GDT: Winnipeg @ Flames (Battle Of Atlanta!) 7PM MT | SNW|

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
@aavickers: Expect lefty vs. lefty tonight. Hiller vs. Hutchinson seems to be the match-up tonight. #Flames #WPGvsCGY

JagrBomber

Oct 8, 2010
Calgary, Canada
Nope they're left-handed. They catch right, hold stick in left.

Must be a grey area then, because they do catch right, but their sticks are also curved right handed. Also when they go to shoot they shoot like a righty. I don't think it has anything to do with what hand you hold the stick in, because how would you determine how a skater shoots then? It is from which side of the body the blade of the stick rests on the ice I believe.

Not that this is a big deal at all, I mean who cares, but now I'm curious to know.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Should really just send Baertschi and Wotherspoon back down since it's obvious they're not going to play. Now they're actually missing games with Adirondack.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Should really just send Baertschi and Wotherspoon back down since it's obvious they're not going to play. Now they're actually missing games with Adirondack.

I agree, 1 or 2 games okay, but over that and it's best to get them games and important minutes.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Must be a grey area then, because they do catch right, but their sticks are also curved right handed. Also when they go to shoot they shoot like a righty. I don't think it has anything to do with what hand you hold the stick in, because how would you determine how a skater shoots then? It is from which side of the body the blade of the stick rests on the ice I believe.

Not that this is a big deal at all, I mean who cares, but now I'm curious to know.

I think that with goalies it works differently than with skaters. With skaters, righties and lefties each choose which handedness they prefer to shoot; it has really no correlation to handedness in the formal sense. Thus when we say "righty" or "lefty" it exclusively refers to which side they shoot on, because their true handedness doesn't mean anything when it comes to how they play the game.

With goalies, though, it seems like it really is based on handedness. Right-handed goalies catch left and vice versa. Hence why there is such a scarcity of right-catching goalies. Thus saying someone is left-handed (lefty) is sufficient to tell you that they catch right, and saying someone is right-handed (righty) is sufficient to tell you that they catch left.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ship them out while they still have value.

Again, earlier in the season, "no reason to keep them in the press box when they can be playing games in Adirondack."

Now, the opposite. Might as well just call up McGrattan to serve that role.
And that is still true, but the thing right now is Adirondack has a very light schedule. During this recall they have missed 1 game and do not play again until Wednesday. So now what is better for development, NHL practices for a week and a half, or 1 AHL game?

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
:help:

No, don't play Baertschi, call up yet another guy. That's logical.

:facepalm:

Relax, they're just making sure they have enough healthy bodies given the sickness going around. 23-man rosters are meant to have 23 guys, after all.

Besides, Granlund isn't playing either. Hudler is back in, Wolf is out.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Talk about an overreaction. The Flames still need a 23 man roster since it takes guys so long to get to Calgary from Glens Falls.

Hudler has the flu as well, if he is unable to play suddenly we have no one to dress if someone gets hurt in the pre-game or morning skate.

JagrBomber

Oct 8, 2010
Calgary, Canada

Like another poster already mentioned, these guys they called up are being paid NHL money, so that is a benefit in itself. Calling Granlund up doesn't mean he will get time over Sven (Although he might, he fits the third line better than Sven IMO) It just means that they are rewarding his play in Addy with some extra cash and filling an open roster spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: