' numbers are absolutely insane.
Petan is lower than what you'd probably expect.
Kosmachuk had a great season but was obviously on a great team so his numbers are lower than what I would have thought.
Little was VERY good even in his draft +1 year.

I'm not sure how you can look at those numbers and not give Ehlers every chance to make this team next year.

(Note: I took the average number of goals scored by the team and adjusted it to reflect the number of games played by the player rather than going through every single game of each player). So the percentages won't be exact, but very close).

I also like this measure as a way to show how well a player is producing relative to the team.

I recently showed that Ehlers is leading the CHL in this aspect this year, ahead of McDavid, Marner, etc.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I also like this measure as a way to show how well a player is producing relative to the team.

I recently showed that Ehlers is leading the CHL in this aspect this year, ahead of McDavid, Marner, etc.

Its an interesting measure certainly. Don't ignore the fact that McDavid etc are in their draft year and Ehlers is in draft +1 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad