Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread (Part IX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I was hoping Karlstrom might decide to go to the CHL, but he wasn't selected in the import draft and as Garret said he already has a 1 year contract with Mora.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
If you take Ladd, Buff, Little and Hutch out of the lineup you better get more help for the line-up than one 2nd line winger. I would expect some major young players / prospects to fill in the roster. Either that, or the high picks become top 6 forwards or top 4 D. If we only rely on our own prospects we'll be in trouble. That lineup above is not going to be anywhere near a contender, in my opinion.

I think that in the coming years the Jets will need to translate their current players into younger high-end players and probably package some of their picks to get other top players.

(you have Petan playing on the first and third lines).

(did not notice)

we could get a few 1st, 2nd line winger, 3rd line winger, and a prospect :dunno:

Maybe we could get McEichel :naughty:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yes and no.

Karlstom could play in the AHL except he has a contract in Allsvenskan for this season.

Holden or some others here wiser than I in these situations could explain the transfer agreement between that league and the NHL.

Karlstrom isn't ready though IMO. If he does well we may see him play in the AHL next year.

I've never been able to find an actual copy of the transfer agreements for NHL with member IIHF nations that have signed the agreement.

I do know there is a window sometime in the summer between June and August (I don't know when) when NHL teams can sign signed players for a set fee (like 200-300K).

I do agree with garret that Karlstrom isn't ready. All teenagers from Sweden that have come over to play in pro leagues (ie Anze Kopitar, Niclas Bergfors, etc) have at least one full season in SHL or Allvenskan before coming over. Let's see how next year goes for Karlstrom hopefully in Allsvenskan with WJC appearance than we'll see.

We do retain Karlstrom's rights for 4 years rather than the CHL 2 years, so we have until June 1, 2017 to sign him. So no rush.

jetdiehard

Jun 14, 2014
Winnipeg
Change of times today:
Group A....9:30
Group B.....11:00
The rest of the week same times but different groups at different times.
Their is just amount of talent in Group B as in Group A.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Change of times today:
Group A....9:30
Group B.....11:00
The rest of the week same times but different groups at different times.
Their is just amount of talent in Group B as in Group A.

Yup I'm off to watch today. Be my first time in person I see for Ehlers and Karlstrom among others. Can't wait to see it.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm guessing with JST not attending the dev camp the chances of him signing with us are extremely low.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Good race , I think Kane , age factor , stronger legs at this point anyway .

I don't know I watched Ehlers out there yesterday and the kid can skate,he skates like Paul Coffey it looks like he's just floating on the ice.

jetdiehard

Jun 14, 2014
Winnipeg
Had a good day at the Camp, spent a lot of time talking to Karlstrom's Mother and Dad, great parents.
Today I liked a Glover-Brassaed-Franklin-Kosmachuk-Blandisi.
Joseph Blandisi was with Barrie last year.... 6-0...205.
Dale Hawerchuk is a guest coach while his wife is up in Gimli visiting her parents. Dale coaches Barrie.
I liked Karlstrom, his parents say that he might play with a very good Senior team in Sweden next year if he doesn't play in Canada.
Our draft pick this year...Matt Ustaski 6-6 225 is very solid player for a big kid.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Had a good day at the Camp, spent a lot of time talking to Karlstrom's Mother and Dad, great parents.
Today I liked a Glover-Brassaed-Franklin-Kosmachuk-Blandisi.
Joseph Blandisi was with Barrie last year.... 6-0...205.
Dale Hawerchuk is a guest coach while his wife is up in Gimli visiting her parents. Dale coaches Barrie.
I liked Karlstrom, his parents say that he might play with a very good Senior team in Sweden next year if he doesn't play in Canada.
Our draft pick this year...Matt Ustaski 6-6 225 is very solid player for a big kid.

Forgot about Franklin.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Some impressions from camp today.

Jussi Olkinuora was lost quite often and not steady on his skates. My favourite thing about him in college was his battling ability from bad spots but his positioning was so bad he often had no chance.

Not much to say on the other 4 goalies as Comrie and Phillips were barely on the ice and in group B I was more interested in skaters than Hellebuyck and Kasdorf.

Only one Jet prospect D in Group A and it was Karlstrom. He looked really solid. Lanky kid but his pivoting and skating stride continued to be excellent. Very good passer. A telltale sign in whether he is making noise making/receiving passes. Nothing from him unlike other prospects.

Petan and De Leo showed their skill but really struggled in battling drills. In games they tend not to be in this situation due to their playstyles but they definitely showed how much they need to physically develop before pro hockey. Petan was much more polished.

Austen Brassard looked every bit the only pro hockey player on the ice. Bigger strong faster than most everyone out there. Had a few solid shots as well. Not saying much against a bunch of teenagers and undrafted guys though.

CJ Franklin was pretty terrible. He has a very very choppy stride. Had trouble hanging onto the puck, did not make anything happen. Did work his ass off though. I for sure why I didn't really notice him at the Junior A cup for US last year.

Matt Ustaski was the MVP of Group A. Showed some very slick hands in close to the net and in the battle drills. Skating seemed fine. Used his size effectively for puck protection. Like what I saw. Franklin and Ustaski were the two guys I hadn't seen pretty much anything from from the 2014 Jets picks, they stood out for different reasons.

Among the non Jets prospects in Group A you could tell Latvian Olympian Ralfs Freisbergs was a step above the rest. Very smooth and calm in all his movements, quite solid all around. Would like to look at the Jets getting this guy in the system somehow. Brendan Harms showed some great hard work and even some hands as well. Hanna, Fleming, Kuhlman, Hickman, Blandski were invisible didn't notice any of them.

Lipon, Nogier, Harstad were not on ice/not at camp.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
On group B

Hellebuyck is huge. Takes up so much net. Both him and Kasdorf did really well against much tougher shooters than Group A though.

My favourite pick from the draft Jack Glover looked bad today. Not the worst D-man out there (non-Jet Kevin Lohan was atrocious) but he struggled with everything from puck control to angles to balance today. Hopefully it’s just nerves. That was not the same player that played for USNDTP in the games I saw last year.

Tucker Poolman didn’t stand out good or bad

Ehlers was smooth smooth smooth. He did everything effortless and as truck put it his enthusiasm was infectious. He was unselfish to the point of ridiculousness. In a 2v1 drill where the winger had to tip it out he waited and waited and did a tight turn near goaline to fire a pass back to Blomqvist in one case. Seemed to have so much fun and was one of 3 players that stayed on really late to keep fooling around (Kosmachuk and Olsen the others) as he clearly loved being on the ice. Gotta love what were seeing there.

Jimmy Lodge has a sick set of mits. His agility on the ice is also top notch. Definitely lots of tool for a playmaker. Starred in the stickhandling drills along with Ehlers.

Olsen did not really stand out today. Worked hard, but very little in terms of stick skills. In a practice no hitting setting though that’s expected of a grinder type like him.

Axel Blomqvist looked like bambi out there today. Fell all over the place. Once he gets going he’s fast, but it takes him quite a while to get to full speed. Has some nice hands in close though. Uses size effectively to protect puck but had trouble against other bigger guys getting the puck off their sticks. Basically what I’ve come to see from him past 2 years. He, in a way like Olsen, does not shine in practice situations.

Kosmachuk has an absolute snipe. Went bar down at least twice. What a shot.

Among non-Jets D Zajac seemed have a good set of hands and decent wheels. Looked impressive. Jared Hauf was Cody Sol part 2 as expected. Didn’t see Kossila on the ice. Sturgos and Walker were meh. Tatchell stood out to me among the non-Jets forwards with a couple of snipes top corner, but didn’t have much in skating.

Kostalek, Lowry, Stowkewych not on ice (or not at camp)

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I thought Glover couldn't make it?

I heard that to but I guess he managed to make it. This being his first day he was probably a little bit out of sorts and maybe because he came at the last minute it was a little hectic to get here. We'll see how he is tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad