GDT: Winnipeg Jets @ Detroit Red Wings - 7:30 - FSD

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Didn't watch the game, but what on earth is with all the complaints about Frk??? He is not even close to Pulkkinen 2.0! Frk actually hits the net and has done well on our PP this season, who cares if he had a bad PP shift/game? He is one of the few guys on are team who has shoot first mentality and hits the net plenty. He also competes 100% more than Pulks ever did! Honestly some Wings fans will just pick anything to nag on, and it is sickening.
Misery loves company.

But yea, makes literally no sense to utilize a 95-100+ mph RHS shot on the PP. I mean, jeez, let's use our head. I'd rather watch them make perimeter pass after perimeter pass while they stand still and maybe take two shots. Maybe have Kronwall take a 60 mph one-t. That's how you really get quality scoring chances.

Was at the game. Big E looked great. Abelkader looked great. Love seeing that because it goes against the narrative of both players, though the criticism of Big Rig is justified so I really can't wholly say that. But Gator could score 70 points every year for the remainder of his contract and people would still find something to complain about. Not that it will happen, but it is indictative of the irrational hatred most have for him. The term of his contract is horrible but the money is about right. He brings a shit ton more to the ice than someome like Nyquist.

AA looked meeehhh but made up for it with his patience and assist for Booth's goal. Was really, really impressed with that. If he can learn how to slow it down like that in the offensive zone it would help him elevate his game to the next level.

Winnipeg made a ton of dumb passes out of their zone which helped but the Red Wings looked like a playoff team tonight. Whether they look like that next game is questionable.

Reactions: lomekian and Oddbob

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Nice to see the team can rally eventually. Just because this feels like a lost season doesn't mean you want to see them fall so flat on their faces that it feels impossible to get up.

I still say they'll fight for a playoff spot...and then draft too far down to have a realistic shot at a top end player.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Reason we won too is Winnipeg didn't play last night. Also I think me being in the garage all evening listening to the stream on my phone might have changed our luck. Had to change out a headlight. Ballast went bad on my truck. Maybe I'll have to try this more often. Haha

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I still say they'll fight for a playoff spot...and then draft too far down to have a realistic shot at a top end player.

k0jPoN6.gif

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
You probably would have liked it more had you listened longer.

Basically he says he thinks Blash is doing fine because we have a mediocre roster, and that if don't look a probable playoff team in a month or so, he'll be selling for picks. He says he was trying to go on playoff runs until (without stating it explicitly) Dats retired, but that hes now looking to acquire picks and prospects rather than trading them away. That said, he wants the team to at least be in with an outside chance of making the playoffs while we rebuild, because 1) the experience of playing in playoff games and high stakes games is better for young players and 2) Why would young players want to stay here or come here if we aren't at least trying to win seeing as we don't have any top players in their prime & 3) He doesn't want to ice a team that just throws the kids to the wolves and let them sink or swim *cough* (Oilers & Coyotes) *cough*.

Its not exciting, and it doesn't suggest a fire sale, but it is, despite the irritating nature of KH's speaking voice, pretty sensible...

Essentially he's trying not to rebuild like the Oilers have been doing the past 20+ years. He wants the young players to compete and he wants them to want to make the playoffs. He's not rallying for the team to lose like many here do on a daily/hourly basis... and thankfully so! So glad our GM isn't a HFboards poster. We'd be doomed for eternity if that were the case. :laugh:

On a serious note, Ken Holland is doing it the right way. You can't rebuild the team in 1 draft. Realistically it'll take 10 years.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Good way to react to that humiliating loss to MTL. Wonders though, if motivation is all that it takes, why not keep yourselves motivated all the time?

I guess its just too hard too keep up the energy at100% a whole season, and probably it was Winnipegs night "off", this time.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Good way to react to that humiliating loss to MTL. Wonders though, if motivation is all that it takes, why not keep yourselves motivated all the time?

I guess its just too hard too keep up the energy at100% a whole season, and probably it was Winnipegs night "off", this time.

Yeah I think results like this could be from multiple factors. The Wings (and fans) I think were pretty shook up over the loss and the guys responded with almost superhuman effort.

It was really a pleasure to see them dismantle Winnipeg for 80% of the game. They made the Jets look slow and uncoordinated and man were they frustrated lol. Detroit never took their foot off the gas, it was an impressive statement. This game developed a bit of a nasty edge like vs. Jersey and that's always a good thing.

This team looks a lot better without Ouellet.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Wouldn’t get too hyped about this result (although I do love seeing Nyquist boost his trade value). Winnipeg came into this game facing a bottom 25% team who has been embarrassed by mediocre teams of late. I highly doubt they came in here respecting this squad just like we rarely respected bottom feeders back in the day. But I guess we can still party like CBJ fans did back in the ‘00s whenever they beat us...

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
A 5-1 victory against one of the best teams in the league now qualifies as a garbage game? Boy, the attitude around here is great.

This game was everything I don't want. Id take the Montreal game over this. The only things I root for is

1) Larkin and Mantha having good games
2) a loss

I don't care about - and generally dislike - the rest of the roster, coaching staff, ownership, and organization sans Zetterberg. And it mostly stems from Holland making some of these players overstay their welcome due to horrendous loyalty issues. For example I liked Cleary for a while but Holland kept bringing him back long after he was useless, so now when I see Cleary it's like you can f*** off now, bud

Last edited:
Reactions: avssuc

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Essentially he's trying not to rebuild like the Oilers have been doing the past 20+ years. He wants the young players to compete and he wants them to want to make the playoffs. He's not rallying for the team to lose like many here do on a daily/hourly basis... and thankfully so! So glad our GM isn't a HFboards poster. We'd be doomed for eternity if that were the case. :laugh:

On a serious note, Ken Holland is doing it the right way. You can't rebuild the team in 1 draft. Realistically it'll take 10 years.

Yup, trying to maintain a winning culture or well atleast a competative culture will be key in our rebuild.

Players like Zetterberg and Kronwall will all be key for young guys, just imagine being Eichel, he was thrown into a garbage team with no mentors and was told "hey kid, make us win games". As long as we have Zetterberg he will be the teams leader, no matter how many amazing talents join the team.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Detroit has 27 points in 28 games, with a cap hit of $78.3M ($0 in cap space).

Edmonton has 24 points in 27 games, with a cap hit of $67.9M ($7.1M in cap space).

Riiiiiiight. Apparently 'doing it the right way' is spending another $7M do earn another 3 points in the standings (in one extra game played, and with no elite talent to show for it).

Ten bucks says the Oilers find a way to win a playoff series before the Wings do.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
A 5-1 victory against one of the best teams in the league now qualifies as a garbage game? Boy, the attitude around here is great.
If the GM goes on record, minimizing the 7 game losing streak as '5 bad periods', then you can't turn around and get fired up by a sample size of one convincing win.

Either every game stands in its own, or you take the overall trend of a certain duration, but you can't airbrush with one hand and emphasize with the other. Not to mention the inconsistency of fans calling Winnipeg one of the best teams in the league after a random December game, to make Detroit look good, yet trashing them as not having won anything in the playoffs, to defend the Wings' rebuilding strategy.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

No one can be motivated all the time. Even the Wings during their heyday weren't always on. They got blown out too. They got beat by bad teams. We all remember it.

The difference is when you're not motivated but just a better team, you can just win anyway. When you're not good, then you just lose. Staying super motivated for over half a year, on the road a lot, away from family, playing 82 grueling, physical games isn't a realistic possibility.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Detroit has 27 points in 28 games, with a cap hit of $78.3M ($0 in cap space).

Edmonton has 24 points in 27 games, with a cap hit of $67.9M ($7.1M in cap space).

Riiiiiiight. Apparently 'doing it the right way' is spending another $7M do earn another 3 points in the standings (in one extra game played, and with no elite talent to show for it).

Ten bucks says the Oilers find a way to win a playoff series before the Wings do.

Not exactly sure what you're trying to say here.

The Oilers way, was being at the bottom of the league year after year, drafting super high picks - and handing them 6 million dollar contracts. That is essentially the opposite of what Holland has been doing (stay middle of the pack, try to sneak into the playoffs, give average or old players bad long term contracts).

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
My point is that Detroit's strategy can't be touted as better than Edmonton's, because there is currently little difference between the success of the two franchises.

Now, one can argue that each strategy has simply been poorly executed, and their current respective success is not necessarily an indictment on the plan. But if that's the case for the Wings, then the anti-rebuild crowd needs to stop using Edmonton as a reason not to tank, if poor execution doesn't necessarily mean poor strategy.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
You totally deserved the win. Just a quick question - the Winnipeg announcer said the empty seats are due to there being a lounge with free food/drinks. Is that correct, or are the jet's just a poor draw?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
You totally deserved the win. Just a quick question - the Winnipeg announcer said the empty seats are due to there being a lounge with free food/drinks. Is that correct, or are the jet's just a poor draw?

the red wings are a poor draw

and i wouldn't believe that excuse for one minute. The empty seats are there because people aren't showing up to the games.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Not exactly sure what you're trying to say here.

The Oilers way, was being at the bottom of the league year after year, drafting super high picks - and handing them 6 million dollar contracts. That is essentially the opposite of what Holland has been doing (stay middle of the pack, try to sneak into the playoffs, give average or old players bad long term contracts).

The Oilers way was drafting way high and being wholly unable to draft any secondary support outside of the first round. Just look at the quality of players they pulled outside of the first round over the past 17 years. The best was probably Jarret Stoll back in 02. You can't build an entire team with only your first round picks.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
My point is that Detroit's strategy can't be touted as better than Edmonton's, because there is currently little difference between the success of the two franchises.

If you're solely talking about cup wins and deep playoff runs, sure.

If you compare the revenue from the Oilers 10 years of missing the playoffs vs. Detroit's 10 years of making them (tickets, playoff gear, concessions, parking, etc).... there's a HUGE difference in strategies.

Hundreds of millions of dollars of a difference. It's a business.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
There's 7 lounges in LCA plus 4 main restaurants plus most of the fans just walk around the Via concourse most of the time any ways that what's i would do with all of the TV monitors around to watch the game.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I don't know if it's free food/drinks the lounge is part of your season ticket package that could cost around $14,000 to $15,000 per season so you still pay for it. But yeah the lounges at LCA are probably among the biggest in sports and usually do hold quite a few people.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Misery loves company.

But yea, makes literally no sense to utilize a 95-100+ mph RHS shot on the PP. I mean, jeez, let's use our head. I'd rather watch them make perimeter pass after perimeter pass while they stand still and maybe take two shots. Maybe have Kronwall take a 60 mph one-t. That's how you really get quality scoring chances.
The problem with the power play with frk is they have no traffic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad