OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

Sep 19, 2008
All this fanbase is asking for is consistency at the position. We may have found it now. People are just going to be negative I guess but JD hasn't played a down yet and by all accounts is a huge student of the game

I also like how they're not trying to put too much on his shoulders. They are focused on improving the defense and not giving him too much on his plate early.

Reactions: ynotcaps

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
doesn't matter how many times you keep repeating we took the right player doesn't make it true , you post like JD has already proven he's the better player in the NFL when the fact obviously is neither has played a game yet

Maye has the higher upside and less to overcome due to having all the tools including being very mobile . JD had one great year on a stacked offense in his 5th year in college , hopefully for our sake he isn't a one year wonder .
"Maye has the higher upside" is completely unproven. It's an opinion. Your insistence that it's true doesn't make it so. Just as much as my saying "we made the right pick" is an opinion.

You don't have to like or respect my opinion. Nobody does. But you're the one who keeps piping up to snark or complain that we picked the player that our brain-trust unanimously liked the most and most of the rest of the league did, too.

So, back to my original point: stop whining. We didn't take Maye. We did take Daniels. And even if we hadn't taken Daniels, we still wouldn't have taken Maye. So get over it.

So let's put it to rest this way: in 4 years, if Maye's 5th year has been picked up and Jayden's hasn't, I'll admit I was wrong, without any whining or "yeah, buts". If the opposite is true, will you?

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
All this fanbase is asking for is consistency at the position. We may have found it now. People are just going to be negative I guess but JD hasn't played a down yet and by all accounts is a huge student of the game

I also like how they're not trying to put too much on his shoulders. They are focused on improving the defense and not giving him too much on his plate early.
I think the running game is going to be a much, much bigger part of the offense than it was last year. Yes, they'll take advantage of JD's legs, but I read somewhere after the hire that when KK was at ARI, they were one of the most (maybe the most) run-heavy teams in the league.

The facts that we'll be protecting/developing a rookie QB, that we signed another excellent RB, that we drafted the guy Peters is calling our Kyle Jzykczyk or however the hell you spell "YOU-sheck," and the fact that we still don't have a legitimate blind-side protector all point to us running a lot more. That will also open up more opportunities for JD to hit RPOs and play-action deep balls.

Should be a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Reactions: John Price

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Love for Sainristil from a couple of ESPN stories:

"I know he's little, but the dude was a baller," a Big Ten coach said of Sainristil, who checked in at 5-9 and 182 pounds. "Guys like that don't usually change. They usually produce at every level. Especially the way the game is played now, I think he's going to do well."

Who was your favorite pick in the entire draft?​

Matt Bowen, NFL analyst: Cornerback Mike Sainristil to the Washington Commanders at No. 50. A nickel corner with a playmaking mentality, Sainristil was one of my favorite defensive backs to study. He led Michigan's defense last season with six interceptions and seven pass breakups. Look for him to play a disruptive role as a rookie in Dan Quinn's defensive system.

Reactions: John Price
Sep 19, 2008
I love the pick so much and that's not just because of my Michigan bias. Guy can ball especially when he changed positions to defense and continued to excel

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
With him being a converted WR I wonder if he will be returning kicks. Would be nice to have a weapon with the new kick rules.

Reactions: g00n

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I love the pick so much and that's not just because of my Michigan bias. Guy can ball especially when he changed positions to defense and continued to excel
He's also a hell of a tackler and a blitz weapon. Love him.

Enjoy:

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Home/Road slate announced:

Home: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Falcons, Panthers, Browns, Steelers, Titans, Bears

Away: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Ravens, Saints, Buccaneers, Bengals, Cardinals

Showdown of top 2 picks at home, that should be a fun watch -- will definitely be a feature game. (They'll probably make us subscribe to ****ing Peacock for it...)

Reactions: usiel

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Home: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Falcons, Panthers, Browns, Steelers, Titans, Bears

Showdown of top 2 picks at home, that should be a fun watch -- will definitely be a feature game. (They'll probably make us subscribe to ****ing Peacock for it...)
Yep showdown of top 2 picks is what jumped out to me. Bears have a better overall roster but games must be played.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Man, he is a little buddy. But Darrell Green was short and could make plays on the ball (I know, I know…Darrell’s speed was inhuman). So I’m very hopeful for Sainristil.
Darrell was one of a kind , not only was he a hell of a player but to play as well as he did for as long as he did especially at his size was remarkable .

• Love
Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
We made the right pick. The guy who has the much higher floor, maybe a higher ceiling, and a bigger challenge for defenses. Maye could be the better player by 5th year option time, but he probably won't be. He's got a lot more to overcome to be able to get there,

We could have gotten dewey over a guy who has the prototype build and had one great season and one good season against AA-level competition. But we kept our heads and drafted the guy who's already demonstrated he can step out to meet the challenge of better coaching, better systems, and better competition.
I have no issues with you believing they made the right pick. In the end you may be correct. And you may not. But the point is we won’t KNOW until a number of years down the road. That isn’t too hard of a concept to understand.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

I believe it will be 2026 before we play the Pats and Drake Maye. Some folks will be in agony waiting for that day for a chance to say "Itolgyaso".

Reactions: usiel

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I believe it will be 2026 before we play the Pats and Drake Maye. Some folks will be in agony waiting for that day for a chance to say "Itolgyaso".
can't speak for others but i couldn't care less to say ''itolyaso'' , i just stated my opinion but still hope obviously that the team picked the right guy

the only issue i'll have if they picked the wrong guy is if the pro JD crowd/team comes out and tries to justify the selection by trying to spin it like JD was the slam dunk pick and we no choice but to pick him

the way i look at it is

1- CW was by far the pick to go num 1
2- JD or DM was really the only decision that had to be made out of the top 3 OB's
3- whichever QB was left of the three

the only other thing that bothers me is reports/rumors that we had JJ over DM and it seemed we held that view mostly because he was more experienced/closer to being potentially ready which i don't feel should have been a consideration since the chance we're going to be an elite team this year is extremely low

Last edited:

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I have no issues with you believing they made the right pick. In the end you may be correct. And you may not. But the point is we won’t KNOW until a number of years down the road. That isn’t too hard of a concept to understand.
My "certainty" is a shot at HP who's chirping that we effed it up. Goose and gander and all that. Now, apply the same standard to him, and all will be well.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
can't speak for others but i couldn't care less to say ''itolyaso'' , i just stated my opinion but still hope obviously that the team picked the right guy

Good that you say that, cuz it's time to get on board. This is our guy now. I get that the JD diehards are coming off a bit like, "This was 100% a no-brainer decision! EVERYONE that knows ANYTHING thought so! And it's over now, so neener neener!" But the naysaying Maye supporters that didn't let it go after the pick are putting a sour grapes vibe out there, too.

So yeah, it's time to get excited about Daniels. There's a lot to like. AND, yes, it's also time to stop pretending that it was a no-brainer choice or that there's nothing to worry about. The concerns about JD are real, so let's hope that his apparent humility is just as real.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

the only issue i'll have if they picked the wrong guy is if the pro JD crowd/team comes out and tries to justify the selection by trying to spin it like JD was the slam dunk pick and we no choice but to pick him

the way i look at it is

1- CW was by far the pick to go num 1
2- JD or DM was really the only decision that had to be made out of the top 3 OB's
3- whichever QB was left of the three

the only thing that bothers me is reports/rumors that we had JJ over DM and it seemed we held that view mostly because he was more experienced/closer to being potentially ready which i don't feel should have been a consideration since the chance we're going to be an elite team this year is extremely low
I have some similar worries. That we have a defensive HC and a merc for an OC (that is looking to flash quickly for his next HC gig) - no one that has any patience to develop a QB.

NYG and the MIN were reportedly trying to trade up to 3OA to take DM. And of course NE stuck there and picked him. But our FO didn’t even have him in the final 2? So I worry our coaches/FO didn’t have the same patience (or the stones) to go with the guy who might have more upside.

Obviously I’m totally speculating, and have no idea what our FO is actually thinking. I’m behind the JD pick - he seemed to be the consensus QB2 around the NFL. All 3 guys had things I liked, and things that scared me. I just hope our FO views JD as the best guy now, and the best guy in 5 years.

Also have no interest in “itoldyasos” BS - I just want a long term franchise QB, and the team to win. I’m excited to root for JD and am hoping for the best.

Reactions: hotpaws

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Good that you say that, cuz it's time to get on board. This is our guy now. I get that the JD diehards are coming off a bit like, "This was 100% a no-brainer decision! EVERYONE that knows ANYTHING thought so! And it's over now, so neener neener!" But the naysaying Maye supporters that didn't let it go after the pick are putting a sour grapes vibe out there, too.

So yeah, it's time to get excited about Daniels. There's a lot to like. AND, yes, it's also time to stop pretending that it was a no-brainer choice or that there's nothing to worry about. The concerns about JD are real, so let's hope that his apparent humility is just as real.
I'm behind every pick we made but i've been through decades of drafts in different sports so i'll wait to get excited about them half way through the season

part of the fun with the draft for me isn't just who we picked but discussing who we passed on , for example , was it a good move to trade down and pass on either Dejean or Kool Aid ?

time will tell and we'll probably start discussing the draft we had during the season when we get to see them a play a few games

Last edited:
Reactions: RedRocking and Jags

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I have some similar worries. That we have a defensive HC and a merc for an OC (that is looking to flash quickly for his next HC gig) - no one that has any patience to develop a QB.

NYG and the MIN were reportedly trying to trade up to 3OA to take DM. And of course NE stuck there and picked him. But our FO didn’t even have him in the final 2? So I worry our coaches/FO didn’t have the same patience (or the stones) to go with the guy who might have more upside.

Obviously I’m totally speculating, and have no idea what our FO is actually thinking. I’m behind the JD pick - he seemed to be the consensus QB2 around the NFL. All 3 guys had things I liked, and things that scared me. I just hope our FO views JD as the best guy now, and the best guy in 5 years.

Also have no interest in “itoldyasos” BS - I just want a long term franchise QB, and the team to win. I’m excited to root for JD and am hoping for the best.
didn't think about our new OC wanting to make a quick splash to go for a head coach job but you raise a valid concern and now you have me a little more worried , especially since our draft seemed to be all about taking the more the experienced player

but you never know , maybe it was the right way to go

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad