Winnipeg Jets Jersey discussions - Part I

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
But they've already made drastic alterations to the roundel - the blue circle is thinner and has the True North notch. The maple leaf is very different and mostly covered by a plane (and if we're talking about not messing with symbolism, this would have to be at the top of the Canadian-symbols-not-to-mess-with List). There's already a thin grey outer circle that's not present in the RCAF roundel. So all that stuff is completely fine but if you make that thin outer circle red that's over the line? That makes no sense...

Because it then starts to resemble roundels that are NOT the RCAF.

Personally I wasn't talking about replacing the blue ring with a red one, it's the secondary ring I was referring to. Because the blue ring on the dark jersey is the exact same shade as the jersey itself, it ends up just looking like it has a thin red circle on the outside of the logo. It needs something else to give it some depth, like Mort said maybe a little white outline. Perhaps it's just the picture though, it seems like the ring is part of the jersey when in fact it's part of the cresting on the current jersey. That in itself gives it a different appearance.

I'm not talking about replacing it either. I'm talking about the fact that white / blue / red circles == the US roundel from WWII.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
If that's the case then I'm good with leaving the silver circle around the current logo.

Now the question is with the blue version, do we use blue or red helmets?

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
If that's the case then I'm good with leaving the silver circle around the current logo.

Now the question is with the blue version, do we use blue or red helmets?

I think if we go with red pants we can also go with red helmets. It appears red helmets were only used one season in the WHA (1977-78) when they first brought in the white shoulders on the blue jerseys. Prior to that they used blue helmets when the blue jerseys didn't have the white shoulders for the first 5 seasons. In the final season of the WHA (1978-79), they went back to blue helmets but had also changed to blue pants that year.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Because it then starts to resemble roundels that are NOT the RCAF.

I'm not talking about replacing it either. I'm talking about the fact that white / blue / red circles == the US roundel from WWII.

Where are these mysterious rules regarding conformity to military roundels from WW2? Is the Canadian military keeping us in check so nothing gets mixed up in the heat of battle. :laugh:

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Somehing about white shoulders on the blue jerseys is putting me off, I'd have just all blue with the stripes. I'd also stick with the silver ring on the roundel. Other than perfect. Let's get a petition to TNSE going haha

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Somehing about white shoulders on the blue jerseys is putting me off, I'd have just all blue with the stripes. I'd also stick with the silver ring on the roundel. Other than perfect. Let's get a petition to TNSE going haha

I think the blue jerseys with or without the white shoulders would look alright. When they first came out with them for the 1977-78 season it was a bit of a shock since we were used to seeing them without the white shoulders prior to that. However, I think it was because of the white shoulders that they also switched to red helmets for that season.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
This team has a lot of Americans on it - almost as many as Canadians. Our prospect pipeline is full of them too...so let's me them feel welcome with a Red, White and Blue color scheme! :)

We've already got plenty of stripes...just need to add some stars! I could totally envision Mike Eruzione rocking that on the ice, for the United States of New York Blue Jackets...

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
We've already got plenty of stripes...just need to add some stars! I could totally envision Mike Eruzione rocking that on the ice, for the United States of New York Blue Jackets...

There's no problem with the Jets going back to blue, red & white. Some may think of them as American colors and others may think of them as British colors. Looking at it that way, the Detroit Red Wings are wearing Canadian Colors.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
Anyone else dislike the way the Heritage Jersey is cut? I don't know much about reebok's jersey templates, but the HC jersey is different from the Jets home and away.

I am really nitpicking here. The jersey is a beaut. It just feels like there is too much material in the arms and chest.

All Reebok jerseys should use the same template. If you bought a gamer, the sleeves and the chest will be wider to fit over equipment, so you need to buy a smaller size if you are going to wear it as clothes, not over equipment. For example, I'm 5'11" and a fit 200lb. I bought a size 50 gamer heritage. It's still a bit baggy in the sleeves and the chest but overall it fits well. I wear a 54 with equipment on. If you bought a premier, they should fit like any other premier in the same size. Although i noticed the material on the HC premier jersey to thinner than other premier jerseys. Could be just me though.

TiimuSeLaine

Oct 23, 2016
I dunno. There's a bit too much going on and it looks very 'Team USA!!!' to me.

I made something just for you, I bet you like it! :sarcasm:

USAUSA_jersey.jpg

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the current grey around the logo might work fine if they carry forward the 'wings' patches to the heritage style jerseys since they also have grey in them. I also agree the red numbers with a white border would look better as there is already a lot of white on the blue jerseys since it has white shoulders. The red numbers would also look better with the red pants like the uniforms originally had in the WHA.

Yah, that would tie in the grey but I think the effect of the shoulder patches is different. They are added on in an out of the way spot, kind of like how the makers logo or the HC patch is added. Those additional colours don't have the same effect as adding another colour to the main area.

I saw the example with the grey outline and it just didn't work for me. I don't think the grey in the shoulder patches would fix it but maybe if the grey strip was much narrower it would. Just a border to make the main piece stand out. Should be almost invisible.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I was the one who brought it up, contrasting the British RAF Roundel (blue ring, red circle in middle), which is the basis for the RCAF roundel, with the French Air Force roundel, which is a red ring with a blue circle in the middle.

I don't know about "can't" - the Jets and the Canadian Forces have an agreement about what the Jets can and can't do with the logo, but I don't know the particulars. But what I did say is it is unlikely to go, as it messes with the symbolism the Jets are trying to go with.

There's plenty (too much maybe?) or red going on in the uniforms you guys are suggesting - you can get by without a red ring around the logo.

Without a border of some kind the blue just disappears into the background colour. It becomes a white circle with a maple leaf and a jet in it. It needs a border of some kind. The thing is that the border is external to the roundel and very thin. By itself it is almost invisible but its effect is to make the whole roundel stand out.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I hate to be a downer, as it's nice work, but as buggs mentioned - the design of that roundel is based on the RCAF roundel, and it's very unlikely that they'd approve a red outer ring.

Here's the RCAF roundel:

180px-RCAF-Roundel.svg.png

Here's the Jets logo:

180px-Winnipeg_Jets_roundel.png

The roundel with a red outline is similar to the old US roundel used around or before WWII. It's not just a flavour thing - it was intentionally designed with a link to the RCAF roundel, so any designs would probably have to keep that as an element.

Yes, the grey ring appears to actually be a part of the roundel (the Jets one that is), not just a border outside it. May be necessary. It also ties in with the Jet itself.

TiimuSeLaine

Oct 23, 2016
Nice to see that the quick concept stirred up some conversation. Lots of different views/opinions, so I decided to make few different variations of the away jersey according to above posts. But I do feel bad for spamming this thread with this one concept.

all_jerseys1600x800.jpg

added per request:
jerseys9-10.jpg

hint: you could right click image -> show image on new tab , to see it bigger.

EDIT: Added a poll here: http://www.strawpoll.me/12086200

Last edited:

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
liboZ01.jpg

I actually like the current jersey, however my only issue is that it sometimes looks too dark, almost black on tv. That could easily be fixed with contrasting shoulders, made a quick little mockup.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Nice to see that the quick concept stirred up some conversation. Lots of different views/opinions, so I decided to make few different variations of the away jersey according to above posts. But I do feel bad for spamming this thread with this one concept.

all_jerseys1600x800.jpg

hint: you could right click image -> show image on new tab , to see it bigger.

#4 is the winner for me. I'd be lining up for that bad boy day 1.

Edit: on second thought, I'd be all over #2. It actually works better with the thin red ring on the roundel. SOLD

Any of those I'd be pleased with, though.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
New company will be coming in next year, right?

Hopefully we do get a complete overhaul of the jersey, and not the logo.

I'd be pretty shocked if TNSE redid the logo. There is just too much invested in it, all of that merch that has it. I'd need to get a new cell phone case and they aren't cheap haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad