Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread (Part XIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Agree but beyond that he would need to take a job away from another C. There is some doubt about whether they would keep him in Wpg. to play 3 min/gm on the 4th line. Or, if they keep him do they improve the 4th line and give them more time? There is also the possibility that Copp takes the 4C job. He may play wing simply because that is where the need is.

If Petan's game translates well enough that he is an effective NHL scorer, some here won't like it but, he pushes Lowry down a line or to the wing. Again if he becomes an NHL regular he will likely have to be effective in the vein of Ennis, St Louis, Roy, etc. those are/were way better players than either Lowry or Copp project to be so he takes one of those spots (or he could potentially just move to the wing because he can and Scheifele + Little are better C's)

Last edited:

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
No argument from me there! There is a question though whether the Jets and Muarice in particular are prepared to go that direction. So far he has elected to play the facepunchers over better hockey players. Swapping Slater and Petan while keeping Peluso and Thor on the wings is still a 3 min line and the rookie probably won't be as good a FO man as Slater. Petan - Copp - O'Dell might be a pretty good 10 minute 4th line. 3 centres! :laugh: :)

Maurice's apparent obsession with non effective and non skilled players who happen to big but are so brutal at the NHL level their size means basically nothing, worries me a bit TBH. Lets hope he can adapt and figure it out because Chevy and TNSE seem committed to picking the best players in the draft regardless of size. A lot of other teams also seem to be realizing the market efficiency that is size I hope we don't go back the other way because of Paul's desired "playing style".

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Maurice's apparent obsession with non effective and non skilled players who happen to big but are so brutal at the NHL level their size means basically nothing, worries me a bit TBH. Lets hope he can adapt and figure it out because Chevy and TNSE seem committed to picking the best players in the draft regardless of size. A lot of other teams also seem to be realizing the market efficiency that is size I hope we don't go back the other way because of Paul's desired "playing style".

So much of this. I have been reticent on openly evaluating Maurice around here so far, but his roster decisions are highly suspect. Far too often we are icing a sub-optimal team, because the coach prefers large bad players like Thorburn, Peluso, Pardy.Buff scores near the level of Thorburn as a forward. You know who doesn't score that terribly at forward? Galiardi. Playing Buff at forward last night was incredibly bad. I don't think Stafford is better than Frolik.

Our coach takes out an elite defenseman, replaces with Pardy and puts in a 3rd-4th liner (Buff @ FW). Hmmmmmm, something smells. I am concerned that many of our best prospects are undersized with this coach.

Last edited:

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
So much of this. I have been reticent on openly evaluating Maurice around here so far, but his roster decisions are highly suspect. Far to often we are icing a sub-optimal, because the coach prefers large bad players like Thorburn, Peluso, Pardy.Buff scores near the level of Thorburn as a forward. You who doesn't score that terribly at forward? Galiardi. Playing Buff at forward last night was incredibly bad. I don't think Stafford is better than Frolik.

Our coach takes out an elite defenseman, replaces with Pardy and puts in a 3rd-4th liner (Buff @ FW). Hmmmmmm, something smells. I am concerned that many of our best prospects are undersized with this coach.

I think he was basically void of and invulnerable to any criticism at the beginning of the season because the team was playing really well and we were getting incredible goaltending. Now that mood has changed a bit I think people are less oblivious to some of Paul's flaws pointed out by Carolina and Toronto fans. Not that I don't think he is a good coach but he isn't perfect that's for sure.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I think he was basically void of and invulnerable to any criticism at the beginning of the season because the team was playing really well and we were getting incredible goaltending. Now that mood has changed a bit I think people are less oblivious to some of Paul's flaws pointed out by Carolina and Toronto fans. Not that I don't think he is a good coach but he isn't perfect that's for sure.

I think NHL coaching structure in general is setup for failure. Command & control management is inefficient as it puts too much control with a single person. Why the HC by default has final say on all coaching related decisions is asking for trouble at this level. When coaches display the same flaws in strategy or tactics or management or all the above, why keep giving them say over these things if they don't improve them? It's a pretty bizarre field to be in.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I think NHL coaching structure in general is setup for failure. Command & control management is inefficient as it puts too much control with a single person. Why the HC by default has final say on all coaching related decisions is asking for trouble at this level. When coaches display the same flaws in strategy or tactics or management or all the above, why keep giving them say over these things if they don't improve them? It's a pretty bizarre field to be in.

I've often wondered that as well, I guess the default response would be that "too many cooks in the kitchen" isn't a good thing either. I agree though, very strange field.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I've often wondered that as well, I guess the default response would be that "too many cooks in the kitchen" isn't a good thing either. I agree though, very strange field.

That quote is a non sequitur. A team of experts each have a role, i.e. they aren't all cooks.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

How do you know how much control Maurice keeps and how much he delegates to his assitants? Somebody has to have final say in the end. There is a whole staff involved in most decisions IMO

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
How do you know how much control Maurice keeps and how much he delegates to his assitants? Somebody has to have final say in the end. There is a whole staff involved in most decisions IMO

What does delegating have to do with anything? [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
This years development camp will be a fun one. Ehlers, morissey, petan, helly, comrie, our two first rounders this year just to name a few will be fun to watch. Hope Copp makes it out this time.(jetkarma, aren't u his agent, is he coming) :)

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
What does delegating have to do with anything? [mod]

Everything. You say you don't like the command structure of the coaching staff, but you know nothing about how it's structured. Maybe Maurice is a control freak micro manager, but maybe he's not.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
This years development camp will be a fun one. Ehlers, morissey, petan, helly, comrie, our two first rounders this year just to name a few will be fun to watch. Hope Copp makes it out this time.(jetkarma, aren't u his agent, is he coming) :)

Plus 2 1 st rounders from this years draft..... I do not think He'll of a goalie will be invited to summer camp after the record amount of games he is playing in the A H L

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Everything. You say you don't like the command structure of the coaching staff, but you know nothing about how it's structured. Maybe Maurice is a control freak micro manager, but maybe he's not.

Delegating proves my point. I am not sure what you are on about here. I said NHL coaching as a whole. I am pretty sure I know what I was saying. Please read what I said again.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Delegating proves my point. I am not sure what you are on about here. I said NHL coaching as a whole. I am pretty sure I know what I was saying. Please read what I said again.

I don't really know what your point was TBH.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I don't really know what your point was TBH.

Then why not ask me to clarify or expand? It's obvious big league coaches make the same mistakes over and over. Why does their job remain the same? Why are they given control over things they've demonstrated a lack of proficiency at?

jetkarma*

We all know NCAA athletes can't have agents :)

My take is it is pretty much 50/50 on whether he comes out or not. Personally I really believe the Jets would prefer that option but less so that Copp does.

If I had to say what I think will happen I would have to say I tend to think he stays for his final year although I would not make that choice if I was him or was advising him. But he really is a Michigan kid and I think that weighs heavily for him to elect to complete his four years.

IMO it's pretty clear the Jets have a place in mind for him and he may need ( maybe likely ) Some AHL time so I would do that sooner than later. I could see him needing only half year or so of a seasoning and there is as we all know room for better players in the Jets bottom 6. I'd like him to play a pro schedule , move past the college game one and think he would benefit from that.

Last edited by a moderator:

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
We all know NCAA athletes can't have agents :)

My take is it is pretty much 50/50 on whether he comes out or not. Personally I really believe the Jets would prefer that option but less so that Copp does.

If I had to say what I think will happen I would have to say I tend to think he stays for his final year although I would not make that choice if I was him or was advising him. But he really is a Michigan kid and I think that weighs heavily for him to elect to complete his four years.

IMO it's pretty clear the Jets have a place in mind for him and he may need ( maybe likely ) Some AHL time so I would do that sooner than later. I could see him needing only half or so of a seasoning and there is as we all know room for better players in thenJets bottom 6. I'd like him to play a pro schedule , move past the college game one and think he would benefit from that.

Sounds like you've seen him play a lot this year, who have his line mates been for the most part? Where is his scoring coming from? PP, EV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->