Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread (Part XIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I was stoked when we got Ehlers. I was hoping for Nylander to drop, but Ehlers was my #2. As of now, I take Ehlers over Nylander. I think both are going to be great, but Ehlers seems like he could be great.

Interesting I feel the same way now even though I was on the fence on draft day. What is your reasoning past the fact that Nik is ours and I have my homer goggles welded on pretty tight?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That seems about right.

Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Ehlers

Based on what I've seen since, it might look like this in a few years:

Ekblad, Ehlers, Reinhart, Nylander, Pastrnak,

or best case for us

Ehlers, Ekblad, Reinhart, Nylander, Pastrnak

No Sam Bennett in the mix supahdupah?

I heard TNSE felt there was a distinct top 5 (light rumor at best) and if Ehlers was in fact in that mix then we got pretty lucky.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
I'm not so sold on Bennett either. I mean he doesn't even have a single point this season! :sarcasm:

In all seriousness though, I never thought he was as hot as everyone was making him out to be.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Interesting.

Not surprisingly Ehlers is at the top of the heap in the QMJHL.

Frederik Gauthier is lumbering along at around 120th in the QMJHL.

Ehlers has over 38% of his team's points % (ranking 6th), despite having missed over 40% of the Halifax's games. If you adjust his team points % for the number of games played, it is about 64%.

As a comparison, adjusting for games played, McDavid's points percent is around 60% (adjusted for the number of games played).

Those are insane numbers. Adam Lowry was WHL player of the year when he was in on 50% of his teams goals. To put it in perspective, in his last junior year, Gretzky was in on 54% of his teams goals. And in his best NHL year when he scored 215 points, he was part of 50% of his teams goals. Now obviously you can't compare the two, BUT, anything over 60% in any league is unbelievable.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Interesting I feel the same way now even though I was on the fence on draft day. What is your reasoning past the fact that Nik is ours and I have my homer goggles welded on pretty tight?

Nik has the ability to shuffle the deck on the ice. Nylander doesn't. I believe Ehlers can create more. I think Nylander is going to be good, but plays a more conventional style. Now let me point out I haven't seen Nylander a tonne and now that Nylander is coming over to the AHL i can form a stronger opinion.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Nik has the ability to shuffle the deck on the ice. Nylander doesn't. I believe Ehlers can create more. I think Nylander is going to be good, but plays a more conventional style. Now let me point out I haven't seen Nylander a tonne and now that Nylander is coming over to the AHL i can form a stronger opinion.

I see the same thing with Ehlers. He has obvious high-end physical talent in terms of speed, agility, explosiveness, puck-handling and shot, but what really sets him apart for me is that he understands space and positioning of players on the ice so he is able to create plays. I don't think his hockey IQ is much less than Reinhart, but he can do things at top speed.

Are you sure that wasn't re: Trouba, or did lightning strike twice?

At this point, Trouba and Ehlers are looking like a couple of inspired draft selections. It's fortunate that they didn't get selected earlier, but kudos to the Jets for recognizing their potential and stepping up. It's clear that the Jets thought that they had hit home runs with both picks.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Maybe next year

Buff = Housley. maybe Enstrom?
Petan = Zhamnov
uhhmm =. Tkachuk , Thorburn perhaps? Theyre both big and strong
Ehlers =

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Maybe next year

Buff = Housley. maybe Enstrom?
Petan = Zhamnov
uhhmm =. Tkachuk , Thorburn perhaps? Theyre both big and strong
Ehlers =

Housley = Byfuglien? :laugh:

Maybe based on puck moving and the ability to put up points from the D position but other than that I don't see it.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Housley = Byfuglien? :laugh:

Maybe based on puck moving and the ability to put up points from the D position but other than that I don't see it.

yeah they don't look alike ... hahahahaha :D

Minie mouse vs Mighty Mouse

i meant puck moving ability only :handclap:

Buff Getting 100 pts as a D next year with Ehlers potting in 40 goals :naughty:

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
I was so happy Virtanen was off the board. I was scared we'd take Fleury, Virtanen or Ritchie. Was nervous when Nylander was taken and Ritchie was still available. I think one the consistent mistakes GM's make is picking size and hoping for offence to develop. Ritchie doesn't score enough a giant among kids.

Nylander plays a more conventional game. It's also the way I describe Eichel in relation to McDavid. Ehlers like McDavid does things very few scorers can.

Ehlers isn't McDavid in case anyone thinks I am implying that.

I've always said that the only thing you never draft is somebody who lacks effort.

my god are the HF podcasts ****ing terrible

Oh god, THANK YOU! finally somebody else said it. I am a huge consumer of podcasts in general in many different genres and I have never heard anything as bad or with hosts who sound as disinterested as this.

Also pretty disrespectful about most of the nations at the WJC.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Does (can) Ehlers get recalled to the Jets on March 22?

(They're not too far out of the playoffs, but a lot of teams in the mix.)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Does (can) Ehlers get recalled to the Jets on March 22?

(They're not too far out of the playoffs, but a lot of teams in the mix.)

They'll probably make the playoffs behind the strength of Ehlers and Meier, I suppose, and also now that they've improved their goaltending by trading #winzzzz.... :naughty:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
My Prospect Snapshot series has resumed!

This one talks about Nik Ehlers move to centre, a LONG point streak for Chase De Leo, and CJ Franklin possibly becoming a legit prospect.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2015...ot-nikolaj-ehlers-as-a-centre-scott-kosmachuk

*EDIT*

Related to the Franklin thing...

CJ Franklin
20 years old
20 games
5 goals
12 assists
17 points
5th in team scoring

Andrew Copp
20 years old
19 games
9 goals
8 assist
17 points
4th in team scoring

Not saying they are comparable prospects, but the similarities in production are interesting.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

This one talks about Nik Ehlers move to centre, a LONG point streak for Chase De Leo, and CJ Franklin possibly becoming a legit prospect.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2015...ot-nikolaj-ehlers-as-a-centre-scott-kosmachuk

*EDIT*

CJ Franklin
20 years old
20 games
5 goals
12 assists
17 points
5th in team scoring

Andrew Copp
20 years old
19 games
9 goals
8 assist
17 points
4th in team scoring

Not saying they are comparable prospects, but the similarities in production are interesting.

Great article and you do a great job on these snapshots. In this you mention Petan has yet to return to action, is that because he is hurt from the gold medal game as it looked like he was shaken up in that game?

jetkarma*

*EDIT*

CJ Franklin
20 years old
20 games
5 goals
12 assists
17 points
5th in team scoring

Andrew Copp
20 years old
19 games
9 goals
8 assist
17 points
4th in team scoring

People have noticed over the last month or so that Gary Lawless has been quick to mention Andrew Copp . A lot . At times not in the context of the segment or accurately , however let me phrase it this way , why do you/we think this is ?

Now let me state it this way , perhaps it is because he has and is hearing things form people that have insight , both to his level of play , to the readiness he has for the next level and that the Jets are paying very close attention to him and the possibilities at the end of the college season .

Jets could use a player like him and maybe sooner than later .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad