Winnipeg and montreal move their AHL clubs

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/ahl/Manitoba-Moose-20-in-the-works-295455711.html

There's a strong chance the Winnipeg Jets will move their AHL affiliate to the MTS Centre this fall for the 2015-16 hockey season.
True North Sports & Entertainment had granted the group operating the St. John’s IceCaps a one-year extension last September, taking them through the 2015-16 season in the Newfoundland and Labrador capital.

The extension had been given, in part, to afford the group headed by former N.L premier Danny Williams some extra time to find another NHL affiliation agreement to take the place of the Jets-IceCaps deal.

It appears that has happened. The St. John’s group is believed to have struck an arrangement with the NHL’s Montreal Canadiens, who currently operate their AHL affiliate in Hamilton, Ont.

NorthStar

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Hmm.. I wonder if the St. John's IceCaps will become the Manitoba Moose once again and the Hamilton Bulldogs will change to the St. John's Bulldogs? or use the IceCaps name again? That I'm curious about ...

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I bet they stay as Icecaps.

They want to build a brand.
If they are moving in 2017, is there a need to build a brand? The Jets own the IceCap name, so the Habs would have to buy it from them. Going with Canadiens is the most likely IMO as the Habs are already quite popular there from my understanding.

Mighty Joe Moon

Jun 5, 2011
Lockport
If they are moving in 2017, is there a need to build a brand? The Jets own the IceCap name, so the Habs would have to buy it from them. Going with Canadiens is the most likely IMO as the Habs are already quite popular there from my understanding.

I thought Danny Williams owns the IceCaps name. He was leasing the team from the Jets and essentially acting as owner. I don't think the Jets had a lot of involvement in the operation of the team other than providing some personnel and collecting lease money. I'd bet they're still the IceCaps, but in Habs colors. I always thought the plan was for the Bulldogs to go to Laval?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I thought Danny Williams owns the IceCaps name. He was leasing the team from the Jets and essentially acting as owner. I don't think the Jets had a lot of involvement in the operation of the team other than providing some personnel and collecting lease money. I'd bet they're still the IceCaps, but in Habs colors. I always thought the plan was for the Bulldogs to go to Laval?
Oh maybe?

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014

He and his business group do.

The Jets own the franchise.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014

The Bulldogs owner owns the arena lease and the brand.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
The new 10,000 seat arena in Laval will be read for hockey in 2017, so I would assume this move is only for two years since it would make no sense for the Habs to pass up having their prospect a mere 20 minute drive from the Bell Centre.

MM658

Feb 7, 2011
Springfield, MA area
The new 10,000 seat arena in Laval will be read for hockey in 2017, so I would assume this move is only for two years since it would make no sense for the Habs to pass up having their prospect a mere 20 minute drive from the Bell Centre.
Which begs the question: why bother?
Why not stay put in Hamilton until 2017?

Par for the AHL course. "Let's piss off two existing markets, when one would do nicely."

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Which begs the question: why bother?
Why not stay put in Hamilton until 2017?

Par for the AHL course. "Let's piss off two existing markets, when one would do nicely."

If I remember correctly, didn't Copps get bought recently? You never know what is going on behind the scenes. Maybe the Bulldogs were about to get tossed from their lease.

This may be short term but it may also lead to a 30-30-30 and St. John's could end up Canadiens affiliate in the ECHL.

Ahl comets

Jul 5, 2014
If I remember correctly, didn't Copps get bought recently? You never know what is going on behind the scenes. Maybe the Bulldogs were about to get tossed from their lease.

This may be short term but it may also lead to a 30-30-30 and St. John's could end up Canadiens affiliate in the ECHL.

that sounds about like something the echl would do.... maybe they can play in the same division as alaska........

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
that sounds about like something the echl would do.... maybe they can play in the same division as alaska........

St Johns will never work in the ECHL. That 30/30/30 thing is way overblown...still....again. The NHL has no real interest in the ECHL and couldn't care less where any of their franchises are.

blizz71

Dec 27, 2014
Erie is currently averaging close to 5k a game in a recently renovated arena. Why move? Is their lease that bad? Will Hamilton offer them cheaper rent? Unless the Otters are offered such a great financial reason to move, I don't see why this potential move is needed.

If they do move, I hope the ECHL goes back to Erie. A team there would fit in nicely with Wheeling, Reading, Elmira, Glen Falls and Manchester.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
The Otters are not going anywhere. The Hamilton saga is still being played out, but the OHL has been a failure in Hamilton. Been there, done that. The OHL is a much better product than the ECHL. You won't see a Connor McDavid in any league but the OHL (or the NHL). None of my friends who are long time season ticket holders would support an ECHL franchise. It has been widely reported that there are currently 12 parties interested in buying the Otters, and they will remain in Erie. If not, another OHL franchise will move in here.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
St Johns will never work in the ECHL. That 30/30/30 thing is way overblown...still....again. The NHL has no real interest in the ECHL and couldn't care less where any of their franchises are.

So, according to you, the ECHL won't work anywhere where an AHL team was located. It won't work in places like Kalamazoo, San Diego, Peoria, Worcester, Norfolk, Charlotte, etc. I guess since it won't really work anywhere they should just fold the league.....:shakehead

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
So, according to you, the ECHL won't work anywhere where an AHL team was located. It won't work in places like Kalamazoo, San Diego, Peoria, Worcester, Norfolk, Charlotte, etc. I guess since it won't really work anywhere they should just fold the league.....:shakehead

I didn't say that, read the post. Didn't say the league should fold, read the post.

Kalamazoo has never been in the AHL. Worcester has never been in the ECHL. There are some places the ECHL works better than the AHL, some places not.

I said the NHL has no real interest in the ECHL except to send down 4 "prospects" and a goalie.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I didn't say that, read the post. Didn't say the league should fold, read the post.

Kalamazoo has never been in the AHL. Worcester has never been in the ECHL. There are some places the ECHL works better than the AHL, some places not.

I said the NHL has no real interest in the ECHL except to send down 4 "prospects" and a goalie.

You also have to realize this guy is worried about Utica being without an AHL team, which was why he was pegged as an ECHL dissident. And, granted, the ECHL isn't a prospect hotbed for the NHL, which is why it's a lower importance, but it's all about the market. Not everybody is gonna have an AHL team, and considering how the focus appears to be more about having your team as close as possible, there will be markets that won't be so lucky, so you might as well have a second league for those markets.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

No, KZoo was in the old IHL which was a higher level than the AHL and was affiliated with an NHL team. So was Peoria before they moved down to the ECHL and were quite successful before they went to the AHL.

Cincy seems to be doing quite well.

Every single place where the ECHL is replacing the AHL out east you have said won't work. To paraphrase the Hulkster "whatcha gonna do when the NHL runs over you?" and they move their team to Abbotsford after next year?

You have an extreme hatred for the ECHL being anywhere in the northeast but considering the northeast is "East Coast" not sure why you are so dead set against the ECHL coming into ANY open market.

Name ONE current AHL market that is losing a team where you said the ECHL would work? Answer - None.

You also have to realize this guy is worried about Utica being without an AHL team, which was why he was pegged as an ECHL dissident. And, granted, the ECHL isn't a prospect hotbed for the NHL, which is why it's a lower importance, but it's all about the market. Not everybody is gonna have an AHL team, and considering how the focus appears to be more about having your team as close as possible, there will be markets that won't be so lucky, so you might as well have a second league for those markets.

That is no reason to spout off pure conjecture that ECHL teams will not work in any market. You lose your team, so what. It happens. There are many FORMER AHL cities that have done just fine without the AHL team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3