Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread (Part X)

Status
Not open for further replies.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
OK but how does merely being older make for higher level competition? If the players with the higher ceiling play in the CHL and if some (many, most?) of the best NCAA players turn pro after 1, 2, 3 years in the NCAA (roughly the same age to enter the NHL) then NCAA players are developing by playing against weaker competition. That is not the best way to develop. Those 21 & 22 year old NCAA players are largely of a lower calibre who are not going to play pro.

Corey Pronman has written a lot of good articles on this.

On average, NCAA is higher level league.

Look no further than players who leave the NCAA and go to the CHL because they are not able to get a regular roster spot.

Jets had one not too long ago in Yassin Cisse. He couldn't stay out of the pressbox and went straight into top 6 spot for a deep QMJHL squad.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Dude, I am talking about players that aren't top prospects. Top prospects aren't overagers. 20 years olds that are prospects are in the NHL or AHL.

I think we are miscommunicating somewhere because that sounds like my point.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Corey Pronman has written a lot of good articles on this.

On average, NCAA is higher level league.

Look no further than players who leave the NCAA and go to the CHL because they are not able to get a regular roster spot.

Jets had one not too long ago in Yassin Cisse. He couldn't stay out of the pressbox and went straight into top 6 spot for a deep QMJHL squad.

I don't understand that sentence.

I assumed that players who leave NCAA for the CHL do it to finish getting ready for the NHL. If they are being better developed why not stay in the NCAA until they ARE good enough for the NHL? OK, the fog lifted. You are saying he was not getting ice time in the NCAA so he tried the other route. Got it. That would stand as a perfect illustration if it is common. I haven't heard of it very often but that proves nothing. How common is it?

At any rate it isn't something I want to argue. I have no up to date knowledge of it at all. I'll take your word for it. Just a little surprised because it is a big change but it has been a long time too.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Not that common because you're dropping out of school and also if you're older than 20 you can't get into the CHL, and if you're 20 you still might not if they have their 3 OA kids.

It still happens though.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
The main thing is simply that 90% of your competition is all very physically developed. It's the same reason a guy playing in a European men's league like the KHL or SHL is more impressive than playing in CHL. The CHL may have a bunch of future NHLers, but playing a against men is a whole different bag than playing against skilled young kids.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
1-5 with 38 goals against before tonight. Hard to win when you allow 6 a night.

Yupp.

Also Burke and Hill have historically been better statistically than what's happening now. Maybe it's just Burke in a big slump?

Obviously the team was going to be worse this year than last, but this much worse was not predictable.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

Actually surprised to see the Raiders riding a less than 100 PDO (obviously 5 games isn't a great sample size though). I knew they'd be better this year than they were last year, but they've come out to a very good start and I thought some of that was luck based. Maybe not.

PA's Fenwick is also 2nd best in the league.

I'm hoping for Morrissey's sake this isn't just a result of a small sample size and Prince Albert really kicks some ass this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad