Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread (Part XIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I'm so glad we didn't take Ritchie. Ehlers looks like a real special player. He has some baking to do in the oven, but my goodness, what a ridiculously high skill player.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
vevk76.png

The fact that Ehlers is even up there with so few games played is pretty awesome.

He's not even that far off the top 3 wit A LOT of games in hand.

But Ehlers also taking a lot of penalties, most of them are unsportsmanlike or roughing :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm so glad we didn't take Ritchie. Ehlers looks like a real special player. He has some baking to do in the oven, but my goodness, what a ridiculously high skill player.

I was sitting at the draft with some people from the Stars and when it came to our turn they were thinking we would take Ritchie and I was saying I hope not and said I was REALLY hoping for Ehlers. You never know with Ritchie but I hate guys that lack consistency of effort. At his size and skill Ritchie should be dominating kids in the OHL but he's just not there. Ehlers is so much more dynamic.

I guess you never know what will happen in the future but for now I feel like if the roles were reversed and we had taken Ritchie I would be pi55ed and really jealous.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011

At my casual 2014 draft party at my house ( 6 friends)....... we were split 3 for Ehlers and 2 for Ritchie ........

The 6 th person did not vote due to lack of knowledge on the prospects. (came for the beer and appetizers)

I am more and more pleased with the pick. Ehlers is having a heck of a draft +1 year. I like the high character vibe he has (similar to Schief & Morrisey). :handclap:

edit ........ I should say I was strongly in the Ehlers camp at that time.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
At my casual 2014 draft party at my house ( 6 friends)....... we were split 3 for Ehlers and 2 for Ritchie ........

The 6 th person did not vote due to lack of knowledge on the prospects. (came for the beer and appetizers)

I am more and more pleased with the pick. Ehlers is having a heck of a draft +1 year. I like the high character vibe he has (similar to Schief & Morrisey). :handclap:

edit ........ I should say I was strongly in the Ehlers camp at that time.

Yea there have been two picks I was over the moon on during our drafts at the moment they were picked and that was Trouba and Ehlers. I sure hope the latter works out like the former.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Yea there have been two picks I was over the moon on during our drafts at the moment they were picked and that was Trouba and Ehlers. I sure hope the latter works out like the former.

Trouba hasn't really shown anything yet :sarcasm:
I really think that the Jets are getting a nice mix of size which was evident last night, speed, and now skill with Petan and Ehlers in the mix next season. I was thrilled with Ehlers as well, but will admit wanted Couturier or Hamilton and Forsberg and Mantha the other years. But prefer our picks by a mile now.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Trouba hasn't really shown anything yet :sarcasm:
I really think that the Jets are getting a nice mix of size which was evident last night, speed, and now skill with Petan and Ehlers in the mix next season. I was thrilled with Ehlers as well, but will admit wanted Couturier or Hamilton and Forsberg and Mantha the other years. But prefer our picks by a mile now.

The thing that works with Petan and Ehlers is the both play with an edge. Petan is small but he doesn't shy away......Ehlers is 6'0 so he should be fine when he fills out. Perreault has proven there is always room for skill on the roster.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I hope we draft 9th again this year! ;) I hope we have to trade to get that high. :)

Just coincidence but every time we draft 9th we get a top 5 or even top 3 pick. Or at least that is how it appears so far.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The thing that works with Petan and Ehlers is the both play with an edge. Petan is small but he doesn't shy away......Ehlers is 6'0 so he should be fine when he fills out. Perreault has proven there is always room for skill on the roster.

I have been pretty firmly convinced that Ehlers would go back for another year of junior. I am beginning to doubt that with the way he is performing in Halifax. Maybe he is just riding Timo Meiers' coattails. :sarcasm: :laugh:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I have been pretty firmly convinced that Ehlers would go back for another year of junior. I am beginning to doubt that with the way he is performing in Halifax. Maybe he is just riding Timo Meiers' coattails. :sarcasm: :laugh:

Sending Ehlers back again would be a mistake. He has nothing to prove in the Q. He will just dominate offensively and probably develop bad defensive habbits. It worked in Scheifele's case as Scheifele was never as offensively dominant a player in the CHL until his last year as Ehlers has already been.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Sending Ehlers back again would be a mistake. He has nothing to prove in the Q. He will just dominate offensively and probably develop bad defensive habbits. It worked in Scheifele's case as Scheifele was never as offensively dominant a player in the CHL until his last year as Ehlers has already been.

There's no other option though, if Ehlers doesn't stick with the Jets next season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There's no other option though, if Ehlers doesn't stick with the Jets next season.

Here's a question... how did Drouin play a couple of games in the AHL this season? I thought it was NHL or CHL for him, too.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
vevk76.png

The fact that Ehlers is even up there with so few games played is pretty awesome.

He's not even that far off the top 3 wit A LOT of games in hand.

But Ehlers also taking a lot of penalties, most of them are unsportsmanlike or roughing :laugh:

As of yesterday (more or less)...what the points race would look like at season's end if the current pace holds out...

Conor Garland, Moncton has 71 points / 42 games = 1.73 per game
Angelo Miceli, Victoriaville has 65 points / 43 games = 1.51 per game
Nikolaj Ehlers has 53 points / 42 games = 2.12 per game

26 games left for Moncton
25 games left for Victoriaville
26 games left for Halifax

Garland -- 26 x 1.73 = 44.98, call it 45
Miceli -- 25 x 1.51 = 37.75, call it 38
Ehlers -- 26 x 2.12 = 55.12, call it 55

Garland -- 45 + 71 = 116 at season's end
Miceli -- 38 + 65 = 103 at season's end
Ehlers -- 53 + 55 = 108 at season's end

So Ehlers might not win the points crown (or he might), but he looks pretty good for top 3. Not bad for a guy who's played 16/17 games less than his top rivals.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

I'd argue that MP (5'10, 185) and Little (5'11, 189) are two of the Jets more effective players along the walls and in traffic. Size is nice, but the right mix of skill can overcome almost any size deficit.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
As of yesterday (more or less)...what the points race would look like at season's end if the current pace holds out...

Conor Garland, Moncton has 71 points / 42 games = 1.73 per game
Angelo Miceli, Victoriaville has 65 points / 43 games = 1.51 per game
Nikolaj Ehlers has 53 points / 42 games = 2.12 per game

26 games left for Moncton
25 games left for Victoriaville
26 games left for Halifax

Garland -- 26 x 1.73 = 44.98, call it 45
Miceli -- 25 x 1.51 = 37.75, call it 38
Ehlers -- 26 x 2.12 = 55.12, call it 55

Garland -- 45 + 71 = 116 at season's end
Miceli -- 38 + 65 = 103 at season's end
Ehlers -- 53 + 55 = 108 at season's end

So Ehlers might not win the points crown (or he might), but he looks pretty good for top 3. Not bad for a guy who's played 16/17 games less than his top rivals.

Your games for Ehlers should be 25, not 42. :)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
chlstats.com now has age adjusted pts/gp

Interesting.

Not surprisingly Ehlers is at the top of the heap in the QMJHL.

Frederik Gauthier is lumbering along at around 120th in the QMJHL.

Ehlers has over 38% of his team's points % (ranking 6th), despite having missed over 40% of the Halifax's games. If you adjust his team points % for the number of games played, it is about 64%.

As a comparison, adjusting for games played, McDavid's points percent is around 60% (adjusted for the number of games played).

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I was stoked when we got Ehlers. I was hoping for Nylander to drop, but Ehlers was my #2. As of now, I take Ehlers over Nylander. I think both are going to be great, but Ehlers seems like he could be great.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I was stoked when we got Ehlers. I was hoping for Nylander to drop, but Ehlers was my #2. As of now, I take Ehlers over Nylander. I think both are going to be great, but Ehlers seems like he could be great.

At our Draft Soiree, there was great elation when the Canucks selected Virtanen. It meant that the Jets would have their choice of either Nylander or Ehlers. All Chevy needed to do was wait and see which would be available, and then not blow the choice.

At this point, I am very pleased that it was Ehlers that fell to the Jets (though I really like Nylander, I don't think he will be as explosive and dynamic), and I was particularly pleased that Chevy so confidently and gleefully selected Ehlers.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
At our Draft Soiree, there was great elation when the Canucks selected Virtanen. It meant that the Jets would have their choice of either Nylander or Ehlers. All Chevy needed to do was wait and see which would be available, and then not blow the choice.

At this point, I am very pleased that it was Ehlers that fell to the Jets (though I really like Nylander, I don't think he will be as explosive and dynamic), and I was particularly pleased that Chevy so confidently and gleefully selected Ehlers.

I was so happy Virtanen was off the board. I was scared we'd take Fleury, Virtanen or Ritchie. Was nervous when Nylander was taken and Ritchie was still available. I think one the consistent mistakes GM's make is picking size and hoping for offence to develop. Ritchie doesn't score enough a giant among kids.

Nylander plays a more conventional game. It's also the way I describe Eichel in relation to McDavid. Ehlers like McDavid does things very few scorers can.

Ehlers isn't McDavid in case anyone thinks I am implying that.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I think the Jets had Ehlers as they 4th rated guy in that draft

That seems about right.

Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Ehlers

Based on what I've seen since, it might look like this in a few years:

Ekblad, Ehlers, Reinhart, Nylander, Pastrnak,

or best case for us

Ehlers, Ekblad, Reinhart, Nylander, Pastrnak

Status
Not open for further replies.